It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists discover Dark Flow

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Scientists discover Dark Flow

www.space.com

As if the mysteries of dark matter and dark energy weren't vexing enough, another baffling cosmic puzzle has been discovered.

Patches of matter in the universe seem to be moving at very high speeds and in a uniform direction that can't be explained by any of the known gravitational forces in the observable universe. Astronomers are calling the phenomenon "dark flow."

The stuff that's pulling this matter must be outside the observable universe, researchers conclude.

When scientists talk about the observable universe, they don't just mean as far out as the eye, or even the most powerful telescope, can see. In fact there's a fundamental limit to how much of the universe we could ever observe, no matter how advanced our visual instruments. The universe is thought to have formed about 13.7 billion years ago. So even if light started travelling toward us immediately after the Big Bang, the farthest it could ever get is 13.7 billion light-years in distance. There may be parts of the universe that are farther away (we can't know how big the whole universe is), but we can't see farther than light could travel over the entire age of the universe.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
the rest of the article explains that its something bigger than most of the galaxies causing this. we already know nothing about dark matter and dark energy, or even how to see/use them, but maybe we can learn more.

---
I did a quick search, and didnt see this yet. also, i put it breaking news because it isnt really about aliens and UFO's, at least that we all know of

www.space.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
can someone throw stuff in it and make it come out weird.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Osama Bin Laden at Area 5

well i just threw a cat up into it, and a taco came out. dont get to excited, it didnt have any cheese on it.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Cool thanks for the post, interesting stuff
I wonder what is causing the pull?

The name 'dark flow' gave me a chuckle. I am just waiting for scientists to form a new branch of astrophysics called 'Dark Science'. That seems to be the direction they are going in!

[edit on 24-9-2008 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
It isn't dark matter, it is plasma. Gravity has little to do with it, electromagnetism has a lot to do with it.

I love how these things come as such a surprise to the mainstream, when it is not a surprise at all in plasma cosmology.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   

When scientists talk about the observable universe, they don't just mean as far out as the eye, or even the most powerful telescope, can see. In fact there's a fundamental limit to how much of the universe we could ever observe, no matter how advanced our visual instruments.

This is probably the most fundamental and inquisitive ideal for the abilities of traveling in the areas of "Speed of Light" probabilities.
Though the visible universe is limited, it would take the event of being able to travel faster than the "Speed of Light" to put our selves before the advent of the suggested "Big-Bang" theories.
Now that the LHC [Large Hadron Collider] is up and running, maybe we will be able to define our reality of "Universal Travels" with the findings the LHC may be able to produce.
I for one do think there is what one would call the "Bubbled Universes" theory, though there is no tangible evidence for this actually existing, it does seem plausible for foods of thought and considerations.

The Bubble Universe / Andre Linde's Self Creating Universe

These are the theories discussed in class. The bubble universe concept involves creation of universes from the quantum foam of a "parent universe." On very small scales, the foam is frothing due to energy fluctuations. These fluctuations may create tiny bubbles and wormholes. If the energy fluctuation is not very large, a tiny bubble universe may form, experience some expansion like an inflating balloon, and then contract and disappear from existence. However, if the energy fluctuation is greater than a particular critical value, a tiny bubble universe forms from the parent universe, experiences long-term expansion, and allows matter and large-scale galactic structures to form.
The "self-creating" in Andre Linde's self-creating universe theory stems from the concept that each bubble or inflationary universe will sprout other bubble universes, which in turn, sprout more bubble universes. The universe we live in has a set of physical constants that seem tailor-made for the evolution of living things.

source:
web.uvic.ca...

We as a species have came a long ways in the past few decades, but if you ponder the entirety of the ages that have passed that glanced at our stars from early prehistory eras, "We are just a bit more educated, and getting smarter by the day!"

Good thread OP, it should be getting more attention than what I have seen.

Could be the most important part of the next generation of extra-stellar probabilities!!

[edit on 063030p://0774 by Allred5923]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

I would sign up for Dark Science in a nanosecond. it sounds kind of bad-donkey.

a thought ive always had:

what if light from the stars is light matter? we use it as energy all the time, though nature does it more efficiently.

maybe dark matter is just so illusive because we are surrounded by so much light.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Ionized

interesting. have you posted anything with more about plasma? i was thinking if it could be magnatized with ease it might make a possible medium for the space elevator.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
This news tells us nothing really as it is only theories and speculation, it is impossible to say what is really there when they cant see jack

Edit to add:Heres a thread I posted a few months ago when they claimed that there was collosal structures beyond the visable universe, which is another one of there crazy theories

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 9/24/2008 by altered_states]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   
*cough*plasma cosmology*cough*

Seriously, how many more "dark" things are these clowns going to "discover"? Every time they find something that isn't explained in their model they invent a dark, unobservable something or other and force fit it into their equations. What does it take to get these establishment guys to reexamine some of their basic assumptions?

