It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

50 calibre BMG sniping - Video

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I was looking through their options and they do have a Titanium Carbon Nitride (TCN) option. Looks weird though I never seen one like that before.

Its a $500 option added to the price of the gun. So brand new it would cost you $1,749.00

www.magnumresearch.com...

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 04:40 PM
link   
from depleted uranium thread:

depleted unranium used to be available for the home (ammo) reloader. Silluette shooters used to prefer it.

i haven't seen it available for quite some time but have not really looked for it either. it was just too expensive for my tastes.

it makes one great armour peircing round if put into a large rifle- say 308 or 50 cal. though i actually prefer 30 cal tungston sabots in 50 cal. running of 6000fps, because it can be picked up at any welding store, weighs tons less and not too difficult to form/reload.

. . . . . . . and if you want to talk hazardous material once turned into dust tungston is going to be high up the list!!!! (which it does after hitting a hard object). for that mater any inhaled particulate is going to be VERY bad for you- city dewellers lungs are remarkably more blackened than the average rural area dwellers- it takes over ten years for the lungs to clear themselves out. any large quantities of DUST is going to greatly decrease your life expectancy whle raising your chances for lung dease- any war zone is bound to be dusty- best wear a dust mask if you go.

these are similar to the new remington made anti tank rounds and believe it or not the sabot holders can be bought on ebay occasionally!

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Actualy folks the ATF rules declair that any thing over .50 Ca is condidered a distructive device and requires all kinds of wierd paperwork to own. For Some reason Black Powder Dosent Count. I know this because a Buddy of mine was cleaning out is Grand Dads attic and found two weapons the likes of withch he had never seen. he brought them to show me because he knew I knew guns . nOne was a 9 MM Broomstick Mauser with a FULL AUTO position on the safety. The other was Either a French or Brit made BOLT action clip fed 56 Ca. Rifle it turns out that during the first and second World Wars they made a bunch of large bore high Velocity Anti Tank rifles so that infantry squads would have something to shoot back at tanks It wasnt a very popular idea because the things weigh a ton and with just iron sights you had to be pretty close to be able to hit a vital spot on a panzer or a tiger tank. Not my idea of a good time . The Marine Corps Special forces types(I cnn't for the life ove me remember what they were called) put them to good use in WWII with a Telescopic site. any way he had to get a special licence to be able to leagly keep them (Which he did) even if they were "Antique's" and war trophys. as far as I know he still has them. I did help him find some brass for the long gun and dies so he could "roll his own' and keep them as shooters.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Old Squid;

got a source for dies/press/headspace gauge(s) for a 50 cal BMG? My hornady single stage press just cant handle the BMG round and it is terribly expensive to shoot.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 07:03 PM
link   
lol that thing sure does kick...

I've heard stories of these things making TANKS explode...crazy stuff...

-wD

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 04:15 AM
link   
yup those remington made rounds were designed specifically to penetrate the armour of a tank and cause a disabling explosion in the tanks magizine.

the rounds are basically a 30 cal tungsten sabot in a jacket to fit the 50 cal BMG shell.

i would not ever consider shooting the sniper rifle with out having at a minimum on it a bipod with spade feet- it STILL recoils enough to dig little trenches and the concusion makes the ground look like a wave rolling away from the barrel of the gun.

the tungsten round can go clean through the engine compartment of a car, including the block of the engine- and out the other side of the car from over a mile away. pretty darn impressive.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by StarChild
Suprisingly, these weapons are not that expensive. I personally know of a place in Virginia Beach where you can buy one of these for $2500. Bullets are $8 apeice.

At this same location, you can purchase AK's, UZI's, AR's, M-14s, M-16's, MP5's, Long Range Precision Shooting Rifles, Pistols, and pretty much any other weapon out there on the market. And this is a legitimate business this guy runs; you can buy all of these weapons legally.

So as far as "why are these weapons in civilian hands"?

Read the Constitution, buddy. Last time I checked, the right to bear arms meant, the right to bear arms. I don't recall it saying anything about how powerful your gun is.

Furthermore, it is my belief that this freedom is slowly but surely slipping away from us. It is my intention to stockpile as many weapons as possible, while I still can, so that if some # does go down, I'll be ready. You guys can call me crazy, or whatever. But if you do, don't come knocking on my door asking for ammunition when you need it.

