It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brainwave Entertainment: Bad Side-Effects

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Greetings all,

I need help!

A few months ago I listened to a "brainwave entertainment" audio file from the Monroe Institute. After listening to the audio file for a few minutes I became extremely uncomfortable. It felt like my head was vibrating and a strong feeling of anxiety came over me.

I shut off the audio file and splashed cold water on my face, but I still felt awful. For three weeks after that I felt like I was suffering from a concussion, each week the symptoms would lessen.

My symptoms included:

mild detachment from reality
sensitivity to light
sensitivity to loud noise
mild fear
mild anxiety
confusion
short-term memory problems
difficulty sleeping
vivid dreams
difficulty being social

It is now three months later and I only have: sensitivity to light, mild sensitivity to sound, and a slight feeling of detachment from reality.
(These symptoms become worse when drinking alcohol or when tired).

My question is: Has anyone else heard of these awful side-effects? And is there anything I can do to return back to normal?

Thank you.

- Blue Seven

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by blueblue7777

it done that to me at first and every now and then but if you just "release" and surrender it will be ok.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I would stay away from these things. How would you know what you are doing to yourself. Never download stuff from the net to do this stuff.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Yes, I now see that using this type of product can be harmful. I know that many people on ATS have used this type of audio, so I hope someone can help.

Again, I have been getting better over time but I'd really like to know what happened and how I can fully return to normal. I also, want other people to know that using this up of thing can be risky.

To add more information: the audio CD/file I listened to was Indigo For Quantum Focus . Thanks.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by blueblue7777
My symptoms included:

mild detachment from reality
sensitivity to light
sensitivity to loud noise
mild fear
mild anxiety
confusion
short-term memory problems
difficulty sleeping
vivid dreams
difficulty being social

It is now three months later and I only have: sensitivity to light, mild sensitivity to sound, and a slight feeling of detachment from reality.
(These symptoms become worse when drinking alcohol or when tired).

My question is: Has anyone else heard of these awful side-effects? And is there anything I can do to return back to normal?

I have heard of people who disliked the feelings that these things created. I wish I could offer more help. I wish you well.

- Boat

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   
hmm, I have a few of those symptoms on a normal basis, and have never heard these brainwave things you speak of. Maybe I should try them for a cure? No. It would probably just backfire and I'd go crazy, but some more information would be awesome.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Thanks for the input. I'm sure that some other ATS members must have heard of these types of symptoms (ATS members tend to know about off-beat topics).

Again, has anyone heard of these awful side-effects from using "brainwave entertainment". Or, does anyone have general information on returning to normal after a shift in consciousness?

Thanks very much.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I haven't really had any problems using brainwave entrainment, but then again I haven't used those from the monroe institute. Mostly bwgen, xtrememind audio's, mindtek eternity, the zapper etc..

In fact, last night I used the zapper and it was great. I went deep into alpha with it. I'm thinking on purchasing the one the brings you into theta.

Theta-Level Mind Converter

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
If you do not practice meditation, start now. Standard meditation will more naturally ease your brain in and out of the same wave states that binaural beats produce and the transition will be a lot easier. The first time using binaural beats can be very dramatic, and for the unprepared I'm sure disturbing. So, meditation is my top piece of advice. More than likely what you experienced was an overstimulation of your pineal gland. With a name like "Indigo", I would suspect this was aimed directly at the pineal. This is the reason why you should open your chakras from base to crown, in that order, and learn to close them.

That being said, I can tell you from that I've experienced some of the same symptoms you describe, but they have lessened over time and I believe it is really a matter of your brain adjusting to what is a new state of existence. There is also some evidence to suggest that certain frequencies and certain people don't mix well. For example, I get headaches in the 7hz binaural frequency range after long periods of time, more than say 5 minutes. I've also read of 7hz binaural frequency causing anxiety and depression in some. But this may all relate to how experienced the user is. To that end, I also suspect certain frequency combinations can cause unpleasant side-effects. So, my second piece of advice is do not buy products like this from any company who does not disclose what frequencies they use. In the case of the Monroe Institute, they have been doing it for a long, long time, so I doubt there is anything detrimental about their products. But, they should be willing to reveal the frequencies they use and you should contact them about any issues you experience using their products.

Chances are, you haven't done any permanent damage, but if you're still concerned, see a doctor and have an EEG done.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Traveler In The Dark,

Thank you so much for replying to my post. Few people know anything about this topic, and if they do, they tend to have no idea that ill side-effects are possible.

My symptoms have lessened over time (it's now been about 4 months) and I hope to recover. When this first happened I was almost like a zombie, totally unable to enjoy any activity. I'm still bothered by lights and I am sometimes confused a little too easliy. One thing I realized is that I am also not sleeping very well.

