It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush Pre Speech/Post Speech Thoughts and Dissection

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by pluckynoonez

Holy cow, I'm shocked no one else is commenting on this. I think it deserves it's own thread.

He's saying the bailout will only serve to reveal the true nature of large companies' financial situations causing them to fail, then goes on to borderline encourage the deception to continue!!!

If true, I'm not so sure there's any hope for this country...

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 03:54 AM
link   
I finally found a video of last night's speech. As a non American I was fast asleep while the speech was made and was quite surprised that it wasn't on our news channels, this morning.

www.cbsnews.com...

Watch CBS Videos Online

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Here also is a YouTube version for those having problems with the funky CBS video player:

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Well I watched the speech last night and wanted to add my 2 cents. I'm in Canada and have neglectfully never paid much attention to US politics...even though I know they affect everyone.

I have only briefly watched any other Bush speeches while surfing channels, so I don't have much to compare it to. However, what I noticed was how tired, defeated and worried he looked in comparison to some of his other nation addresses. I get the idea that if it weren't for the teleprompter sitting in front of the camera his eyes would probably have been all shifty. Two things that came to mind were that 1) I don't think he totally buys the idea himself and knows it's going to only get worse from here..and 2) with him looking so bad maybe it's a good thing as he won't want to postpone the elections and stay in power. Maybe he himself has had enough of his BS and lies.

I guess one can only hope

Michelle

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 05:30 AM
link   
I watched on C-Span2, it was quite clear and on que, and I sat there dissapponted and insulted.

First point - He refered to the proposal he released last week is what needs to pass, which leads me to believe he is pushing for no changes to correct the uncontitutionality of this proposal. He made a comment to justify the proposal's wording under the auspices that we are living in the 21st century with 20th century rules that are outdated to handle the current situation. (Excuse me, they would have if the regulations that were in place were at least adhered to if not circumvented already). Instead we are told we NEED "dramatic Government action".

He (and everyone else) is still referring to this as the 700B bailout, which we all know by know is a false number, when it says 700B at one time, so there are no limits to the powers granted to up this number significantly.

His explanation of how we got here is downright misleading and over-simplified. His scare tactics about credit drying up if we don't act on this now included the need to put credit back in the market for the average American to have access to it for their day to day needs. EXCUSE ME! Credit should never have become, and should never be for "day to day" needs (isn't this attitude what helped fuel this mess?) It shouldn't take credit to live a decent life - there is the lie.

All of the problems he said we needed this to avoid are already there and spiralling out of control. Loss of jobs, loss of homes, what world is he living in? We've been being beleaguered by all of this for two years now. Why didn't the crisis get addressed when it started?

His reasons to pass HIS proposal include removing risk from the markets, resuming the flow of credit, protecting the taxpayer, failed execs to get no windfalls off of this, and we need it ASAP. The draft as written does none of this for the average american, only the guys who created the mess.

Finally, I would like to say, excuse me Georgie, but, the way this is set up, the Secretary (instead of even our elected officials) gets a monopoly on the housing markets, and (he mentioned prices would rise again after this is accomplished, but not in so many words) but what you actually have here is a system by which manipulation (price fixing?) enter into play once that is accomplished. Another shell game folks! Oh, and the taxpayers get paid back at that time, not by actually being reimbursed by the proposal, but buy the government making THEIR money back when this happens.

Sorry, don't buy it, feeling really insulted at this point by the scare tactics and no real discussion about what this proposal really says.

I want the current draft, and I want to see it now, before they shove it down our throats.

BTW, Congrss is passing A LOT of legislation right now really fast, like they wanted to do with this. But this is overshadowing all the other garbage that is being enacted this week in a mad rush to get it out of the way. We can only wonder what slipped by, but I can guarantee when this all blows over and we have time to actually look at it, we are not going to be any happier about those bills than this. I think a lot of the current attitude of the proposal is being enacted in other areas as we speak. It may take us months to disseminate what changed in this Country this very week (who else got broad unconstitutional powers, etc.)

How many things are they going to have the hands of the next administration totally tied on for the next term? They aren't going to be saving us or the Global Economy. They are locking in just enough time for themselves to get out of the way, while we go down anyway.

[edit on 9/25/2008 by Relentless]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ron Paul Girl
reply to post by SEEWHATUDO

I'm tired of this. I AM TIRED OF THIS. Every single congresswoman and congressman that votes for this bail out should be kicked to the curb when their term expires. KICK THEM TO THE CURB!!! I'm sick of them selling my children down the river. How many trillions have the saddled on the next generation? I'm losing count! And they refuse to touch the topic of social security because they all know they'll all be dead before the crap hits the fan. They're a bunch of self-centered baby boomers. First their parents spoiled the crap out of them and now they're taking everythign from their children and grandchildren. SPOILED BRATTY BABY BOOMERS!!!! What they're doing is an abomination!!!!!

