It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do Indians avoid dogs/cats?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
We live in an area where there is a large Indian population. I mean no disrespect whatsoever, but I am extremely curious...

We have a medium sized dog - around 70 pounds or so. She's the gentlest dog you could imagine. When we walk her around the neighborhood, any Indian people we come close to invariably go WAY out of the way to stay clear of us. I've seen Indian children freeze in their tracks and cry at the sight of her from across a parking lot.

Our neighbors are Indian and they are VERY nice people. They have a little boy that's around the same age as ours so they play well together. We had them over to visit, and even though they know our dog, we offered to put her in the bedroom and close the door. Then they realized we had cats as well and asked if we could lock them up too.

Are they not accustomed to domesticated animals? Is it possibly a cultural/religious belief that prevents them from touching animals or being near them at all? I almost get the impression that they are taught to fear or avoid them.

I would love to hear some takes on this!

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I know it is not "Indian" culture. When I lived in Turkey the national people had a fear of dogs. I remember it was something to do with if they were bit by a dog their soul would be stuck in some kind of hell.

Might be something along those lines.

No disrespect of course..
What kind of Indian are we talking?
Native American or Hindu Indian.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 05:16 AM
link   
The only thing I could find indirectly was this:

Muslims break taboo to allow guide dog into mosque

The article states that in Islam the dog is taboo to own since it's considered unclean. Perhaps the people you encountered are Muslim. (They may be Pakistani instead of Indian, although there are many Indian Muslims too.)

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
yup yup

That was it.. the dogs were considered unclean.

Not a one line post.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
It's not that unusual for kids to get scared of strange dogs. My little sister used to be scared of old people walking by, LOL.

[edit on 25-9-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
we have a bangladeshi guy at work who's a muslim.

he's come back to my place a few times for a chat after work and i have 2 large dogs - a black lab, and a shepherd.

he is petrified of both of them but not because his religion, but because nobody keeps dogs as a pet over there.

its a simple fear of the unknown, so i had my biggest dog (chocobo, the shepherd) sit next to him but face away, and got mohammed (mo' as i call him) to pat my choco's back.

he thinks my dogs are very smart, and very cool.. but its just a simple fear due to not being brough up around them as a kid.

much like you might fear drowning in the sea, or getting lost in the woods f you have never been to them places.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Hi, I am an Indian, the reason why we do not raise dogs and cats are because, though we raise it at home, there are many stray dogs on the road and they sometimes injure the dogs and it is wounded and here hospitals for animals are literally absent, and so many are relatively clueless how to take care of the animal if something wrong happens.

And secondly, the same stray dogs during the night, will just howl for nothing all night long and fight with other stray dogs, and the dog at home will also join in the shouting and howling and it causes disturbances to the residents, and then though many dogs are gentle, most of the dogs are rude, based on my experience of being chased by stray dogs for nothing at ten in the night while returning from computer classes is also one of the reasons why I didnt raise a dog.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Hi. The big secret, according to my ex-dad (I only have like-5); a historian and teacher/preacher of Indian religions, cultures, and politics it is because people fear that the enemy can occupy them. (the animals); Along with being filthy-low on a culturally instilled heirarcy of life forms. (the dog).

Yes, I have seen groves of people move out of the way-with hateful and questioning glances-over a dog we were walking. It is why I asked then.
Maybe I asked an uncle and confirmed with my ex-dad. Maybe I asked my ex-dad and confirmed with my uncle. Anyways this has always been my understanding from sources I trust know the avoided truth on the topic.

Because they feel that through magicks and occultism-that the enemy can spie on them via their pets.

It sounds strange, but, that is as I have it. And, that is what I am going with. And because Indians are BIG on cleanliness-actual cleanliness. They do have a mind for what unseen filths they come into contact with. The dog, free to roam, is a scavenger of the carcasses of ANYTHING. They are common, whereas for instance a tiger or hyena(or whatever; meateater) -also a scavenger is not. So whatever diseases roaming in the death of the ditches, or in the feces pools, or back alleys. It is like us with rats.

I wouldn't say all Indian's. I am speaking as to muslim indians. There is no fault in a belief system.

[edit on 29-11-2008 by HugmyRek]

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
"Asians don't hate dogs"-times online

Animals are actually revered by Hindus and Sikhs.

And Indians don't, persay, avoid dogs and cats. At least not stateside. Of all the indians who diasporaed in the 70/80s to North America due to upheavals in India, I only saw the ones wearing orange have a violent disgusted wary reaction when in distance of a dog. I was taken to pakistan (I think it was), maybe Iran (not forewarned of the destination), on one particular occassion where there was a dog about, and the reactions were the same. So, I drew the conclusion that this is a muslim practice/superstition, based on observations of all the above.

You might be observing muslim indians from the north partition area, which have formed your observational opinion, because we got ALOT of them moved here all at once, some decades back.

Upheaval In India 70/80s

History of the Republic of India

[edit on 2-12-2008 by HugmyRek]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Funny i came across this!....... today my indian neighbour invited me into his home to see his two new puppies!.... he then procceded to show me a phot of his dearly departed dog of 14 years, it was very sweet, the house was packed with adults, children and these two puppies!.... he then tried to coax me with half a glass of neat vodka!... it was all rather sweet!

top topics

join