It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain Suspends Campaign To Help With Financial Crisis

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by AndrewTB

Cassandra Complex...

Seriously?? Wow?? Worrying about the common man?? It's B.S. McCain hasn't voted in over 5 months. He sits on NO finance committee's. WHAT is he going to Washington to do? Vote? This bill is ALREADY drafted as of Wednesday evening. His numbers are dropping like a lead balloon and he's trying to yet again shake up the status quo. The bounce from the Palin pick evaporated in less than 2 weeks and now the democratic nominee is polling better than BEFORE the conventions. It also doesn't help that Palin was exposed yet again by Katie Couric of all people. Sure, McCain, go vote, but how does that get in the way of your debate? This campaign is mind-boggling. Even when the republicans don't have the stronger candidate they ALWAYS have the superior campaign organization. ALWAYS. It will be amazing if this unexperienced, african-american can cross 270 electoral.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I have not read every post in this thread, so pardon me if this thought has already been mentioned...

Is it possible that John McCain did not choose to suspend his campaign, but was actually forced? I mean, I had forgotten about the fact that the McCain campaign had to take out loans in order to go on, only reminded by the loans stipulation that he take public funding. I imagine that he has paid the loans back, but if not, would the liquidity of that loan force him to wait until the bailout plan is completed?

From February, in the Washington Post:
With Crucial Loan, McCain Put His Bid Back in the Black

By last November, John McCain's presidential campaign was broke. To survive, he offered his fundraising lists as collateral for a $3 million line of credit from a local bank. But obtaining the loan required an unusual extra step: He had to take out a special life insurance policy in case he did not survive the campaign.

At the time, the 71-year-old senator's effort was more than $500,000 in the red, and the bank's line of credit was a pivotal lifeline that allowed him to make a strong showing in New Hampshire and eventually vault into the front-runner's position.

Maybe some will disagree, but the flip-flop of 'The fundamentals of the economy are strong' to 'suspending the campaign because of the severity of the crisis' does not convey good leadership to me. The polarity of the statements, and the underlying chaos of his campaign in the 10 day timeframe does not bode well for a McCain presidency being fit to lead in my opinion. In fact, it shows the exact opposite. It shows a man who is awkward and uncomfortable with his decision making process. I have major doubts that he is qualified for the job.

I don't know.
I am still surprised that McCain's connections to the S&L crisis and being the only Republican 'member' of the Keating 5 are not getting airplay in the mainstream media.

...and his campaign says that their is media bias against them.... if that is against them, I can't imagine what 'for them' would be like.
DocMoreau

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
As many others have stated, McCain's suspension of his campaign is purely political.

Being on the road or being in D.C. isn't going to make a difference. All he can do is vote on it, and he can do that on the road. A lot of politicians vote from their home offices all the time.

In all reality, it probably would be better for him to stay on the campaign trail, BUT focus, or "show the press" that he's focusing, on the economy, show that he is "taking charge". But running back to D.C. is a political move, just as Bush running to D.C. for Ike and Gustav was political too.

But if he's looking for a way out of the debates, this would be the way to do it.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover
reply to post by tide88

Since huffington post like many others merely post articles and news stories from other sources please tell me how they are so bad?

Their blogs and commentaries are their own opinions and I don't need anyone else to tell me what to think... not Arriana Huffington or mush loosebowels.

[edit on 25-9-2008 by grover]

Again, I am not saying they are bad or good. But you used commentary from one of their own LIBERAL JOURNALISTS. Obviously he is going to say that is why McCain is doing this. It isnt an objective view. You linked to the article. So I am assuming you are using it to back up your views. Right? I can list 100 different reasons than you gave and back it up with conservative journalists. However, that doesnt make it true. And you are right, you don't need to people to tell you what you think. The question is, why not just give your opinion. Why would you use huffingtonpost to back it up. Just because they agree with you ( a liberal journalist ) doesnt mean you are right.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by DocMoreau

Um, that article was before he was even the republic nominee. He is actually doing quite well with the money he had. McCain Finances

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by elderban
As many others have stated, McCain's suspension of his campaign is purely political.

Being on the road or being in D.C. isn't going to make a difference. All he can do is vote on it, and he can do that on the road. A lot of politicians vote from their home offices all the time.

In all reality, it probably would be better for him to stay on the campaign trail, BUT focus, or "show the press" that he's focusing, on the economy, show that he is "taking charge". But running back to D.C. is a political move, just as Bush running to D.C. for Ike and Gustav was political too.