I think you got it wrong....
I am the last end of the baby boomers, I walked over a mile to school every morning, I lived without a tv, put up with a party line, spent many nights at work with my mom or dad, wore my sister's hand me downs, and lived poor!
it's your generation that is the spoiled ones...don't have enough sense to get out of the road when a car comes at you, your taste of proverty has been watered down by social service programs......you can't sit still in school without being medicated.

although I agree...what they are doing is just plain wrong, sick, and well, unamerican! not to mention...immoral as all heck.

[edit on 25-9-2008 by dawnstar]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Bleys

We don't get approval, our voices are not going to be heard.
According to most major news outlets this thing is going to be passed regardless of how the people feel.
Why do we even continue to bother with this whole Democracy charade?

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 06:06 AM
link   
The speech was a bunch of fear mongering mixed with the administrations version of "Bush Economics For Dummies."

The entire time I was watching I just kept thinking that the "bandaid" sounds an awful lot like the "Subprime" crisis that they say started this.
1. Take a loan for money that you do not have and cannot afford based on possible future outcomes.
2. We can work out the obvious flaws and the "what if's?" in the plan at a later date.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by XFoxMulderX

The strain of the job is taking it's toll. He looks as though he has lost weight.
I am not in favor of the bailout, but I see no way to avoid it. If we don't do it, we will end up with a depression (not recession) that will make 1929 look like a quiet stroll in the park.
I would favor, instead of starting at the top with Wall Street, start with the little guys who are facing forclosure. (Not the one wo lied, not the ones who got a house without even having a job, but the families that are struggling to keep their homes.)
I would also like to see prosecution for these CEOs who let these banks and companies fail while they have their golden parachutes. They get their millions regardless.
We also need to get rid of the "good old boy" network in Washington. Vote them out! Put in a new group, and if they don't do what they are supposed to do, vote them out after one term.
Just the ramblings of a madman too early in the morning.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Can someone please explain to me why the administration is not budging on the executive compensation?
Could it be because Paulson made his millions the same way?
In the real world we do not get compensated for essentially destroying the company we are working for.
I do not get the sticking point here.
These people should be prosecuted not compensated with millions of dollars.
Crazy.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Deal close on $700 billion financial bailout plan

A bipartisan meeting was set for Thursday to begin drafting a compromise, which top Democrats said they hoped could pass within days.

link

So what was the song and dance for last night?
Yep we hear you but we don't care.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

I agree I was one of those that keep repeating that our economy was nothing more than an illusion propped up by GDP figures and manipulations of interest rates.

I WAS RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We were heading for a financial crisis and Bush apologist were calling it nothing but liberal lies

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by subject x

I think he actually meant my "subjects" and my "servants" or perhaps just his "slaves tax payers"

[edit on 25-9-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 07:20 AM
link   
As a final note,

What this people are planning is the end of our nations sovereignty to the bankers around th world that seat behind the federal reserve.

Our nation like I have said many times is not longer of the people, it doesn't belong to us.

The demise and downfall of the American nation is coming soon and the plans for a new America is forming, one that we will have to share with two other nations.

Get ready because we are for very hard times ahead.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Tired, and somewhat irritated, I once again impose upon our little community to endure one of my verbose diatribes.

This thread dabbles in a number of aspects of this beautifully orchestrated gambit to concentrate wealth and power. But the question on the issue of guilt attracted me most.

Some evidently emotionally conjoined with the media/party paradigm continue to address the cause to the ever-present partisanship flavor which is transient and illusory.

Many might disagree that this is 'orchestrated' at all. Some honestly believe that we, as a people, can avert the coming financial overhaul that will in inevitably be needed to restore some semblance of normalcy to the American economy. Others would accept, to coin a phrase, "the avalanche has begun, it is too late for the pebbles to vote." Meaning, the forces set in motion when the corporate machine became inextricably entwined in governing the country are beyond the scope of 'committees' to address.

Who's fault is it? Well, suppose we consider this; in the American form of government, where the people installed checks-and-balances, and required servant s to take oaths to serve the interests of the population, there were MANY opportunities to address and react to this situation - AS IT WAS DEVELOPING. Our elected officials, and there sanctioned appointees, were all responsible.

At the end of the day however, all the pieces and every stratagem invoked, was under the watchful eye of one person. One decider, one commander in chief. Yes, our President, at all times, was intended to be the one who stood as our ultimate recourse, our last standing soldier, devoted to the defense of the many, from ALL enemies, ALL opposing forces, ALL who would diminish America's Union, regardless of who or what they are.

But we don't have an ally in that office. We have someone who's loyalty appears to be focused on the continuation of the corporate overcoat the government now wears. The last truly committed presidents to timidly or courageously confront this century old conspiracy were first opposed by those who's job it was be our 'watchful eye', the press. Then they were internally assaulted by the social elite culture inside the halls of power, marginalized, or maligned, or simply manipulating events to minimize resistance. Finally, apparently were even confronted with deadly force.