What kind of meditation do you recomend I try? Also, is there a way to heal the pineal gland? Or, do you feel that prolonged meditation would help heal me?

I hope I am not on some kind of freaky 'new plane of existance', I'd rather be on the normal safe one.

Any additional information you could provide would be a life-saver for me. Thanks again.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
This is very unusual as most of these including the Monroe ones tend to not create the Alpha, Beta Theta experiences immediately but to gently take you there.

As you say you used it for only 5 mins its a bit weird.

There is a possibility of some Neuropathological issue that this has highlighted such as Encepholytis.

GO TO THE DOCTOR.

Your symptoms are indicative of many many other things, that this may have just triggered of the experience of the symptoms.

I can not say again strongly enough if you are still having this after 4 months

GO TO THE DOCTOR

Don't go and say "I used this tape" etc tell him your symptoms first and at the end mention it started when you used this audio for only five minutes.

Many of these audios especially the Kelly Howell early ones have been clinically tested so are safe.

And used with recovering Alcoholics and ex Junkies with massive chemical and structural changes from the norm in their Nueropathy anyhow.

From years of being totally out of it, dehydrated and the other chemical and brain structural changes and effects.

They have in especially the case of long term alcoholics never experienced much above Delta or Beta, certainly never been to Alpha when inebriated, so they have not had these experiences and they are going through Physical & Chemical withdrawal, and new modes of experience in their consciousness, usually with Depression too.

GO TO YOUR DOCTOR.

Also if you did download the audio from the internet it may be damaged or have subliminal commands esp if from P2P etc, so please do as I say like tomorrow and again focus on the Symptoms not this audio.

Let him/her check you out my friend, ASAP, not like the emergency room, but you need some tests to get an all clear, when you read this book an appointment with him before going to another web page or surfing...

Listen to the experts not us on ATS ok?

I am not rambling and did Nursing many years ago in a related Neuro field, please go, but don't panic, unless you don't go because in a year or two it could be much much worse my friend.

Please do and let us know you are ok, and have the answer soon.

Looking forward to you telling us what he said.

Elf.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I couldn't agree with the above more.

After this amount of time I suspected that if there were any response at all that you would say that things were fine. As I said at the end of my first post, if you're still concerned, you should see a doctor. Perhaps you should take that advice first.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Elf & Traveler,

Thanks to both of you for your advice.

I did indeed to go the doctor (in August) and he felt that a tape could not have caused me any harm. I did force the issue with him and he gave me an EKG (which turned out to be normal). Then in September I asked him to send me to a Neurologist, and he did.

The Neurologist said that my reflexes were fine and that he did not see anything wrong with me. But he did say that he doubted that a tape could have hurt me. He also said, "there is much about the mind that we do not understand, so if you are feeling better each week, I would try to forget about it".

So, maybe I should ask for an EEG or MRI? It's true that I've been feeling better but I still am not 100%. I have heard people say on other sites that they were affected by this type of tape for a few months.

Thanks again.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by blueblue7777

I'm glad to hear that there appears to be nothing wrong with you physically, but don't let that stop you if you feel the need to pursue another opinion. Outside that, meditation is an option but please understand that it shouldn't be viewed as any kind of replacement for proper medical care. And I can't make any guarantee that it will help you feel better. I'm basing this on personal experience, but we are all different. How you proceed is up to you so take care.

What sort of meditation to try is a personal choice as to what's comfortable. Research the chakras and go from there. I wouldn't recommend long periods since being comfortable is the goal. You can start simply by playing some relaxing music, sitting crossed legged on the floor, hands resting on your knees and focus on your breathing. Your stomach extends with each inhale and retracts with each exhale. After a few minutes you should feel calm and relaxed. Given time and practice, your energy can be more balanced.

Now a note about different states of existence. Binaural beats and meditation serve to influence the brain to operate within a specific state, nothing unnatural. The main states are Beta (wide awake), Alpha (awake and relaxed), Theta (light sleep, dreaming) and Delta (deep. dreamless sleep) each corresponding to frequencies of waves. Binaurals use specific frequencies to "line up" brain waves to the desired state, meditation does the same but more slowly and more along a natural curve. Your brain exists in all these states at all times, but with prevalence depending on your state of awareness. The deeper the state goes, the more subconscious. If certain states are more active at the wrong time it can produce sleep disturbances, paranoia, depression, hallucinations and so on. This is where meditation may help in aligning your brainwaves to a more natural state.

But, again, go slow and be cautious. Focus on feeling balanced and comfortable. If you find yourself feeling worse, see a doctor and please insist on further testing. And don't be ashamed to seek psychiatric care if you feel depressed or anxious. This would be entirely opposite the intended effect of any meditation.

