It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain Suspends Campaign To Help With Financial Crisis

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by d11_m_na_c05
reply to post by tide88

And right after he said that he went and canceled on david letterman . And did a interview with katie currek .
He has been exposed as a bold faced liar!! Why trust him now? BTW i just saw one of his ad's on TV .. Wonder how thats is not part of his campaign ?

Well, let me get this straight. Would you think it would be more important to go to a reliable news source, cbs news and katie, or do a comedy show during this crisis with david letterman. Sorry. but letterman is a joke. And is no where to go during an serious economic crisis. That being said, he shouldnt of told letterman he was getting on a plane immediatley. Although cbs could have contacted him when they heard this and asked him to do a SERIOUS interview. One that will have a bigger audience and one that is a more reputable news outlet. Regardless it really doesnt matter. He is debating tonight. Which I think he should be doing anyway

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Burning Down The House: What Caused Our Economic Crisis?

www.youtube.com...

You hustle, you deal, you steal from us allCome on, come on, lovin’ for the money,
Come on , come on, listen to the money talk
Come on, come on, lovin’ for the money,
Come on , come on, listen to the money talk

[edit on 113030p://bFriday2008 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by SEEWHATUDO

Yes. And now that he has apparently changed his mind and agreed to participate in the debate, what does this latest decision say about his commitment to put the financial crisis first, and his campaign second?

It really does make him and his campaign look as if neither has the gift of foresight. If you're rolling up your sleeves, roll up your sleeves. But don't prance around TV from talk show to talk show and interview to interview. Don't spend time sneaking to fundraising dinners and giving campaign speeches elsewhere. Don't go seeking photo-ops and credit for being a leader. Be a leader and get the damn work done.

Now looking stupid after canceling or seeking to postpone the debates in the first place, McCain resigns himself to the debates... Seriously, I'm beginning to think that McCain's health is failing, and that his faulty decisions are the result of medication. It's just been a disaster for McCain/Palin this week.

[edit on 26-9-2008 by Areal51]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by tide88
reply to post by DocMoreau

Um, that article was before he was even the republic nominee. He is actually doing quite well with the money he had. McCain Finances

Yes, I understand that the article was before he was the Republican Nominee. He would not be the Republican Nominee now if he had not received the loan to his campaign.
One might say that one loan is the only thing that saved his campaign.

Perhaps you do not understand what I was saying in my post, that John McCain is legally forced to take public funding for his campaign, because he used the promise of public funding as collateral on said loan. If McCain had tried to forgo public funding after getting the loan, he would have been committing fraud. The outcry against Obama decision to forgo public funding had more to do with John McCain not legally being able to do the same.

In regard to your premise that the McCain campaign is flush with money now, everything is okay, nothing to see here, I wonder what your criteria is for fine?

In the link you posted I see colorful graphs and inspiring numbers that illustrate trends. I do not see anything to prove to me that the McCain campaign has it all in control. I see a graph that shows that McCain has 36 Million on hand, and has already spent over 200 million to get to where he is now, trailing in the polls (Obama has over 70 Million on hand) The link also makes no mention of the loan that McCain took out, or how it forced his hand in fund raising decisions throught the campaign.

It is a nice reference, but not very strong proof of your thesis.

My gut feeling tells me that the McCain campaign 'suspended' to save money on free media attention. I also have a feeling that while they may have pledges for the campaign funds, but maybe having a liquidity problem. It is not like the McCain campaign has it all in one savings account, FDIC insured up to $100,000.

Wouldn't it be ridiculous irony if the McCain campaign 'suspended' because their campaign funds are under the care of Merril Lynch or Lehman Brothers?

Either way, McCain looks like a doof for this 'suspension'. Not very Presidential. Didn't really contribute. Dissed Letterman and lied to him.... Maybe he should suspend his campaign indefinitely, and let Ron Paul have the nomination.
Now that would be 'Maverick"!

DocMoreau

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
My Local news is reporting McCain will show up at the debate tonight. I have a feeling hes going to tear obama a new one.

In the end, I believe McCain will have attracted a larger viewer base for tonight's debate. I don't believe that was his motive though.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by AndrewTB

My Local news is reporting McCain will show up at the debate tonight. I have a feeling hes going to tear obama a new one.

In the end, I believe McCain will have attracted a larger viewer base for tonight's debate. I don't believe that was his motive though.

Would you say he......I don't know......flip-flopped on not debating??
He is spry for a 70+ year old man, I just don't think the American people are gonna buy in to his obvious attempt at being a......uh, SAVIOR?

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grafilthy

Would you say he......I don't know......flip-flopped on not debating??
He is spry for a 70+ year old man, I just don't think the American people are gonna buy in to his obvious attempt at being a......uh, SAVIOR?

