It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain Suspends Campaign To Help With Financial Crisis

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508
Oh Please! You BELIEVE that BS definition of fundamentals?

Look, this current economic problem is NOT due to inflation or high unemployment or any other typical reasons. It's due entirely because of greedy lenders and buyers, period! So, yes, the fundamentals are solid.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by elysiumfire

All that would confirm is that he cares more about winning President than he does the country. Something which I already believe.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I should certainly hope so. He supported the Deregulation that has caused the American Economic Meltdown.

theglobeandmail

If there has been one constant in Mr. McCain's legislative record through decades in the House and Senate, it has been his unequivocal support for deregulation. He championed it during his years as chairman of the Senate commerce committee. He campaigned actively and successfully for the very act that scrapped the regulations whose absence created this cascade of bank and insurance-company failures.

I bet he finds it a pain in the ass to have to stop what he's doing and help "fix" (read: convince the public the bailout is a good thing) this crisis.

link   
reply to post by AndrewTB

Does any one find it interesting that a series of events has started unraveling of late.
Financial meltdown- allows the big corps to by up the micro market, and also when the eye of the storm has cleared it almost seems automatic to start using a common currency to avoid this kind of meltdown again. ( here we come Amero)

Bipolar network coverage- I have never seen an election where each network is picking on both parties equally. It forces voters to think they are receiving bipartisan coverage (genius really) Yet look through their campaign members. The same ten guys always end up in the Whitehouse & this time these men are all over both parties.

Campaign Postponement- I have never given much thought to the theory of the current president using his patriot act to keep himself in power uncontested. Lone and behold,today we have talk of putting off the election until this "CRISIS" is dealt with. We have no gas in the South west. people are going to start rioting. Before you know it. You still have W Bush, and you're under marshal law.

If this is what is really happening, god help us all. i hope I am just paranoid.

However, we all agree something is very wrong here.
PS Did you know the Fed doesn't want Congress to be able to review the $700 Bil. fixer upper. They just want it approved, no questions asked.
My brother Amercians, your reality has changed forever.

link   
McCain suspending his campaign to focus on the economy?

What a joke!

He was one of the driving forces that deregulated mortgage companies and the energy futures in the stock market!

John McCain: The Fundamental Deregulator (VIDEO)

Over the last few days, John McCain has talked a decent game when it comes to enacting new regulations to protect American families from another financial crisis. But as this new video demonstrates, McCain's talk is just hot air -- he's got no record to back it up.

Last March, he famously said that he was "fundamentally a deregulator." In July, he said that his "fundamental difference" with Barack Obama was that Obama favored "more regulation" while he favored less. And earlier this month, McCain's strong support for deregulation was on display in speech after speech at the GOP convention.

Now, John McCain is scrambling to follow Barack Obama's lead as a reform-minded proponent of regulation. But that can't change the fact that when it comes to his record, all the way up until Thursday of last week, John McCain is "The Fundamental Deregulator"

It was DEREGULATING that got us into this mess to begin with!

John McCain: The Fundamental Deregulator

He's already shown he doesn't understand how the economy works and has stated he doesn't understand economics very well, it's not a "strong point" of his!

He's the last person we need to help us out of this!

[edit on 9/24/2008 by Keyhole]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I just heard McCain say he will be "working with the Obama campaign..." ya by not answering his phone calls.?
I take back what I said earlier about agreeing to halt the mudslinging for now. He is so full of it.

-sorry

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by anyone

When you're a Republican running for office, it's playbook to do anything except talk about the issues. Haven't we seen this time ant time again?

This has Carl Rove written all over it!

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I'm torn. My thoughts are:

a - It's a ploy - but...

b - even so, he truly is concerned about it all - and if that's the case...

c - it frightens me. If things are serious enough that McCain really feels that his number one priority must be putting his campaign aside...

d - does this mean that the situation is serious enough to...

e - have a reason to suspend the election?

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by skyshow

True that!!

This is not a oneliner.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Jadette

I doubt that it is serious enough to postpone the elections.

And, I agree that:

1. This is a political chess move
2. A chess move, that if not mirrored by Obama, makes McCain look really good (to a lot of people) and Obama...not so much (to a lot of people)
3. On some level, McCain actually does care (about what, not too sure about)

This is probably one of those political chess moves with a kernel of integrity buried somewhere deep inside the "truth" of it.

[edit on 9/24/2008 by skeptic1]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Here's my question...why can they not move the debate to Washington? Why not work on whatever it is McCain thinks he can work on during the day, then hold the debate after adjournment?

Sure, they may have to cancel some appearances over the next couple days and such, but why the need to "SUSPEND" his entire campaign and postpone the debate?

Can one or both candidates not handle that workload?

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by WhatTheory

It's due entirely because of greedy lenders and buyers, period!

It's due entirely because of greedy lenders and buyers (being able to scam and rip-off whomever they choose because they have free reign over the market with the massive deregulation and minimal oversight that's taken place), period!

(Haven't seen you in a while.....how' it going?)

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
The problem is that two senators can't do ANYTHING on a Friday night at 8 p.m. because neither house is in session so they're not going to be solving any economic turmoil during their scheduled debate. They can talk policy and form plans, but nothing will be enacted...

"America? Can I have a few more days to study?" - McSame

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   

A chess move, that if not mirrored by Obama, makes McCain look really good (to a lot of people) and Obama...not so much (to a lot of people)

[edit on 9/24/2008 by skeptic1]

I think this is a clearly transparent political move. No big surprise there. Here is McCain's problem with this. He is considered weak on economic issues and now he appears to be trying to duck a debate that will undoubtedly be focused on exactly that issue.

Very few people will believe that ANY politician, especially one running for President, would be altruistic. They will look for a political motive...and in this case, they will find it.

The economic crisis is a disaster for McCain because the President who has presided over this mess belongs to his party. Combine that with his weakness on the economy and you can see why he wants to call a time out.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZombieSlayer
It was just confirmed that Obama contacted McCain first this morning. So it looks like McCain is taking credit for Obama's idea.

No. Obama contacted McCain but it was not 'to suspend campaigns'.
MCCains camp confirms that the contact was NOT about suspending.

and for those who starred the zombieslayer post .. you starred an error.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by WhatTheory

Can you explain to me, what is fundamentally sound about the current banking system we have? This has everything to do with many of the economic problems we are facing today, and as we have in the past.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Obama says the debate is on

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Jadette

We saw this same thing at the RNC convention. When the hurricane was headed for shore, Bush and Cheney decided not to go (you can imagine the sigh of relief among the Republicans up there). Their polls are so far in the ditch that nobody wants them around. So they used the convenient excuse to stay away and they weren't missed either.

Now we have another Republican with tanking numbers who is ducking from the camera. His running mate hasn't even held a press conference since her big speech that night, and took a week before she would even talk to the press.

Meanwhile the news stories are full of reports of them trying to shut out the reporters up in Alaska, and close the doors to the public.

Now why is this so?

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
You know...If I gave any weight to the suspension of the 08' elections by Bush, this would be nice ammo.

But, that's just crazy! Right?...Right?!

Be on your toes over the next 2 weeks people.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
Obama says the debate is on

He may be standing there alone.

Gloria Borger, from the McCain camp, confirms that Obama DID NOT OFFER TO SUSPEND when he contacted the McCain camp this morning. (TV news reporting). This was McCain's idea.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join