It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain Suspends Campaign To Help With Financial Crisis

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneckThe job he is paid to do. Argue for and vote to support those criminals who caused this disaster so they can get the money they stole fair and square.

Harry Reed just made a statement that he doesn't want McCain or Obama involved just yet in the negotiations...

TheRedneck

Given that Mr. McCain was instrumental in setting up this house of cards to fall the way it did, I'm just curious as to what he, as someone we pay to do a job, will contribute to his workplace.

I have this reaction to "sudden" news like this, and I think a lot of people do as well. For the first hour I'm all:
and then, after an hour or a day or so, I start to think about different angles of the story. How will X affect Y? How will doing A instead of B pan out in the long run? Why did C happen?
I'm in that discovery stage now, and I'm always curious to hear why others feel the way they do.
I think I understand your position and I appreciate your reply, good Redneck sir. I'll play some Skynard in your honor.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

It isn't just two people. it is two influential people who has all of America listening to them in addition to the media. That is called power. Power that may get things done. Really don't care who gets the credit. This is about America and if can nip this business greed in the butt once and for all. This will probably be the best opportunity to show corporate America that their days of taking advantage of us is over.

The debate is a prehearsed speech anyway. Why else would Obama take 3 days to prepare.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
University of Mississippi also says that they're having the debate. I guess if McCain doesn't show up, he won't look very good.

Public opinion would crucify Barack Obama if he made a to-do over John McCain being in Washington "working" to "solve" this problem rather than being at this debate. You also obviously recognize this or else you wouldn't be trying desperately to convince yourself that this move will do anything but help McCain in the public eye.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
All i can do is laugh about Mccain´s cowardly action here. Suspending a meeting with Obama since he knows he will proberly loose that one big time, instead he redirects attention to the other hand (just like an illusionist do) and say he needs to save the country instead, what a joke this is. He actually means that he needs in DC while he could easily take the debate via live feeds from wherever he is, and if he thinks its unfair he could also ask Obama to do he same. No loss of time to save US economy then.

Best regards.

Loke.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Watchman
I'd like to hear them tell us, IN DEPTH, what they would propose to do moving forward to ensure we don't end up right back here again in the future.

Here's Obama's Plan. I can't help you with McCain's.

Change the debate topic and let's see how they react to this very stressful and critical time in our country.

I think that's a great idea! Make it timely. No one wants to hear about foreign policy right now.

I agree that both McCain and Obama need to be intimately involved in these discussions but today, with the blackberries, video conferencing, etc, there is no reason why they can't do both.

Absolutely!

link   
reply to post by nyk537

I don't think this is going to look good for McCain.

He will either look like he is dramatizing and therefore capitalizing upon the economic crisis, or worse, he will look afraid to debate Obama on Friday.

It's one thing to say 'I'm suspending campaigning and flying back to Washington to get the job done,' but quite another to say speaking to the American people Friday night to tell them how you will lead will interfere with getting that job done. No one will buy that.

I hate to say this, but McCain just threw the election.

Congratulations Obama people.

I hope your guy governs well.

link   
You know the debate is already scheduled for Friday about foreign policy...why not make it about the economy and the two of them can clearly spell out to the American people their plans for fixing it. But McCain would rather cut and run and go hide in his office! Where is the leadership here? He has avoided a real debate 8 ways to Sunday, and now just a few weeks short of the election he does this! As if it's going to be any better next week or the week after???

This is what it's finally come down to here in America. This is not freedom. We have the whold govn't just about in revolt against the Republican leadership...

McCain talks about bringing the two parties together...howabout bringing the people of the two parties together and tell us the American people what he would do. We need to know!!!!!

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

This is about America and if can nip this business greed in the butt once and for all.

I agree about the power issue, but based on everything McCain has said in his suspension speech, I believe he is all for the bailout. Which includes: paying full bonuses to all the CEOs, no oversight of the banking industry or the money used to bail it out, and passing the bill as fast as humanly possible (so no one can read it first?)

Doesn't sound like much of a 'fix' to me... unless the 'fix' is in...

TheRedneck

link   
reply to post by loam

Part of me actually feels that you are right.

I don't know what to think right now.

link   
When is the last time something like this happened in history?

Just curious, because I can't find it at the time being.