By the way, I highly recommend everyone else do the same. Weapons, food, medical supplies, survival equipment, basically anything that may be useful, stockpile it. Because that is why they are trying to ban weapons. To make the population defenseless against an attack.

I will not be. I will be ready...

Mr. M

I agree get what ever you can weapon and food number one priority
and hell anything else. Im holing my self up in france lot of cheap guns out there. Might fortify the cellar couple of mounted heavy mg's

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 02:08 PM
link   
If you can afford them ..buy them..there is no such limit on the public. I know people who have fully automatic machine guns and also cannons..you can have them too. I personally have no use for such a rifle as it is prohibitive in the economic arena for me to feed such. I feel no such need to strut for other people.
I do however recognize the practicality of this weapon in a military enviornment and obviously it meets a requirement.
The anti gun, anti second amendment crowd is just looking for another niche to enter the arena and limit the pubic and thereby build on their program till the country is like Austraulia, England, and other nations.
As stated in another post..all it would take is the next liberal administration in office. Orangetom

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   
The cant get rid of the second amendment as it would take the congress and the states to change the constitution, its the second amendment for a reason.. But they can make it harder for us to own guns.

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Thought I'd bump this up again, since there has been a fair bit of chatter in here about heavy caliber rifles. Here once again in the 1st post is a link to a USMC sniper demonstrating the power of a .50 aliber sniper rifle against various targets using .50 API ammunition. The results are quite impressive.

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by mad scientist
Now you tell me. Isn't it an act of lunacy to put military weapons such as these into the hands of joe public. What the hell does a sporting shooter need armour piercing high explosive incindienary rounds for ?!

Aha, so the real reason for your post finally becomes evident.

In answer to your question, perhaps you can list the murders and criminal activities that have involved the use of a .50BMG rifle, and/or the use of an APHEI round by a civilian acting with criminal intent.

Let me save you the trouble, in some 20 years of these guns and rounds being available to the public, it's zero.

I hear peanuts have killed thousands though, perhaps you should look into that.

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Winchester Ranger T
Aha, so the real reason for your post finally becomes evident.

In answer to your question, perhaps you can list the murders and criminal activities that have involved the use of a .50BMG rifle, and/or the use of an APHEI round by a civilian acting with criminal intent.

Let me save you the trouble, in some 20 years of these guns and rounds being available to the public, it's zero.
/quote]

Hey I used those lines to get a debat going, it wasn't easy getting responses. Mostly I wanted people to see the power of these rifles. That was all, do I yjink common criminals will use this rifle...NO, but... it has the power to easily pierce presedential lmo's at over a mile - that makes tehm ver y dangerous - watch the vid in the first post before you comment anyway.

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I own military caliber rifles and pistols. .45 ACP Colt governments, 1903 Springfields, M1 Garands as well as the olde Carbines. All of these are military calibers. I also have rifles and a pistol in .223 or also known as 5.56mm by the military designation. Who says you cannot own military calibers.

The very Common 30.06 Springfield caliber..so prevalent in stores today was originally a military caliber which the sporting rifle companys quickly realized had hunting potential especially with the new smokless powers replacing so many black powder calibers in those days.

I have Armour Piercing and tracer ammunition for my 30.06 as well as the 5.56mm calibers. I have little reason to shoot it..but possess it. Perfectly within the law.

I think that many of you do not realize that alot of popular calibers of ammunition and also rifles ..began as military adaptations.

I have no use for a .50 BMG rifle..of any type..simply because the only way to be any kind of effecient with them is to reload. .50BMG means about three rounds to a pound of gunpowder...not exactly my definition of effeciency. More like really dumb. But if that is how you want to shoot your moneys down range....so be it. You just wont find me there next to you. Reloading means a special press..special primers , dies, bullets,powder ..and obtaining enough empty cases. Not intrested here.
I see these rifles in some of the gun stores and want to laugh at the dummy ..dumb enough to buy one. The .50 caliber...handguns..too...you know the revolvers..the S&W 500s...makes me want to laugh when I see them in the stores.

The only thing I own in .50 caliber is a black powder rifle and pistol...they are economical to shoot.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I own a .30-06 and at 300 yards it cut a coyote pretty much in half. top of the spine straight down. I dont understand why you would need anything more than .308. The .50 bmg is supposed to be anti-vehicle able to pierce an engine block of an approaching vehicle, and of course the anti-personell application. splat

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 06:33 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join