But if he's looking for a way out of the debates, this would be the way to do it.

I just heard an interest take on this whole suspend the debate issue. Not saying this is true or McCain actually has this planned, just thought it was interesting. First off, McCain isnt cancelling the debate, he is postponing it. Now they would have to find another date and venue, one that was probably all ready set up. It take months to prepare for these debates and millions of dollars. What if McCain was purposly postponing so that the VP debate would have to be cancelled in order to reschedule the presidential debate. This would effectivly cancel the Palin/Biden debate. Thought it was an intersting take. I dont think McCain is afraid to debate Obama. I think he is afraid of a Palin/Biden debate however.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
This indicates serious stategy issues within his campaign...plus the stories coming out regarding lobbyists working for Senator McCain that are on bailout companies payroll....His campaign is unraveling.

Presidents must take on issues head on, not duck and hide. And if he is seriously not able to cast a vote ( he has absolutely nothing to do with this legislation other than vote for it) and also debate his opponent, then it will be an interesting adminstration that is only able to handle on item at a time.

it was a bonehead move and terrible advice.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by tide88

Good insight. As well he should be....I think Biden will win that one hands down.
Starred you for saying what I was thinkin'.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by tide88
Not saying this is true or McCain actually has this planned, just thought it was interesting.

McCain actually did propose he and Obama taking the VP debate slot and postponing the VP debate to a later date. Check out this post:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

And Here

The Arizona senator would like the vice presidential debate between Sarah Palin and Joe Biden, which is currently scheduled to take place on Thursday, Oct. 2 in St. Louis, Missouri, to be scheduled for a later unspecified date.

Good call.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Check out Doc Moreau's post and then tell me what you think about who is tied down to whom. Clearly Obama is not the go with the flow type that McCain is.

As for Obama and Paul working together, it would be a good thing. Doesn't mean that they would agree on everything, but out of a successful synthesis of their ideas they could do good work for US citizens. It's good to have checks and balances throughout all aspects of government. The lopsidedness of the financial policy of the past 26 years is what got us into this economic mess in the first place.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by DocMoreau
Is it possible that John McCain did not choose to suspend his campaign, but was actually forced?

Interesting thought. I have wondered why he also suspended his ads. That felt like a strange decision because whether or not his campaign was ongoing, his ads playing wouldn't interfere with "fixing the economy".

Maybe he just can't afford to play his ads. ??

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

That is scary. He might lose my vote if this is the case. I think it is one of two scenario's with Palin.
1. She has no idea what she is talking about and is going to do terrible in interviews and the debate. This is the reason no press is allowed access to her and the reason McCain is trying to cancel HER debate.
2. This is all a cover. That she is actually very well versed on everything, from economics to foreign policy. That the McCain campaign is actually purposely doing this to make it seem like they are afraid of her to be inverviewed or debated. That once they give access to her and she destroys Biden or even holds her own in a debate with him, people will think "wow, I was wrong all along. This woman is really capable. I totally underestimated her."
The second would be a vintage Karl Rove move. And would suprise everyone. I find it hard to beleive they would just pick someone as a gimmick. Eventually she is going to have to talk or debate and if she does badly, McCain loses in a landslide. You would think they would of looked far enough ahead before they picked their VP candidate.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by DocMoreau
Is it possible that John McCain did not choose to suspend his campaign, but was actually forced?

Interesting thought. I have wondered why he also suspended his ads. That felt like a strange decision because whether or not his campaign was ongoing, his ads playing wouldn't interfere with "fixing the economy".

Maybe he just can't afford to play his ads. ??

Don't think this is the case. McCain has plenty of funds. McCain Finances

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Sounds like McCain is giving an ultimatum of sorts... I just heard on MSNBC that if they haven't reached an agreement by the time of the debates he will not debate. What!? That is ridiculous. Obama is still saying can't you do two things at once? It is all very fishy and sounds like more pressure to the law makers. Take your time guys, if McCain wants to make himself look like an a$$ so be it.

