It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain Suspends Campaign To Help With Financial Crisis

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by skyshow

come on skyshow, both have used the same rhetoric. Point blank, they are both members of Congress and took an oath to fulfill their job. If there was an ever a moment this is it. They can still have time to get back to politicing next week. 3-5 days of no McCain or Obama shouldn't make a difference.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by FiatLux

Exactly, it is going to crash no matter what, it needs to. It will be hard, very hard but it needs to happen. We will rise from the ashes like a phoenix and we will overcome it eventually. It might even pull us together as a country and we may learn something to boot. Corporate greed is what killed us.

The hyper inflated real estate market is a sham. It's going to hurt me when real estate prices adjust to what they should be, but I prepared for that. When offered an ARM and being told I could buy a bigger house, i said no way and bought a much smaller house with a traditional loan.

There is no way to recover from this without paying the piper and facing reality unless we convert our entire financial system, which may be whats happening by design behind our backs.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Cowgirlstraitup7

laying out his plan for a fix.

Obama laying out his plan to fix via TV...Excellent. Too bad Pelosi and Reid are laying out their plan in Congress where Obama should be.

Whose the leader now?? Not Obama...the action is in Washington not Florida.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

McCain is the one who called it off. I was that interested in talking to us the people, you might have thought he would have suggested meeting at a TV station in the metro D.C. area...

Give me a break. He cut and ran, and now he's hiding in his office, while Obama goes out and fields questions and talks to the public.

How much more transparent does this have to be?

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
You are so partisan it's not even funny. That's okay, at least Obama is taking questions like a true leader instead of making a political statement and then running for his plane. You just hate that Obama is doing the right thing don't you?

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by anachryon

Given that Mr. McCain was instrumental in setting up this house of cards to fall the way it did, I'm just curious as to what he, as someone we pay to do a job, will contribute to his workplace.

So is that the reason why the top three recipients of Fannie and Freddie contributions happen to be Obama and two other Democrats?

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

It's unanimous...all of congress is against this plan. What difference does it make if they are there or not? Nobody is for this. Moreover, there are tv studios in Washington D.C. and this thing one way or the other could take place but the fact is McCain and Pailin do not want to come forward and have an honest discussion with the American people. That's not leadership. That's called being a coward and a sneak!

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by WhatTheory

Funny, thats not what Paulson and Bernanke said in the hearings yesterday. They essential said, the way things are set up right now are flawed and we need to correct the system. To be more specific, paulson said "I was shocked to find this current situation was not caused by raising rates or lower rates, but a fundamental flaw in the system."

Those were about his words, if I remember correctly.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by skyshow

Skyshow, you are correct sir or maddam. McCain cut and ran and I am laughing so hard and screaming so loud my family went outside.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Everyone that keeps putting the blame for this on Bush really needs to do some homework! the bill that allowed this to happen was signed in 1999....HMMM which president was in office in 1999? yep thats right Bill Clinton and oh yeah he is a democrat!

Do some research on the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act of 1999

No one learned the lesson from the S&L crisis of the 80's and 90's that happened because of yep you guessed it another Democrat Jimmy Carter. And he left it for a Republican to deal with. because he was voted out of office Because of his terrible policies.

Everyone needs to leave their blind political affiliations at the door when they discussing the issue that we are currently facing. your not helping the problem but only making it worse.

Now this is a perfect political move by McCain. Making it look like he cares more about the country than running for president. at the same time showing leadership.

Obama will look bad to different groups no matter what he does. If he continues his campaign then he'll look like he don't really care about the U.S. and only cares about being president.

If he follows McCains lead then he will look like a follower.

All the OBama followers that blindly follow him are mad because McCain bet him in the leadership role in this issue.

P.S. The debate friday was suppose to be about Foreign policy Not the Economy. i have no doubt that there would be some questions added pertaining to the economy given the fact it is in crisis stage right now. But Mcacin would have stood his ground in this debate.

[edit on 9/24/2008 by Mercenary2007]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by skyshow

If Obama is President running for reelection and the US is in a crisis, does he cancel the upcoming debate and return to Washington, or does he go ahead with the debate?

Obama fielding question isn't going to resolve anything. Banging heads against other Congressmen and women might. Fielding questions from both candidates is a waste of time. Full of big lies, half lies, or just rhethoric from their advisers. I wouldn't take what they say to the bank.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Obama laying out his plan to fix via TV...Excellent. Too bad Pelosi and Reid are laying out their plan in Congress where Obama should be.

Whose the leader now?? Not Obama...the action is in Washington not Florida.

Leaders know how to communicate via blackberry, cell phone and teleconferencing. Leaders don't hide in difficult times. As Obama said, a President should be expected to do more than one thing at a time.

This will be the end for McCain.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Watchman

Obama is looking like the leader now, answering the questions that the American public has. Then he can step off his podium and get to work. No cut and run for Obama.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by wutone
So is that the reason why the top three recipients of Fannie and Freddie contributions happen to be Obama and two other Democrats?

You conveniently left out the issue of Rick Davis and his involvement with Freddie. Why is that?

link   
reply to post by jam321

Howabout hiding in your office? Does this help?

Obama called McCain this morning at 8am and suggested that they make a joint statement...McCain calles him back around 2pm and agrees then goes on TV and calls off his campaign...

I know, let's blame it on Clinton!

link   

Ummm...errr...

Source: Freddie Mac paid McCain aide's firm.

By PETE YOST – 13 hours ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — Almost up until the time it was taken over by the government in the nation's financial crisis, one of two housing giants paid $15,000 a month to the lobbying firm of John McCain's campaign manager, a person familiar with the financial arrangement says.

The money from Freddie Mac to the firm of Rick Davis is on top of more than $30,000 a month that went directly to Davis for five years starting in 2000.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Watchman

communicate via blackberry, cell phone and teleconferencing

So I guess what you are saying is that Congress members should just stay at home and do their job via technology. Their job is to be in Washington taking care of the people's problems. Neither candidate has been doing that since they started running for president. On this issue I feel they should be doing their job.

By the way do you know if Obama voted yea for the FISA bill using one of the technology gadget you mentioned?

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

A rep killing a rep..Who could have thought it?

I'd prefer to think of it as an elitist killing an elitest.... I don't do the donkey/elephant thing this year.

But yes, you're right on with your observation. The bill cannot pass as proposed, and that is exactly why they need McCain in person back in DC. He can't debate a bill that isn't introduced yet, and as I understand it, this bailout is still in committee. What he can do is call in some of those favors he is no doubt owed by those in Congress and maybe save the other elitists from their own doings.

I see this maneuvering as a pride of lions, in a time of no food, turning on and eating each other... but the economy is done for either way.

-------------------------
Obama just spoke. He didn't say either way on the campaign suspension issue, but he did say he had made sure to tell Reed and Peloski that he was available whenever needed. He also stated that this is the time when the American people needed to hear from their candidates, and that as President, one would be required to do more than one thing at a time.

If this was a campaign ploy by McCain, I think it's going to backfire. Obama is a good speaker.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Watchman
Ummm...errr...

Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac Invest in Democrats

1. Dodd, Christopher J S D-CT $133,900
2. Kerry, John S D-MA $111,000
3. Obama, Barack S D-IL $105,849

Umm yea

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by skyshow

Now your believing the he said he said game. We really don't know who caled who first without actual proof and personally I don't care who called first and who gets credit. They need to do their job period.

I can tell your an Obama supporter and admire the way your trying to milk this for him. But really, this is about America's future and at this point I don't give a damn who wins. They need to address this issue as well as the side issues that go with it.

My 401k is taking a killing and all of those SOB's are to blame.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join