It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Round 3: constantwonder v Skyfloating: How Rich Does A President Have To Be?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
The topic for this debate is ”A Multi Millionaire Is Not The Best Candidate For The Office Of President of the United States of America."

constantwonder will be arguing the pro position and will open the debate.
Skyfloating will argue the con position.

Each debater will have one opening statement each. This will be followed by 3 alternating replies each. There will then be one closing statement each and no rebuttal.

There is a 10,000 character limit per post.

Any character count in excess of 10,000 will be deleted prior to the judging process.

Editing is strictly forbidden. For reasons of time, mod edits should not be expected except in critical situations.

Opening and closing statements must not contain any images and must have no more than 3 references.

Excluding both the opening and closing statements, only two images and no more than 5 references can be included for each post. Each individual post may contain up to 10 sentences of external source material, totaled from all external sources.

Links to multiple pages within a single domain count as 1 reference but there is a maximum of 3 individual links per reference, then further links from that domain count as a new reference. Excess quotes and excess links will be removed before judging.

The Socratic Debate Rule is in effect. Each debater may ask up to 5 questions in each post, except for in closing statements- no questions are permitted in closing statements. These questions should be clearly labeled as "Question 1, Question 2, etc.

When asked a question, a debater must give a straight forward answer in his next post. Explanations and qualifications to an answer are acceptable, but must be preceded by a direct answer.

This Is The Time Limit Policy:

Each debate must post within 24 hours of the timestamp on the last post. If your opponent is late, you may post immediately without waiting for an announcement of turn forfeiture. If you are late, you may post late, unless your opponent has already posted.

Each debater is entitled to one extension of 24 hours. The request should be posted in this thread and is automatically granted- the 24 hour extension begins at the expiration of the previous deadline, not at the time of the extension request.

In the unlikely event that tardiness results in simultaneous posting by both debaters, the late post will be deleted unless it appears in its proper order in the thread.

Judging will be done by a panel of anonymous judges. After each debate is completed it will be locked and the judges will begin making their decision. One of the debate forum moderators will then make a final post announcing the winner.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
i have to use my extension i have inlaws here

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 06:05 AM
link   
As 4 days have passed and thereby also the 24-hour extension, I will now proceed with my opening post

Prosperity, Security, Happiness and Peace for ALL

Does that sound like a goal we all share? Can we all agree that this should be the main focus of a President?

If the answer is “yes” then having a multimillionaire as President is ideal. Someone who hasn’t achieved Prosperity for himself is unlikely to help an entire society achieve it. Someone who has achieved prosperity for him- or herself is therefore the ONLY person who should lead a country.

It is sadly and painfully obvious that most politicians are not entirely successful themselves before they get into office, which is why we cant expect them to support an entire nation in being successful. Rather than being judged by their own prosperity, a politician gets into office by following a path of studying politics in college, then joining a party, then looking good in front of the camera and doing a lot of talking.

A multimillionaire must be competent in generating revenue, remaining upright and confident in the face of difficult situations, criticism, enemy attacks. He must have management-skills, be able to recognize opportunities and turn visions into reality, be able to maintain focus on his goals persistently and be willing to work every day. If he didn’t have those qualities it is unlikely he would become a multimillionaire. All these qualities are needed more than ever in the circus we call politics.

We no longer need clowns who’s main area of competence lies in partisan polarization, opponent-bashing, creating fears and restraints and mis-managing the economy to the disastrous proportions it is currently reaching. FYI:

Economic crisis of 2008

Bailout of the U.S. Financial System

The current crisis serves as an example of what happens when our politicians are not at the same time money-experts and good managers. And, rest assured, a money-expert is not some analyst who himself doesn’t own a cent. A money-expert is someone who has money himself.

We need proven examples of success and competence to lead the country.

Lets look at the two current Presidential Candidates in this context. None of them come from a Multimillionaire Background:

As a child McCain was a light-weight-boxer. Then he spent most of his youth in the navy. Then he was a prisoner of war. Then he returned from the Navy and went into politics. Then he lost to George Bush for the presidential bid in 2000. Now he´s a candidate.

Obama lost both of his father in a car accident and his mother died of cancer while he was still young. Obama has admitted to abusing coc aine and alcohol in his youth. He went to college. Then he went on to work as a community organizer for a church in Chicago. Then he went into politics.

There is nothing wrong with not having a perfect track record, but this shows that going into politics does not require having financial success to show.

While we often blame Presidents of being “elitist”, we, as a society, have never really allowed extremely successful people to lead us. Instead we envy success and would rather bring them down to our level than to let them lead us. This is too bad, because having proven successes lead us would indeed change everything for the better.

Look at the poor negotiation skills our politicians display when going to foreign “enemy” countries. Look at the poor economic skills they display as we slide into debt more and more. This is because our leaders do not have too much hands-on-experience at success but only theoretical education in college.

Proper leadership can come from those who know their money-stuff. Think of the multimillionaire Ross Perot. Think of the financially competent candidates such as Ron Paul:

Source

In short: We certainly need someone in office who understands money, finances, business and economy.

I look forward to this debate and thank MemoryShock for setting it up. Good luck to my opponent constantwonder.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I apologize greatly my friends i have had a death in the family and will be away for about 1 week and a half i must most regretably withdraw... again i apologize and sky when i return will you grant me a challange match please?

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by constantwonder
I apologize greatly my friends i have had a death in the family and will be away for about 1 week and a half i must most regretably withdraw... again i apologize and sky when i return will you grant me a challange match please?

Challenge Match granted. Best wishes to your family.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Condolences, constantwonder.

Skyfloating will advance to Round Four.

top topics

join