Obama has already turned it down. So its going to be interesting to see how things develop. I honestly feel Obama is gonna hurt himself big time on this one.

Obama fans, why do you keep bringing up his poll lead? Its obvious the polls are nothing but a huge pendulum, more now than ever. I don't believe polls have ANYTHING to do with this action, like some are suggesting.

My inkling says americans will be blind and look at this in a negative way. But I still think Obama will get tripped up by whats happening.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
They are trying to push something through congres - same as with the patriot act - whitout anyone having the time to read the fine print and all the new controls the government is gaining with this act.

What would McCain have to reply at the debat, that the financial system he and his party represent has failed and that they will safe some financial institutions but not all and that by the way taxes will increase to reimburse this so the management of the bank takes away a nice salary and the man in the street will end up homeless ....

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

I have suspected this very same thing Redneck. Despite many other Republicans and pretty much all the Dems against it...

That's exactly why we need a debate about the economy. We the people don't know how the candidates stand and how their two ideas differ...we should have been having debates months ago...

If your at a soccer match (ask Palin about this) and one team quits in the middle what happens? What is wrong with these people?

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Our economy is going to tank no matter what they do. If they don`t pass it, it tanks in short order, if they pass it, it just takes it a little longer for it to tank. This bill isn`t going to fix it for good, it`s just a short term fix, to slow the fall. To fix it for good, they are going to have to remove the biggest problem, the Fed. They have run our economy from the first day they were brought into power.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

I don't think it is about the businesses. According to a report on drudge only 4 rep members were for the plan. Others want the interest of the taxpayers to go first. In addition if Reps try to lean it to the business interest they can kiss the Presidency and its Party goodbye.

I really feel we don't know how serious this is. Why would Bush bring this out right now knowing that this could doom any chance of McCain winning?

A rep killing a rep..Who could have thought it?

[edit on 24-9-2008 by jam321]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by AndrewTB
Obama has already turned it down. So its going to be interesting to see how things develop. I honestly feel Obama is gonna hurt himself big time on this one.

Link? Don't have one? Didn't think so. Obama hasn't stated yet if he will or will not suspend his camaign.

link   
WSJ

McCain’s call for both he and Obama to immediately suspend their presidential campaigns and return to Capitol Hill to address the ongoing economic crisis and proposed $700 billion financial sector bailout was dismissed quickly by Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada as a “campaign photo op” for McCain.

“While I appreciate that both candidates have signaled their willingness to help, Congress and the Administration have a process in place to reach a solution to this unprecedented financial crisis,” he said, calling for the debate to occur on schedule.

“I understand that the candidates are putting together a joint statement at Senator Obama’s suggestion. But it would not be helpful at this time to have them come back during these negotiations and risk injecting presidential politics into this process or distract important talks about the future of our nation’s economy.”

Ouch.

link   
I never bought into the idea that the upcoming election would be suspended or that Bush will be taking office for a third term...it all seemed to farfetched, but now I'm not so sure.

There is something going on here that is not good...too much crap happening all at the same time...

WHy would McCain do this suddenly? What does his their debate have to do with economy?

Maybe he doesn't have a solution to the economic crisis we're in and knows he or Obama would not be able to debate this issue... which is clearly unavoidable...

Can't go into this debate and not talk about the HUGE Gorilla in the room..so let's just call the whole thing off

This country is F'd

link   
reply to post by anachryon

Deregulation isn't the issue. Oversight is. When the government rolls out programs to get more minorities into their own houses they advocated that lending institutions help out. These lending institutions did and started all these nifty plans to let almost anybody own a house even if they didn't have the income to sustain those house payments. Now all that has come back to bite them in the butt. Now, would somebody like to tell me that are government wasn't aware that all of lying and bad lending wasn't going on. Deregulation is just a scrapegoat.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

I don't think it is about the businesses. According to a report on drudge only 4 rep members were for the plan.

Exactly! McCain says he needs to be in Washington to bring the two parties together. Hello McCain: the two parties are together!!!!

[edit on 24-9-2008 by skyshow]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
While McCain played politics and said he is suspending his campaign, Obama is on t.v. RIGHT NOW, laying out his plan for a fix. Hmmmm, I'm glad I'm on the Obama band wagon. AND OBAMA IS TAKING QUESTIONS!!!!! Whose the leader here??????

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join