It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is Kosher?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Can anyone please tell me why Jewish people do not speak the word of God?
I am afraid I am not understanding why this might be. Can anyone please explain it?

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Kosher... it's a racket, IMO, I started a thread several years back that goes into more detail...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I am not sure what "not use word of God" means. But as for "kosher" definition - it is closely translated as "fit for use". There are laws that make certain food - kosher (meaning it is eatible for religious Jew) or taref (not usable, though direct translation is different).
For example, only meat of non-carnivorous beasts is allowed, if they chew their grass in certain manner (like cow) and have a certain design of hoove.
This is what Torah says, now naturally during the ages certain new rabbinical laws also were added, somewhat different in different groups.
Judaism laws and food:
religion.atspace.com...

Also word "kosher" can be used to describe other things - not nessesary food - religious Jew can use : like kosher internet , kosher cellular phones and other things. I do not know if ATS is kosher.

Hope it helps, if not - maybe i did not understand you correctly.
Edit:
Oh, maybe you mean why name of God (YHWH) is not spoken? Then i heard two versions (there might be more) - one is it is sign of respect. Other that it basically "turns on" - allegorically - aspect of God that is responsible for judgement (or something similar, do not remember) and it is better not to use it for common people. This is naturally more mystical approach.

[edit on 24-9-2008 by ZeroKnowledge]
edit: missed a word.

[edit on 24-9-2008 by ZeroKnowledge]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
My best friend is Jewish and types God as G-d.

I thought this was like someone typing "xtian" at first, but she said that she typed it that way to reflect the way that the Hebrew language does not have vowels.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
I do not know if ATS is kosher.

It can't possibly be! I post here, and my favorite food is ham and cheese sandwich, and also shrimp. So the whole board is defiled. Sorry.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I think you are asking why the Jews don't speak the name of God.... The exact reason is not always explained, but.....

In Judaism, the name of God is more than a distinguishing title. It represents the Jewish conception of the divine nature, and of the relation of God to the Jewish people. To show the sacredness of the names of God, and as a means of showing respect and reverence for them, the scribes of sacred texts took pause before copying them, and used terms of reverence so as to keep the true name of God concealed. The various names of God in Judaism represent God as he is known, as well as the divine aspects which are attributed to him.

The numerous names of God have been a source of debate amongst biblical scholars. Some have advanced the variety as proof that the Torah has many authors (see documentary hypothesis), while others declare that the different aspects of God have different names, depending on the role God is playing, the context in which God is referred to, and the specific aspects which are emphasized (see Negative theology in Jewish thought). This is akin to how a person may be called by: his first name, 'Dad', 'Captain', 'Honey', 'Sir', etc. depending on the role being played, and who is talking.

YVH

The most important and most often written name of God in Judaism is the Tetragrammaton, the four-letter name of God. "Tetragrammaton" derives from the Greek prefix tetra- ("four") and gramma ("letter", "grapheme"). The Tetragrammaton appears 6828 times (see 'Counts' in the Yahweh article) in the Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia edition of the Hebrew Masoretic text. This name is first mentioned in the book of Genesis (2.4) and in English language bibles is traditionally translated as "The LORD".

Tetragrammaton

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

If it is ham with cheese - it is ok. Especially if shrimps are involved. 2035th illuminaty convention on taking over the world specifically allowed it (reference - Tractate "How to rule the world in modern conditions and keep kashrut" , book 56, section 12, paragraph 21z )
But how can one ensure that nobody consumes just ham while denying ignorance? Oy vey...

new topics

top topics

join