It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain Suspends Campaign To Help With Financial Crisis

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
They both need to be back in Washington doing what their getting paid to do. With the state this countries in, this should be top priority for them both. I think we all can live without the mud slinging, slamming and flip flops for a few days, there`s still plenty of time for that.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic1
Not to derail here, but would it be just as "political" if it was Obama doing it?

No. Because Obama's not failing in the polls. If he was, then I'd say yes.

Don't really want to take this off topic.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Wow the pieces are falling together.
Scary times my friends

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
No good can come of this. Suspending campaigns...

Then comes the suspension of a few other things...

I highly doubt McCain is going to be locked away with congress fighting the good fight, because as we all know, he has connections... they all do. It's like a big crime syndicate playing two different sides... and if he didn't see this coming from a mile away, he must be deaf and blind and mentally handicapped...and if so, how is he even allowed to run for president?

It's just lies. I got this sick feeling in my gut when I watched the announcement.

He may have tried his hardest to put on a soft yet concerned face, but to me that doesn't equate with honesty. Almost all politicians flip flop whenever it is convenient for their image or for the agenda as a whole. Even with Ron Paul, suddenly when being interviewed by major media during his election campaign, he decided to call 9/11 conspiracy theories "ridiculous"... when just a few short months before, he was on the Alex Jones show talking seriously about that very subject.

Do not trust politicians. Paid liars is all they are. If they truly stood for what's best for the people, they would not have a job.

It's amazing how cozy Washington DC is with each other behind the scenes.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
McCain knows that he's going to be eviscerated over the economy and wants out so he can't be called on it. He wants more time to prepare. His excuse is he wants to go to Washington to 'deal with the economy'. What is it he's going to do? His being in Washington is going to make some difference in the situation? I call shenanigans.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I think it is about as brilliant of a move as when he picked Palin as his running mate ..
Picking her sent the woman voters and the conservatives ....McCains way ..
And now postponing the debates to take care of official business at hand is another really smart move to sway the elections his way ..

He will come out of this smelling like a rose .

Whoever is running things for him ..is as smart as heck ..and is a master manipulator .

Sorry but I TRUST NO POLITICIAN ..every move they make and everything they say is pure bunk and has alterior motives ...and I dont buy the WE LOVE YOU ...WE CARE ABOUT YOUR MONEY we CARE ABOUT YOU the average Joes out there ..so we are gonna postpone our plans for the Presidential elections just to show you how much we care for you ........>....its a bunch of crap ....

This is really making me feel ill ..just knowing how some people really believe this bunch of bs ......................

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
This is a brilliant move on McCain's part.
If Obama goes back to Washington too, he is a "follower", not a leader.
If Obama stays on the campaign trail, he could be seen as not caring as much for the country as for becoming president.
And the debate that will be postponed is the foreign policy debate which is McCain's strongpoint - thus further making McCain appear to sacrifice for the country.

Brilliant strategy... absolutely brilliant.

link   
reply to post by FiatLux

Star for you. You are right. Can't help but scream conspiracy though... it's all way too coincidental.

link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
Funny, just last Monday he claimed "The fundamentals of the economy are sound" Now, the situation is so severe that he is temporarily suspending his campaign to deal with it.

IMO - this is a Rovian stunt, just like picking Palin. Funny how he pulled both rabbits out of the hat when his polls started dropping like a rock.

Give me a break!

McCain explained what he meant by the fundamentals and he is correct. The fundamentals are solid. This current problem is due to greed, people being able to buy a house with no income verification and homeowners buying a house they knew damn well they could not afford.

Anyway, good for McCain. This is exactly the sort of leadership during hard times that America needs. I'm sure if Obama would have made this statement, most would be saying how bold and courageous a praising his leadership skills. Yet when McCain takes the lead, somehow it's 'political'.

Somehow, I have a feeling that the Obama campaign will try and take credit for McCain's idea.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I am watching this on CNN right now. I think 'unexpected' is an overstatement.

Of course, I am cynical about anything a DC politician says. So I figure one or more of the following possibilities are occurring:

• McCain is looking to appear 'presidential' by showing actions to the people that make him look more concerned with the country's finances rather than the election.

• McCain has found out that this financial fiasco plan (which could easily force the American people to pay huge sums to criminals because their criminal activities backfire) could harm him personally if it doesn't pass. That would indicate that he has some financial stake in the bailout proposal being pushed by the present administration.

• McCain is a puppet of the PTB like Bush, and since their plan to strip the final shreds of profit from the US economy is meeting resistance, his vote and voice are needed to back them up.

