It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calorie-free Natural Sweetener Moves One Step Closer To Use In U. S.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Calorie-free Natural Sweetener Moves One Step Closer To Use In U. S.

www.sciencedaily.com

Researchers in Georgia are reporting an advance toward the possible use of a new natural non-caloric sweetener in soft drinks and other food products in the United States. Stevia, which is 300 times more potent than sugar but calorie-free, is already used in some countries as a food and beverage additive to help fight obesity and diabetes.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Stevia is really cool, its easy to grow and it really is incredibly sweet. I am not sure the 300 times sweeter than sugar is accurate but that is moot. It has been available as a white powder in natural food stores and co-ops for years.

I grow my own then dry it. It is a native of south America and needs hot summers.

www.sciencedaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

You can already buy this at major grocery chains (at least in Tennessee, I assume it is available nationwide).

It's pretty darn sweet...it only takes a little bit in your coffee, compared to sugar, but the taste is not quite the same to me. It does taste better to me than any of the artificial sweeteners, though.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
What intrests me is the affects compared to traditional sugar.

No Calories. Ok, thats a good thing, maybe.

How does it affect your teeth ?
Do I still get a 'kick' drinking coke ?

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I've read medical reports that verify its at least 300-600 times sweeter than sugar, by mass.

I think the anecdote which stood out from the report was that it only took a spoon dipped in the powder (ie none scooped out, just the dust clinging onto the spoon) to sweeten tea.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I prefer sugar, it is natural. And has been used for hundreds of years.

"The same label also carries government-required warning: "Not recommended for pregnant women, children or those who have low blood pressure."

All products containing Stevia must display the same information. "

Sugar does not have this.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benarius
What intrests me is the affects compared to traditional sugar.

No Calories. Ok, thats a good thing, maybe.

How does it affect your teeth ?
Do I still get a 'kick' drinking coke ?

Stevia is OK (1000 percent better than sugar) but it does have a unique taste, to me, in larger doses. It is also a pain when cooking as there is no bulk to it (it is not a one-to-one sugar replacement).

I much prefer Xylitol. No after taste, It has 1/2 the calories of sugar, is a one-to-one replacement for sugar, has a very low Glycemic Index, and has anti-bacterial properties that can help with gum disease (which is why it is used in most "sugar-free" gums).

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by monkeybus
I prefer sugar, it is natural. And has been used for hundreds of years.

"The same label also carries government-required warning: "Not recommended for pregnant women, children or those who have low blood pressure."

All products containing Stevia must display the same information. "

Sugar does not have this.

Stevia has been used for thousands of years by South American civilizations, and is totally natural.

The only problem is the slight aniseed aftertaste in large doses. And yes, its a mild abortifacient so pregnant women cant use it.

Who has low blood pressure in today's society though?! Hardly a concern IMO...

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 05:19 AM
link   
I've wanted to try this since a friend, who had just returned from Japan, told me about it in the early 1990s.

One of the reasons the EU have banned it is because, apparently, it's meant to create male fertility problems. Although the fact it's popular in China and Japan as well as many other countries makes this seem a little unlikely to me.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 06:04 AM
link   
sorry for the one liner , but it doesn't say whether or not it will still have the aspartme found in sweeteners.
I hope for all our sakes that it doesn't , but I bet they find a way to put it in to keep us all brain fried

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Source

Coca-Cola and Pepsi are planning to introduce new drinks made with rebiana, an extract of stevia leaves that is 200 times sweeter than sugar. But according to a new 26-page report by toxicologists at the University of California, Los Angeles, several, though not all, laboratory tests show that the sweetener causes mutations and DNA damage, which raises the prospect that it causes cancer.

From what I've read, stevia is perfectly safe in small quantities. The concern is that we (U.S.) are used to consuming much more sweetness than the Japanese who have used stevia for years or the South American cultures who have used it for centuries.

I hope we don't let the FDA and the food industry do what we usually do: persuade us to expect something for nothing.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by DataWraith
sorry for the one liner , but it doesn't say whether or not it will still have the aspartme found in sweeteners.
I hope for all our sakes that it doesn't , but I bet they find a way to put it in to keep us all brain fried

I'm not sure why you'd think that they'd put Aspartame in Stevia. Other than to fulfil the needs of a conspiracy, what would be the point? You could ask why aren't 'they' putting aspartame in sugar!

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I started using Stevia a few months ago, I was diagnosed with pre-hypertension and I did some research on it and read some medical papers on how pure Kakao (cocoa) lowers blood pressure as much as hypertension drugs so I gave it a try. Kakao lowered my blood pressure by 7 points and since I drank it daily I looked into an alternative sweetener and found out about Stevia.

After using it for a week my pressure dropped further 4 points which brought me down to normal range
I guess thats why a warning for people with low blood pressure but it also has a very interesting effect on me. I also suffer from occasional bouts of heart palpitations and after using Stevia they completely went away.

I ran out once and had to wait for a shipment to come in the mail which took 2 weeks and my palpitations came back and subsides once I started using it again so it would mean that it also has beneficial heart regulatory properties. If anyone wants to give it a try I also found it at my local GNC store.

Also I remember reading that Stevia was going to be used as a sweetener by soft drink companies but there was a "secret" lawsuit to prevent it which succeeded, and many speculate that it was initiated by the people that shove high fructose corn syrup down our throats.

[edit on 25-9-2008 by Lecter]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lecter
Also I remember reading that Stevia was going to be used as a sweetener by soft drink companies but there was a "secret" lawsuit to prevent it which succeeded, and many speculate that it was initiated by the people that shove high fructose corn syrup down our throats.

I recommend you check out the link I posted above, which I think addresses the concerns that people have about using stevia in soft drinks.

We are used to so much sweetness in our soft drinks, and we consume so many of them, that we end up consuming much more sweetener than is recommended.

It also concerns me that it's an abortifacient and decreases male fertility -- I wonder if products would have to have a label that specifies that they use it. Otherwise, I'm afraid a lot of women wouldn't know to avoid it

Using a little stevia to sweeten a cup of cocoa sounds perfect, or for tea or coffee. But when we expect to replace the eight tablespoonsful of sugar in a 12-ounce can of soda, that's a lot of sweetener.

As far as the palpitations go, I'm curious about it. When you ran out of stevia, what were you using as a sweetener? Sugar could cause the palpitations, and I'm not sure about artificial sweeteners like aspartame or sucralose, but it wouldn't surprise me.

But great news about your bp going down so fast!

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by DataWraith

Aspertene is an artifical sweetener... stevia doesn't need it. The only draw back I have found with it is in baking breads or brewing beer it is no substitute for sugar since it has no calories there is nothing for the yeast to live on.

A blend of fresh stevia leaves and lemon balm leaves is one of my favorite teas... hot or iced.

[edit on 25-9-2008 by grover]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

I have low blood pressure

top topics

join