Countdown to the arrival of Buddhasystem in 3, 2, 1...

[edit on 24-9-2008 by Orwells Ghost]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Orwells Ghost
*cough*plasma cosmology*cough*

Seriously, how many more "dark" things are these clowns going to "discover"? Every time they find something that isn't explained in their model they invent a dark, unobservable something or other and force fit it into their equations. What does it take to get these establishment guys to reexamine some of their basic assumptions?

Countdown to the arrival of Buddhasystem in 3, 2, 1...

[edit on 24-9-2008 by Orwells Ghost]

If it were up to me to assess the terminology of "Why 'Dark' matter", I would have to give the credit to the inability of comparing it to anything else that has been or , even at this day and age, is known for correct assertions of a true viable description.

dark matter
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

noun
Matter that emits little or no detectable radiation of its own, postulated to account for gravitational forces observed on astronomical objects and to be part of the missing mass.

Source:
www.ask.com...

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Allred5923

oh yeah im with you. i mean, i know all us at ATS love theory, and i can see how well plasma cosmology does in negating where the big bang cops out.

we hear so much but know so little.

OK, what about this stuff about 13.7 billion light years out, the 'back ground radiation left over from the big bang'. how do we know there isn't a mechanism nearby that creates this stuff at the "fringe" of our visual capabilities?

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by altered_states

Good, someone with a brain not just b'aa'aa'aaa'aaahing along.

This is another entirely ignorant article. I can't imagine that anyone doing this so called "work" has anything more than a high-school diploma or GED.

The Hubble has already peeked back more than 13.7 billion light years and as far as the constructs of energy and logic are concerned, the universe is undoubtedly eternal.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal

when you look at the distance and small scope of what astronomers 'see' it really is amazing. its like looking at a molecule in a thread of a string in a 1,000 count Egyptian bed sheet and comparing it to all other bed sheets ever made.

there is an exponential amount of variables in nature, and that is usually the cause of a scientific/mathematical models breakdown.

haha, im glad to see some of ATS's best minds come out in this thread. I hate that there is so much political-economic tormoil dominating the site. I will be researching these topics yall have discussed because i know ATS and its 'Info-chain' are one of the last semi-'free expression mediums' left for world wide communications. thank you so far and i look forward to our collective scientific growth from here on out.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by drsmooth23
reply to post by Osama Bin Laden at Area 5

well i just threw a cat up into it, and a taco came out. dont get to excited, it didnt have any cheese on it.

well how can i turn myself into a light being or highly charged nuetron

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Osama Bin Laden at Area 5
well how can i turn myself into a light being or highly charged nuetron

well its different steps to either conclusion.

to become a highly charged nuetron all one has to do is step inside A.L.I.C.E. at the LHC when they fireup+cooldown next spring.

to become a light being; bask in goodness. be nothing put pure selfless thoughts and actions. become the change you wish to see in light and achieve a higher state of being through mediation and study.

or just smoke as much dank as i do.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Look up "M-Theory" aka String Theory on wikipedia.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ionized
It isn't dark matter, it is plasma. Gravity has little to do with it, electromagnetism has a lot to do with it.

I love how these things come as such a surprise to the mainstream, when it is not a surprise at all in plasma cosmology.

Why would you come to this conclusion? If it isn't dark matter but is plasma instead then please explain why it is black. And if that weren't myserious enough, how can you tie in electromagnetism as having alot to do with it when we have absolutely no idea what this stuff is in the first place? If it has mass it has gravity and alot of it. And since electromagnetism is directly linked with gravity (even if we don't know exactly how) then obviously it ties in..

The first problem with this idea though is that there is always this assumption in science that mass must have gravity... And there is also an assumption in science that Dark Matter is the most logical explanation for what we see clumping together groups of galaxies as well as maintaining the overall integrity of individual galaxies like our own.. But we obviously have no idea. To think we have this all figured out doesn't make any sense. An educated guess is still an assumption. We need to understand the universe a little better to better understand how everything fits in the big picture.. We just don't have that big picture part down yet. It's obviously going to take more time and more scientific scrutiny to figure these things out..

-ChriS

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join