It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time is Money is a Myth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
People act like Time is Money... I say BS
Money is the Root of all Evil. Would you agree?

Regards,

-map

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by mapsurfer_

I respectfully disagree, to an extent. And I think we need to separate the two issues, and deal with them separately:
1 - Time is Money and
2 - Money is the Root of all evil.

We must define "Money". Are we talking Liquid Cash? Are we talking Gold? Coins? Money can be "anything" in this sense, so do you mean Money in the litteral sense of a $5 bill? In this case, I argue that Money can be defined as anything you trade for something else, and not necessarily money in the litteral sense.

Now, the concept of time (I despise time, there is never enough of it). If we look at time, in terms of hours...I would go so far as to incorporate Opportunity Cost into the equation. Now, Opportunity Cost is a term commonly used in Ecomonics, however, it applies to daily life as well. IMO.

Opportunity Cost - 1. The cost of an alternative that must be forgone in order to pursue a certain action. Put another way, the benefits you could have received by taking an alternative action.

www.investopedia.com...

What I take this to mean, is that, Time is whatever you give up for it. It might be money, it might be family, it might be studying, it might be eating. Who knows, it could be anything. But Time - is a trade you make for something else. And every hour of every day - is an opportunity cost specific decision. How do you want to spend your time?

Now, if I look at my schedule today, this is what I intended:

7:00 AM - Wake up
9:15 AM - Class 1
10:15 AM - Class 2
etc...

Instead...
I woke up at 9, and as a result, lost 2.0 hours which incorporated hopes of a Shower, and Reading the Chapter before Class while eating breakfast.
I traded: a Shower, reading a chapter, and eating breakfast - for the extra sleep. Instead I got 15 minutes of rushing, a coffee to go, and a breakfast bar.

So in this sense "Money", or what I bartered for the extra sleep, was the Shower, Studying, and Breakfast.

So I believe - that Time is whatever you trade to spend it.

Money is the Root of all Evil. In this sense also, Money must be defined. Are we talking money - litterally? As in Wealth? Assets?

I despise Money. It makes me crazy. I always seem to have just enough to pay my bills, my tuition, put gas in my car, and feed myself. Sometimes theres extra in there for a Drink or Two, or a night of dancing.

Money, in the literal sense, was brought in to make our lives easier. To make bartering and trading easier. We assigned values to slips of paper and coins, and asisgned values to goods and services and products.

$4 for 12 eggs as opposed to 1L of Milk traded for 12 eggs.

Sometimes I think it would be easier to go back to the old ways of trading, as money, makes people greedy. Money makes people want more of it. And when they want more of it - they'll do whatever it takes to get it. Some peoples extremities in obtaining money, differ.

Some people work for money, hourly. Some people work fo rmoney, on salary. Some people steal money, in essence, getting money for nothing. And on the same token: Some employers pay employees what they determine to be a fair wage, for a set amount of work. And some employers, deliberately pay lower, to save themselves some money. Saving a dollar an hour per employee, adds up after time.

It's when you start thinking that you can have EVERYTHING you want, that the evil comes out to play. When you start taking advantage of a good or service that you offer, in hopes of getting richer.

Evil, is when you have a love for money, that can only be satisfied by obtaining more money. More money than you need, and in essence, making the poor, poorer. Because if you look at it this way - Every Dollar that you have, is a dollar someone else doesn't. And Every Dollar that a poorer person doesn't have, is a dollar they have to work harder to obtain. And when our own citizens can't afford to eat, feed their kids, or send them off to school, or pay their mortgage - that is a sign that Money has become Evil.

In my opinion.

- Carrot

"I want the Earth, plus 5%" Is a pretty good read...

www.relfe.com...

Edit to add: Ignore the bolded sections that someone else had deemed important, and the rest of the crap at the bottom of the page. I am not advocating ANY of that. Just the story itself is a good read.

[edit on 9/24/2008 by CA_Orot]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Sometimes my life gets to the point where I wish I was a fluffy bunny who has to be looked after, instead of me doing it all and running around all the time. I try to hard...:shk:

join