It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DHS Developing Minority Report-style Hostility Detector

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   

DHS Developing Minority Report-style Hostility Detector

www.dailytech.com

Security personnel working for the Department of Homeland Security may soon be able to remotely monitor crowds for the behavioral signals of a terrorist, using a computer system that scans their pulses, body language, breathing rates, and facial temperatures.

The program, called “Future Attribute Screening Technology,” or FAST, works as a combination of custom software and crowd-monitoring body sensors, strategically placed at airports, U.S. border crossings, and other public, high-security..
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Sounds like it might protect the innocent at only a small cost to our personal privacy?

The Electronic Privacy Information Center’s John Verdi said FAST is “substantially more invasive than screening in airports,” calling it a “medical exam” that the government has no right to conduct. Critics are concerned that the program could reveal physical conditions like heart murmurs, breathing problems, and high stress levels – a blatant privacy invasion – as well as set off false alarms.

“What determines your heart rate is a whole bunch ofreasons besides hostile intent,” said Michigan State University’s Timothy Levine, an expert on deceptive behavior.

FAST appears to be yet another aspect of the U.S. – as well as the rest of the world’s – governments’ growing fascination with biometric data on citizens: the FBI’s “Next Generation Identification” system, currently still in development, seeks to catalogue almost every major identifying characteristic about the U.S. criminal population, including fingerprints, retinal prints, and tattoo/scar markings

I'm glad I don't have any tatoos, I might be getting a little paranoid about this. And I don't believe for one second that they will throw away their scan results. The US is fixated on saving every scrap of information on its citizens.

www.dailytech.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   

new topics

join