It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Debate to be delayed due to the economy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Here is where it all begins folks. I am almost basking in the glow of rightiousness right now as far as my friends and family are concerned. I understand that this is a BIG matbe but the fact that it is even being discussed is something most people would have never predicted. That is unless you're an ATS'r
Enjoy!

Debate to be delayed?

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Am I the only one here folks?
Maybe I'm over reacting but this sure scares me.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by cbass

No, there are others here. Good evening.
Anyway, the fact that McCain is willing to delay the debate, and Obama is NOT, tells me that Obama is more interested in scoring points in a debate, than he is , in helping to develop a solution to the crisis that we are in.
Then again, I'm not surprised. He hasn't spent very much time in the Senate since he was elected. I don't think he'd even know what to do.
If Obama can't carry out his duties as a Senator, how does anybody expect him to carry out his duties if he becomes President. Can you image if another crisis as serious as this occurring if he becomes President, and he says, I can't get involved. I have a tea party in the Rose Garden today.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 07:56 AM
link   
OP, try not to pat yourself on the back too hard. This may be the end of the world as we know it, to borrow a phrase. Enjoy.

And what does any of what you've posted have to do with the possible cancellation of the debate? Prof at least broached the subject.

Debate or not, it seems impossible that the junior senator from Illinois could not reap some political benefits from all that's happening. Then again, there is something simply fundamental to his make-up that many, many Americans simply are not willing to vote for.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

I see is as the other way round....why is McCain running scared of this debate?
Surely this is the best place and time for this kind of debate.....in the midst of a crisis, let us, the public, hear what these guys are doing, and will do?

To cancel this and run back to Washington, or where ever, and discuss this in private does not sit well with me.

Obama wants this debate public....well he appears to want to discuss this out in the open. What is wrong with that?

Truly, what can they accomplish by postponing their campaigns? I think McCain is stalling, and is trying to paint himself in a light of "yes America..I am doing something...look, I will help with the economy" How the heck does he think he is going to do that? Most sensible citizens will see through this, I hope.

[edit on 26-9-2008 by celticniall]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   
McCain is afraid of the hard questions "like what part did he play in the economic meltdown"

I doubt there will be any debates. A real debate would sink McCain for good.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   
MSNBC is reporting that McCain has said he will be going to the debate. Yay!

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

I'm having a very hard time understanding your logic. Just because Senator Obama is prepared to attend a scheduled debate does not in any way mean that he's unconcerned with the state of the economy. The debate was obviously to discuss issues related to the economy and for the American people to see where there candidates stand. One little meeting postponing this important event will not fix the economy. Do they actually believe us to be that dimwitted. Sounds as if McCain wants to buy some time for his poor choice of a running mate.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I can't wait to see this trainwreck.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Yes, this should be the most entertaining, if not informative, event in this riveting year of campaigning. It is supposed to be a debate focusing on foreign policy, but there is no way that this economic meltdown won't be at the forefront of the proceedings.

The old man will fire off some zingers, much to my delight [even though he's sold out to the neocons and won't get my vote]. His junior opponent is going to need to lighten up a bit, while still appearing appropriately somber given what is happening with our country's finances.

And then, there's next Thursday's VP debate. Oh, boy...

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
DO you guys actually expect that ANY questions asked will not be rehearsed or pre-arranged?

This is a debate like "Lost" is a reality show.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
The debate will be broadcasted live here in Portugal aswell.

Yet, I'm going to watch it like entertainment, as it is provided to us.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
U R misinformed.

McCain has UNsuspended his campaign after successfully crashing the bailout like he did 5 planes to come tell America he is smart and will regulate all the deregulation he passed for 26 years.

I watch FOX.

Leave me alone mods: THIS IS MCCAIN'S PLATFORM.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Its all political posturing. On both sides.

Obama wants the debate to go on because McCain has up til very recently been saying the fundamentals of the economy are strong, and this is his chance to whip him around a little in public while the public is in a frenzy over said economy.

McCain wanted the chance to fly to Washington and make it look like his very presence there, and his inherent leadership qualities were enough to make the deal go through and save our entire nation. Sometime shortly after he got to Washington, however, it became abundantly clear that the American people really dont want a bailout at all. Now the Republicans are taking a different approach, a more responsive one to the mood on the street.

In fact, the Republicans have been trying to give McCain credit for.....something...slowing down the passage of the bailout plan is the only thing I can see at this point. They seem to me to be trying to use the fact that there is a Democratic majority to force the Democrats to pass a plan without them so that they are not left holding the bag for the ire from the public that is sure to follow.

The only wise thing the Democrats can do, (politically) is to refuse to move forward without agreement from the Republicans so that both parties take the blame for whatever response the public has to the bailout. Of course, this long delay makes the "dire necessity" of a bailout much more questionable every day that goes by. If the response is so desperately needed, one would not expect Wall Street to be able to wait weeks and weeks for the bailout, and if they CAN wait that long, then it isnt as dire as they are making it out to be. Certainly not dire enough to justify the extreme language in the original draft about no oversight and review by court or other agency.

How anyone can give McCain credit for being any sort of orchestrator of any bailout or anything related to the bailout is beyond me. Several times today on CNN it was mentioned that McCain hadnt even read the original 3 page draft, that most of us here read several days ago. He sure is right on top of this. (Though I am certain he must have read it by now, for the debates)

politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...

(CNN) – As John McCain returned to Capitol Hill Thursday to support the passage of a package to address the nation’s financial crisis, Democrats spent the morning gleefully directing reporters to a statement from the Republican nominee Tuesday – three days after the bailout bill was introduced – that he had not read the text of the administration’s proposal.

"I have not had a chance to see it in writing. I have to examine it,” he told a Cleveland television station.

Obama on the other hand is walking on thin ice too, it is clear that aside from political maneuvering BOTH parties want this bailout. The problem for both candidates is the the people (the voters) of both parties seem pretty concerted in their opposition to the bailout.

Basically what I expect to see is Obama stating it is necessary, but only because the Republicans made it so, and what I expect to see from McCain is further token protest, in order to play to the displeasure of the people.

[edit on 26-9-2008 by Illusionsaregrander]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
Its all political posturing. On both sides.

Especially the guy that didn't change his plans to address the public.

But no, the guy that followed Sarah Palin's schedule to attend a Debate Watch party in Alaska with MOOSEBURGERS, but changed his mind when he took his pills is just as much to blame.

Oh, you said that.

So, why is this Obama's fault again?

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by cbassHere is where it all begins folks.

Nah, nothing new here. Just the illusion is starting to lift and ppl are standing in awe of something that has been in the works for quite some time. Sad really. And anyone thinks that following through or not with the debates will really make any difference to the reality of our situation is still resting under their blanket of illusion.

The ONLY thing that shocks me is that ppl still are buying into the drama being played out by the politicians (aka actors).

new topics

top topics

join