Yes you can say he flip flopped on debating. Thats almost clear cut. The thing is I dont think anyone will care after tonight.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
All the Obama camp has is a bunch of nitpicking nonsense. You can split hairs all you want about what McCain said and did, but at the end of the day you are missing the big picture.

Anyway you slice it, McCain is right to take this big legislative situation very seriously, and take the lead to do the right thing with this very serious financial crisis.

McCain is showing leadership, while Obama is hanging out on the sidelines waiting for orders from his DNC political machine bosses, eager to put the U.S. taxpayer on the hook for the failures of wall street investors. The people who control ivy league Obama are just as elitist as the people who control ivy league GW. Obama looks a heck of a lot more like GW, hiding in the kindergarten class while our nation was unde attack, than McCain who has stepped up to the line of fire and taken action.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Didn't you hear? Before even announcing that he would cancel the suspension of his campaign that was never canceled, and attend the debate in Mississippi, an ad in the Washington Post already has declared McCain the winner of the debate. McCain won without even going, without canceling the suspension of his campaign that had never been canceled. McCain and his campaign have what's better than foresight, they apparently have a time machine -- or at least a crystal ball.

www.washingtonpost.com...

Unbelievable. That's a new one. Propaganda before the fact of any action taken. There you go, in bold letters and color, McCain won the debate. Who woulda thunk it?

AND -- McCain's campaign manager Rick Davis declared in another ad, "McCain won the debate-- hands down." voices.washingtonpost.com...

"The fix is in." After tonight no one will care about McCain flipping and flopping because McCain already won!

Can't wait to actually cast votes. I bet McCain will be declared the winner before the first vote is cast!

[edit on 26-9-2008 by Areal51]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by AndrewTB

Really? Certain? It seems the McCain camp has already declared victory.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Areal51

Gee, where did McCain state that he would cancel his campaign? Somehow suspending ones campaign now means cancelling ones campaign? Of course suspending his campaign must mean that McCain sends all campaign workers home, and cancels all advertisements, even those that are already scheduled to go forward. What nonsense.

Um, the McCain campaign has an ad in the works to announce he won the debate as quickly as possible, that is called planning ahead. Should McCain lose the debate, chances are they won't go ahead with that advertisement, but a different one instead. I gotta wonder who in the Washington post leaked this ad ahead of time. I hope their career is now officially dead.

Doesn't change the fact that McCain is stepping up to the plate and displaying leadership while Obama sits on the sidelines.

Personally, I'm glad this deal has been stopped. More effort does need to be made to protect U.S. taxpayers.

Why are the democrats soo eager to put taxpayers on the hook for the faiures of Wall Street?

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by tide88

So you admit he's a bold faced liar. And your fine with that... Interesting !

Flip flopping is ok for repubs.. Being a Liar is OK for repubs. Fake "suspension" of campaign for media attention is ok for repubs. Disrupting the bailout hearings is ok for repubs..

I dont think the wool is pulled over your eyes any more . You seem to be under a pile of SHEEP!

WAKE UP AMERICAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I think the new repub theme song should be the clasic. "Zeppelin - Dazed and confused"
Really read the lyrics

Been Dazed and Confused for so long it's not true.
Wanted a woman, never bargained for you.
Lots of people talk and few of them know,
soul of a woman was created below.

You hurt and abuse tellin' all of your lies.
Run around sweet baby, Lord how they hypnotize.
Sweet little baby, I don't know where you've been.
Gonna love you baby, here I come again.

Every day I work so hard, bringin' home my hard earned pay
Try to love you baby, but you push me away.
Don't know where you're goin', only know just where you've been,
Sweet little baby, I want you again.

Been dazed and confused for so long, it's not true.
Wanted a woman, never bargained for you.
Take it easy baby, let them say what they will.
Will your tongue wag so much when I send you the (BAILOUT) bill?

I am so amazed at how well this fits the Mccain/Stalin ticket. I gotta get a video made up asap!

[edit on 26-9-2008 by d11_m_na_c05]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
reply to post by Areal51

Gee, where did McCain state that he would cancel his campaign? Somehow suspending ones campaign now means cancelling ones campaign? Of course suspending his campaign must mean that McCain sends all campaign workers home, and cancels all advertisements, even those that are already scheduled to go forward. What nonsense.

We live in a society where people tend to cherry pick their information to both satisfy themselves and put up a argument. It's quite sad, but it is in fact a reality. People will truly believe what they want to believe, even if they know deep down within that they are wrong. A perfect contrast is people that say McCain is another Bush. If he was so much like Bush, than why was he being considered on the democratic ticket as a VP (in 04)?