Before anyone jumps, no, I do not trust McCain, and I also do not trust Obama. Right now I am about as neutral on the Presidential Election as I can get. I simply don't trust politicians.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
McCain is like the fed, he is just delaying he fall of his political collapse.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by WhatTheory

Somehow, I have a feeling that the Obama campaign will try and take credit for McCain's idea.

It was just confirmed that Obama contacted McCain first this morning. So it looks like McCain is taking credit for Obama's idea.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ZombieSlayer

No, Obama contacted him about making a joint statement about supporting a package to fix the economy:

The Obama campaign said Obama had called McCain around 8:30 a.m. Wednesday to propose that they issue a joint statement in support of a package to help fix the economy as soon as possible.

Source

I don't think Obama was thinking of suspending his campaign at that time....he might be now, but I doubt he was then.

[edit on 9/24/2008 by skeptic1]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Oh Please! You BELIEVE that BS definition of fundamentals? Can you find me ONE credible economist that refers to the 'workforce' of this country as 'the fundamentals'. It's a stinking pile of crap. He was echoing exactly what GWB had been saying and got caught with his shorts down. He was trying to squirm out of a clear screw-up by playing semantics. What a crock. I'm appalled you actually bought that tripe.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Actually taking into consideration that the mess with the economy has been happening under a fellow Republican president, McCain have to play his cards very carefully.

See he doesn't want to be look at as another Republican that will perpetuate Bush fiasco as a president.

And taking into consideration the conspiracy here, maybe McCain knows that perhaps Bush will stay in power due to "the financial crisis" and See no reason why to do any more campaign.

But I will stay with the first rather than the later in my opinion.

If McCain realy cares about the people he will never agree with the bill the way paulso, benanke and bush want it.

[edit on 24-9-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZombieSlayer

It was just confirmed that Obama contacted McCain first this morning. So it looks like McCain is taking credit for Obama's idea.

No, Obama wanted to issue a joint statement. McCain being the real leader took innitiative and action instead. Now Obama looks like the substitute teacher standing in the hall not knowing what to do next.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
We are all entitled to our opinions (until the government decides otherwise).

Frankly, the political angle is THE ONLY angle this is about.

McCain and Obama couldn't solve this crisis if they had years to do it. (In fact, they did). They were all alerted to it, multiple times over the years, neither one made a single move to avert this scenario nor did they bother to address it during their campaigns until there was no other alternative.

If they vote, it must be in agreement or their political game will be lost. Neither can afford to be 'in the wrong' and they will make much noise and pomp over the bi-partisan call to 'work together'.

They cannot solve this problem, neither can their parties. The political parties surrendered all control to the Fed in 1913. The FED is the only corporation that can take an action to stop this madness, and they wont. They want this madness to continue. Their objective is painfully simple, consolidate wealth and power. They placed Goldman Sachs' Paulson in the treasury to ensure compliance.

The majority representatives have gone along with their game all along, or faced public ridicule and marginalization as a consequence. Those who yielded to the Banks are the one's who are allowed to 'run' for president in the first place.

I am surprised that intelligent people such as yourselves STILL think some politician rock star is going to 'solve' this problem! They both suck. Sorry, it's true.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I really don't trust either candidate at this point but they are Senators first and need to do their job. If it gets suspended then fine. But it should only be for a week and then back on the campaign & debates they both go. I heard someone say today that if the government would suspend the corporate taxes and some other tax of corporations for two years then the 700 billion bailout money would not be needed. I think anything is better than a bailout myself. Our economy works because of us " the people " breaking their backs day in and out. The government already screwed it up and need to stay out of it.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Hi There,

So, let me understand this correctly. The trailing candidate for the US presidency is asking to postpone a debate with his leading opponent so that he can help out with the country's dire financial situation...I have that right do I not?

Question: what can he actually do, and in what way will postponing his campaign for election to the presidency aid the country's finances? Has he got $700 billion in his back sack? I'm sorry, but I consider this to be a real cynical howler to derail the presidential campaign, by muddying the people's 'informed' choice through obscurantic tactics. This bugger is actually being contemptous towards the people's election, and therefore towards the people. How many times have you seen this kind of contempt before?

I hope Obama sees this for what it is, and attacks it for what it is, for by doing so he will show the people that his campaign to bring about 'real' change is not for bargaining. The people want change, they deserve it, and thus the campaign for both candidates should stay on track...Obama should show he is not for turning or delay.

Man! They have got a nerve.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

And taking into consideration the conspiracy here, maybe McCain knows that perhaps Bush will stay in power due to "the financial crisis" and See no reason why to do any more campaign.

OK, I left a possibility out of my post above. Thanks Marg!

• McCain has been informed that the election will be canceled anyway, so he's decided to stick the remainder of his campaign money in his pocket rather than spend it on a campaign for an office that will not be available.

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join