It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Symbolism of the Flag

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Biscuit

Not so much looking for the meaning of the US flag so much as the symbology associated with international flags flown throughout history. Someone said the color yellow being reminiscent of the "Sun".. but I would just point to the Japanese flag "rising sun" is depicted with red, not yellow. When people thing of "yellow", they attribute that as being a coward. The stars and bars of course is a symbol of the 13 colonies (bars) and the 50 states (stars) of which are part of our heritage.

I am not a political person but I found this pic sort of interesting:

I recently saw a similar pic of Obama postage stamp which was yellow/gold.
Barf.... They should stick to the traditional red, white and blue colors for obvious reasons.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Well first off, realize that in lithography, changing colors like that is a cheap and an effective way to get variation... note the strong area contours, they give away the printing technique on anything 11x17 and above.

Second, why am I reminded of posters of Mao? No slight on Obama intended, here.

Edit and add: I think the one on the right looks best. Better tonal coherence.

[edit on 9-10-2008 by Ian McLean]

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by mapsurfer_
reply to post by Biscuit

Not so much looking for the meaning of the US flag so much as the symbology associated with international flags flown throughout history. Someone said the color yellow being reminiscent of the "Sun".. but I would just point to the Japanese flag "rising sun" is depicted with red, not yellow. When people thing of "yellow", they attribute that as being a coward. The stars and bars of course is a symbol of the 13 colonies (bars) and the 50 states (stars) of which are part of our heritage.

I am not a political person but I found this pic sort of interesting:

REMOVED IMAGE TO SAVE BANDWITH: Fox.

I recently saw a similar pic of Obama postage stamp which was yellow/gold.
Barf.... They should stick to the traditional red, white and blue colors for obvious reasons.

Where was it said that yellow was reminiscent of the sun?

(Quote: Heike)

"According to Ancient and Heraldic traditions much symbolism is associated with colors. The colors on the Spanish flag represent the following:
* Yellow - a symbol of generosity
* Red - hardiness, bravery, strength & valour"

Maybe I missed something, but anyhow, instead of posting one partial point of view with no direction...would it be possible just too get too the point?

Cheers, Fox.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by letthereaderunderstand
reply to post by mapsurfer_

Good Post Mapsurfer. I've often wondered about the flags and what they truly represent. In these below, I just saw all the same colors. I know colonies can take on aspects of the host nation. I am interested to hear your theories...Peace

Not to mention the flags of Serbia, Russia and France aswell.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by fox_3000au

Fox... I'm not sure I really have a point here other than a general observation of flags and their significance. I am not racial, political or anything like that. I was really just trying to identify this flag that Jesus Christ is holding in Page 1
of this thread. BTW, Very interesting flag you have for an avatar icon.
Australian?

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by mapsurfer_
reply to post by Biscuit

One of the serious problems you're facing is the fact that there is no universal system of symbolism when it comes to colours. If you're trying to look for some underlying code that runs throughout flags, you just won't find it. There are 'localised' systems where colours have specific meanings, such as heraldry or the Nazi identification codes for prisoners, but beyond that, I really doubt there's any innate underlying meaning.

For example, you claim yellow is associated with being a coward, and yet white feathers are also attributed to cowardice due to the refusal to engage in war. Elsewhere in the thread there's talk about the meaning of yellow stars, and yet, for many, the first order significance of a yellow star is the persecution of the Jews. Yellow itself can represent many different things, for example it can mean several things in a Buddhist context.

Black on gay pride 'rainbow' flag represents those who died through HIV-related illnesses, whereas a completely black flag might represent anarchy or activism and the opposite of the surrender associated with the white flag, for example.

Some of the flags you've highlighted in your posts, can have completely different meanings. What appears to be the Cross of St George, the English flag, may also be 'Victor' in the Maritime International code, which ironically actually means "Assistance required". Similarly, the saltire Cross of St. Andrew used to represent Scotland is 'Mike' meaning the vessel isn't making any headway and has stopped.

I'm really not sure exactly what you're looking for, but I've a feeling you won't find it.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Merriman Weir stated some very astute comments.

To further the comments, one has to look at the history of why flags and banners were made. In military campaigns and battles, seeing these flags or banners were often the only communication available to the soldier on the field.

The Flag would indicate the nationality or group's identity and banners for specific units. In large hand to hand battles, a soldier could quickly see if he was being flanked or locate support in the heat of battle. You could also establish mounted cavalry identification as friend or foe whilst it raced towards you.

Color schemes were established that provided vivid colors and strong geometric patterns for quick identification. In olden days, the choice of colors weren't that many as they were made from natural dyes. This is why you see many white backgrounds with red or blue stripes in geometric patterns. Newer flags had different colored backgrounds with white or black stripes. More modern flags had symbols placed on them.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by hinky
Merriman Weir stated some very astute comments.

To further the comments, one has to look at the history of why flags and banners were made. In military campaigns and battles, seeing these flags or banners were often the only communication available to the soldier on the field.

The Flag would indicate the nationality or group's identity and banners for specific units. In large hand to hand battles, a soldier could quickly see if he was being flanked or locate support in the heat of battle. You could also establish mounted cavalry identification as friend or foe whilst it raced towards you.

Color schemes were established that provided vivid colors and strong geometric patterns for quick identification. In olden days, the choice of colors weren't that many as they were made from natural dyes. This is why you see many white backgrounds with red or blue stripes in geometric patterns. Newer flags had different colored backgrounds with white or black stripes. More modern flags had symbols placed on them.

Thanks!

To add to your own post, and place the battleground context in a modern setting, football/soccer teams do the same with team colours. It's just to differentiate from the other team and any association regarding the colours comes afterwards. For instance, both Manchester United and Liverpool's traditional colours are red, but only United has the association of 'red devils'. If this was universally understood in football, then surely both teams would have a similar 'devils' theme?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join