As for the pineal, I seriously doubt there's any damage done. Think of it this way, it's called the third eye and it's been blind most of your life. The binaural beats likely threw up the shades and sent it into a state of shock because it does react to certain frequencies of sound with greater or lesser intensity depending on age and its general state. This is not something you generally need to fear from standard meditation as it is hard to force the mind in this way. Start from the bottom up, focusing on your base/root chakra first to help attain a sense of balance and even things out.

Hopefully you feel better soon.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Blue Blue 7777

I am glad as is well with you.

I was a tad concerned as sometimes these things can be symptoms for some quite serious ailments.

As you have done this already, maybe just maybe this event triggered of a feeling of a repressed memory that is causing yourself stress, or maybe you did have "unknown" or mischievous lol subliminals on there.

A very very good Hypnotherapist may be an answer, though only use one who is "clinically" certified and make sure of this accreditation first.

Any patterning produced during the experience may then be released, or they may be able to help you remember and anchor more positive or desirable new states of being, or bring back to the fore your previous ones.

Doubt if it will be cheap though , but well worth it.

Good Luck and I am glad all is well Physically.

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Traveler,

I agree, I think that the Binaurals that I heard pushed me onto frequencies that casued me discomfort. I think that slowly, as time passes, I am returning to my normal frequncy.

The odd thing about the lights bothering me, was that the lights did not hurt my eyes, I just noticed them more, which was very strange and uncomfortable. They just seemed much brighter than normal.

But that problem, along with my anti-social feelings (and sleeping trouble), are becoming less and less.

If a person's brainwave frequency was disrupted and changed, would they be likely to slowly return to normal, after time? If so, this seems to be what has happened to me.

(Again, maybe an EEG would show an odd frequency)

I assume I'm very sensitive to this type of thing, as I have very good hearing and I am feel connections to people and places extremely quickly.

Anyway, thank you again for your advice.

Elf,

I was thinking about a hypnotherapist, because it did feel like this audio may have just changed the way I experince the world, or made my mind feel that way. I'm going to give it until December 1st, and then I'll see if I am 100%.

I also, should note that a have mild ADD, which may have made things worse.

So, thanks very much for your advice.

- Blue

PS: It's always good to be careful when dealing with the mind.

[edit on 11-11-2008 by blueblue7777]

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by blueblue7777
If a person's brainwave frequency was disrupted and changed, would they be likely to slowly return to normal, after time? If so, this seems to be what has happened to me.

(Again, maybe an EEG would show an odd frequency)

That would depend on the cause, but generally speaking, yes they will return to a normal state over time, how much time depending on circumstances. Truth is, your brainwaves change all the time depending on what you're doing. In your case, you say you are slowly feeling better, so it would seem that things are returning to normal. You seem to be very aware, so I trust you'll follow your instincts if you feel the need to pursue further testing or therapy.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Hi - I am not a user of this site. I found it whilst googling binaural brainwave entrainment side effects. I was using some apparently really good mp3s for alpha, theta and delta. I loved the theta as i'm a writer for a living and found it relaxing/creativity stimulating.
But I finally - just the other day - thought that some weird symptoms i have been experiencing could be linked to the brainwave entrainment. Once i twigged, i stopped!
I have the sensitivity to light, hallucinatory nightmares (like seeing giant spiders), mini seizures like jerking and twitching as i drop off to sleep, my jaw clenching so that i wake up biting my tongue, headaches & a weird electric buzzing sensation in my head as i drop off to sleep.
I only JUST figured out that they're all neurological symptoms that are linked to what i have been doing for (I think) nearly two years! Sooo am seeing a doctor next week but have been using homeopathy which is already helping & hoping that the symptoms will gradually ebb away as I stop doing the thing. I just thought they were really fab, new age, cool sort of thing to do. I think there ought to be stronger health warnings attached to them. I am a really healthy, fit, 'normal' woman & I never usually have anything wrong with me apart from the occasional hangover or pmt.
Good luck to us getting over it!!!!

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Update: So, I'm feeling pretty much 100% back to normal.

The only time I feel the side-effects are when I become very tired or when I drink alcohol.

I am going to go to the doctor again, just to make sure that everything is fine. But again I'm wondering if anyone else has heard of this type of situation. Or, maybe someone might know if this is another issue altogether.

I must admit that lights sometimes still bother me, but it may be that I'm paranoid in regards to lights now.

ATS please share your ideas. Thanks.

- Blue

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
www.geocities.com...

The above website talks a lot about your problem. Hope it helps...

- Boat

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join