As for McCain already being declared a winner. Its easy to do now a days. Most media outlets put together "media packets" days ahead of events such as this, as a barebone for an upcoming story (e.g. debates). I'm sure there's one for Obama too, and this isn't some sorta magic ball scenario. Advertising works in a very similar way.

Than again.... common sense already knows how its going to turn out.

I think McCain sorta did damage to himself with this entire suspension deal. Even with it being a genuine move, all it has done is given the DNC some ammunition.

Bill Clinton even came out to say the move on McCains part is genuine. That really says a lot.

[edit on 9/26/2008 by AndrewTB]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

I gotta wonder who in the Washington post leaked this ad ahead of time. I hope their career is now officially dead.

Yes, the entire career of the Washington Post is over. Now the Washington post is hoping to be hired by The National Enquirer. I see the headlines now:

John McCain Appoints BatBoy to Supreme Court!

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1bGee, where did McCain state that he would cancel his campaign?

The point is that he didn't need to cancel. All he had to do was declare himself the winner.

Originally posted by poet1bSomehow suspending ones campaign now means cancelling ones campaign? Of course suspending his campaign must mean that McCain sends all campaign workers home, and cancels all advertisements, even those that are already scheduled to go forward. What nonsense.
Don't you understand? McCain never actually suspended his campaign, he just said that he did as a tactic to make himself appear presidential. There are plenty reports on the Web where Republicans were impressed that McCain presence was a hindrance rather than a benefit, and apparently he was much less a leader.

If photo ops are enough to impress you that McCain is leading rather than just attempting to appear to be leading, that's fine.

Originally posted by poet1bUm, the McCain campaign has an ad in the works to announce he won the debate as quickly as possible, that is called planning ahead. Should McCain lose the debate, chances are they won't go ahead with that advertisement, but a different one instead. I gotta wonder who in the Washington post leaked this ad ahead of time. I hope their career is now officially dead.

Yeah, well, the cat is out of the bag now isn't it?

Again, call it as you see it.

Originally posted by poet1bDoesn't change the fact that McCain is stepping up to the plate and displaying leadership while Obama sits on the sidelines.

McCain, former member of the Keating Five, now has the interests of US citizens at the forefront of his priorities rather than his old crony banking buddies with regards to the latest financial crisis? His judgment is more sound today than it was yesterday? I've not seen evidence or proof yet.

Originally posted by poet1bPersonally, I'm glad this deal has been stopped. More effort does need to be made to protect U.S. taxpayers.

Why are the democrats soo eager to put taxpayers on the hook for the faiures of Wall Street?

A new proposal hasn't appeared publicly since the original Paulson draft appeared last weekend. I'm wondering just what kind of language is getting tossed around, and had hoped to be provided insight from Ron Paul, but he's being tight lipped about the affair as well. Guess we both have to wait it out with the rest of the nation.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
In a nutshell:

McCain: We need to cancel the debate.. our campaigns.. get this thing fixed!

Obama: We won't do any good there. We need to have our debate.

Afterwards from others who attended: Having them there did nothing.

Duh? I didn't think it would matter at all, and it didn't. It was a ploy, that's all, which disgusts me more than anything. At least Obama was up front with this comments to the effect of "there is no sense in going if it doesn't get the job done."

And I highly doubt that McCain will tear a new anything, we'll see tho.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   

And we also live in a society where some choose to keep their blinders on. Sad? Yes. Deserving of pity? Sometimes -- but not in this case.

If he was so much like Bush, than why was he being considered on the democratic ticket as a VP (in 04)?

Can't beat 'em, join 'em?

Bill Clinton has eight years of photo ops with the Bushes. Yeah, it could mean a lot, or it could mean just a couple of has beens hanging out enjoying the final years of their lives. How many people get to be POTUS? Not many. Not surprising that the old geezers like hanging out and reminiscing over a few beers, getting their fame on every time someone snaps a photo.

Anyway, common sense should tell one that another who tell lies for the simplest thing is not likely to tell the truth about matters of greater importance.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Yeah no matter what you say, he is just copping out of the debate. We picked BUSH over this guy in the past, that says it all. Why in the hell would you vote for him now? Its the same guy you laughed at years ago.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by fleabit

If your honest with yourself you would see why Obama felt he didn't need to go back to Washington. The dems have enough votes to pass the plan they want. The problem is that all the reps will vote no and the dems would be left holding the bag by passing a legislation that most Americans say NO. They would take a hit politically, especially Obama. That is the reason they are trying to blame everything on the reps.

Amazing how they are blaming reps but have enough votes to pass what they want.

Who is playing politics now?

On top of that why having they tried to pass other legislation America needs. Because they are trying to help Obama and other dems win in November.

But to be fair I will say this, if the shoes were on the other foot the reps would be doing the same thing.

The only ones who will lose are the taxpayers.

new topics

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24 >>

join