The lack of transparency in government is most frequently packaged and sold to our representatives as protecting commercial trade, and for the more gullible, national secrets.

In the end, only the President would have been able to confront the issue, bring it forward, and divulge the real truth to the American people. How this has not occurred meaningfully in the past is testimony to the corporate machine and it's agenda.

Sorry, I know Bush didn't institute the policies which exacerbated the endless greed of the financial masters in this country. I know he alone, could not have swayed the corporately-masterminded policies and government processes that allowed this to happen. I know that neither he, nor the Clinton regime, nor the actor-president Regan's regime, nor Nixon's regime, nor any others could have simply eliminated the threat of the transnational corporate financial masters.

Nevertheless, we did not vote them in the office to do so. We voted them into office to take responsibility, to fight for us, even if they lose, even if they appear the fool, even if they are forever shunned by the political elite base. The oath is clear and simple: Defend and protect the Constitution.

It is a simple charge.

Where did that come into play here? Who defended the Constitution last? Who offered up their political 'juice' to fight the actual 'good fight?'

Knowing how the mechanics of the FED and it's policies work, knowing how the SEC and the congress simply 'watched' and did nothing for years on end, how can they unashamedly contend that 'theyr are doing something about it now?"

The so-called congress and Senate are NOT gathering to determine whether or not the 'bailout' is appropriate or in our best interest. That is what the media will tell you, and that is the 'show' they will put on. THE REAL REASON is to try and figure out how to PASS IT DESPITE the glaring reality that the beneficiaries are exclusively those who gambled other people's money away. The investment class, the elite, the base of both parties. That they all want to do this 'painlessly' is there goal. And when I say painlessly, I mean for them, because our economic situation is not a factor, only their sponsors' and their own. They've seen this coming since months ago (at least) and continued the 'economy is sound' game, believing it would be someone else's problem. The real problem is that the Market is smarter than all of them, and will be resistant to their games as much as the planet resists our ever-increasing efforts to 'control' it.

/end rant

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I literally could not look at the screen after the first few minutes. It felt like my eyes would explode and gave me a stabbing pain in my head. I'm sure it's psychosomatic...right!? Or at least psycho...

One thing that struck me was that he was absolutely talking about details he did not intellectually understand. I think he failed to present the material in a way that Joe Six Pack could relate to.

Lastly, I noticed that, at the end, he did say "May God Bless You" but he didn't add his famous tag line of "And May God Bless 'Merica". Kind of odd.

Maybe he's as sick of us as we are of him. Good riddance.

I heard David Gergen commenting that Bush's speech was clearly lame duck, uininspiring.

Chuck Todd pointed out that, once again - just like after 9/11 and the Iraq rollout - Bush failed to use his bully pulpit to instruct average citizens as to what they could do or sacrifice to help America. Just another "Trust Me..." speech.

[edit on 25/9/2008 by kosmicjack]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 08:37 AM
link   
While bush minor gave one of his most articulate speeches in recent times (They must have upped his meds) he left far more out than he told such as the history of deregulation and its roots Reagan administration (wouldn't it have been wonderful if he had come out and admitted the whole premise had been proved wrong?) and the history of his administration's failure to enforce those regulations.

PS I am not saying it was a good speech... it clearly wasn't... it was just articulate... which he usually isn't.

[edit on 25-9-2008 by grover]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 08:42 AM
link   
What is not mentioned in his speech is what caused the problems or how to fix them. The usual scare tactics are used, indicating that Americans will be unable to buy cars, send their kids to college or finance business loans. The real problem is "liar loans." A great article can be found on liar loans at www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/robertpeston/2007/08/liars_loans.html
Congress will pass the bailout without fixing the problems. Thereafter, the right people will make money buying the mortgage backed assets (at pennies on the Dollar) on the taxpayer's dime. The problem can then reoccur, allowing more taxpayer bailouts at a future date. Has anyone written a book called "The Fleecing of America?" It's a catchy title for this scenerio. Congress needs to act today before anyone knows the details or opposition can mount. This from a President who maintains we are not in a recession!

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Yes and haven't we heard the "Trust Me..." speech so many times and the outcomes are always the same, Americans get screwed.
This is short term memory and yet we still continue to make the same mistakes.
Patriot Act-Trust me
Deregulation-Trust me
WMDS/Iraq-Trust Me
and most recently, the thing that most irks me, the supposed end all to our financial mess, drum rolls please....
The Stimulus Package-Trust Me

But it really doesn't matter this time around because nobody on the hill gives a flying fig about what American's want.
I guess maybe the lesson has been learned but the ones who represent us just don't care.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I like THIS speech more.

Here he gives us the reason for the mess he (together with his financial geniuses) made. Everybody should have a beautiful home, he said, and F and M made it possible for him.
IT is a beauty, isn't it.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join