MHO

-anyone

link from Washington Times

WASHINGTON (AP) - John McCain's campaign expressed cautious optimism Thursday as congressional Republicans and Democrats agreed in principle on a $700 billion bailout of the financial industry hours before the two presidential candidates were to meet with President Bush on the crisis. Even so, the action didn't appear to be strong enough to convince McCain to attend Friday's scheduled presidential debate. His campaign has said he wouldn't participate unless there was consensus between Congress and the administration, and a spokesman said the afternoon developments had not changed his plans. "There's no deal until there's a deal. We're optimistic but we want to get this thing done," McCain spokesman Brian Rogers said. Obama still wants the face-off to go on, and is slated to travel to the debate site in Mississippi on Friday.

and

Obama argued the debate should proceed because a president needs to be able to handle more than one issue at a time. "Our election is in 40 days. Our economy is in crisis, and our nation is fighting two wars abroad. The American people deserve to hear directly from myself and Sen. McCain about how we intend to lead our country. The times are too serious to put our campaign on hold, or to ignore the full range of issues that the next president will face."

[edit on 25-9-2008 by anyone]

[edit on 25-9-2008 by anyone]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
The Mississippi governor says he is confident that the debate will go on. My Grandfather always told me "if you tell someone you're going to do something, you do it". That's a core value. Where's McCain's values here? If they were to cancel this it would screw the University where it is to be held out of several million dollars, and besides the American people need to see these two debate the issues now more than ever.

McCain cut's and runs. Obama shows to be the more Presidential by taking care of his obligations while tending to the business of talking to the American people.

[edit on 25-9-2008 by skyshow]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiquidMirage
reply to post by Spoodily

Good grief Charlie Brown. Can't you do anything right?

That’s a nice article with no source cited. Failure to cite sources is not the mark of an intelligent educated person. It is, however, the mark of a political ideologue.

I too can post an anonymous article from the web that argues my point of view but that doesn't make it true. What makes my argument true is that it is based on facts instead of ignorant ideology!

McCain didn't steal any idea from Nobama Bin Biden. Nobama Bin Biden has never had an original idea.

It was on Yahoo's front page. You might have seen where it came from had you read it.

news.yahoo.com...

The quote was taken from the same article I linked on the top of page 17. I used the article's headline for the link. Please do go back and verify this.

[edit on 9/25/2008 by Spoodily]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
How is an idiot like McAnus who admittedly has no knowledge of finance going to help solve the faux economic crisis?

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
What the _ _ _ _?! This is really strange and very suspicious.

And when it comes time for the big bipartisan meeting that will be happening at the White House less than an hour after this post goes up, McCain will be accompanied not by one of his Senate staffers but by Douglas Holtz-Eakin, his campaign's top economic policy advisor. That's especially interesting because Barack Obama is bringing his legislative assistant. In fact, ABC News' Jake Tapper reports, Obama was told not to bring a campaign aide. An Obama spokesman confirmed that report to Salon.
McCain bringing campaign advisor to White House meeting

Why did Bush instruct Obama not to bring any campaign staffers to the meeting, and yet McCain is bringing his "top economic policy advisor"?

In my earlier post I said that it would end up a match between two Republicans against one Democrat. Seems I was right. Bush has already loaded the deck, and the meeting is taking place right now as of 4 minutes ago.

I do not have a good feeling about this.

[edit on 25-9-2008 by Areal51]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Unless something is going to change, we will still be voting for a new president in November. No matter what state the economy is in.

And with all this rigmarole about Palin in the news now (alleged affairs, daughter's premarital sex and pregnancy, being about as qualified to be vice president as a McDonald's manager), and with McCain being found to be living the elitist lifestyle while accusing others of it, isn't this a convenient time for him to suspend his campaign so we can all get distracted by some other shiny object and hopefully forget the unpleasantries of the past month or so?

What a great American hero, obviously thinking only of the American people. Obviously.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Let's see.... the United States is having an economic crisis... action is needed immediately. Why shouldn't BOTH potential candidates be in on the proceedings with ramifications that directly affect the country they would inherit in January????? The debate topic is on Foreign Policy. Foreign Policy.... how important is that if we end up with a country that can't take care of itself?

They should BOTH be in Washington. Period.

In all honestly, I really do not like either Obama or McCain. I like Ron Paul, but we have to be realistic, he's not even officially running and basically has a snowball's chance in hell of getting elected (not even that).

McCain afraid to debate Obama on foreign policy???? Are you kidding me??? Please.

I'll give it to Obama, he can deliver a scripted speech from a teleprompter like a madman. He's young and somewhat personable. McCain has been in political machine forever and has more experience. I am 95% sure he would tear up Obama in a debate on foreign policy. Yet, he looks like he could die any second. The more and more McCain commercials I see, I say to myself, "he looks really bad (healthwise)."

I am a diehard American, but the future looks bleak.

It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here!

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join