It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drowing victims inexplicably saved and other cases of divine intervention

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Since making the post mentioning my experience, I've been reacquainted with the memory. I'd like to share the whole story as I recall it.

Imaging me as a Boy Scout is hard for me these days, but I was, and swimming a mile for my merit badge. Truthfully, it took a lot of self-conviction even to get in as I'm phobic of deep, dark water, though I was a decent enough swimmer. It was approaching the last quarter of the last lap that my body simply gave out. I was close to the dock, but not close enough to reach it. The lifeguard stood above me and asked repeatedly if I needed help, to which I couldn't respond by virtue of the fact that I was drowning. I could not find the strength to swim closer. I was literally going down for the third, and last time when something pushed me upwards and I flew out of the water. I remember noting that my hands didn't touch the dock and wondering how that was possible. I landed on my hands and knees, cursing the lifeguard who was stunned and stammering, his pole still held out towards the water.

It's interesting that I've told the story many times since, but never really remembering how I managed to be saved. I seem to have blocked it from that time until now. But even for someone like myself, prone as I seem to strange experiences, being tossed from a lake by invisible hands is a bit unbelievable.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Sorry to be a downer but this thread is quite interesting to me, as here in Australia there is currently a coronial Inquiry into the drowning of a little girl.

There were 15 teachers, four lifeguards and four teachers aides on duty at the pool when Armani drowned around noon that day, the inquest heard.

Source
There are many interesting elements to this sad incident.
Besides all the teachers and Pool staff there were 205 students.
None saw the little girl dissappear under the water, and she was only noticed at the bottom when it was too late.
I remember as a kid that whenever i was at the pool, everyone wanted to touch the bottom of the pool, or see who could hold their breath the longest, or play games involving retrieving items from the bottom. This leads me to ask how 205 kids playing saw no girl, at the bottom, drowning.
The inquiry is still going and this is obviously a very sad drowning and quite different to the OP's experiences, but I hope you can see why I might think it holds some relevance to the thread.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by TravelerintheDark

At the conclusion of your scout-medal account, you say your experience sounds, even to you, 'unbelievable'. Yet it happened to you and you remember it all these years later .. and have recounted it all through those years, simply because, according to our reality, it defies explanation.

I'm confident many of those who read your account will remember experiences of their own which they've also put in the 'unbelievable' box through lack of what is termed 'rational explanation'.

A lot of us as children were advised that we must have 'forgotten' some vital element of our experience, the suggestion being that there was a rational explanation, which we'd failed, in all the commotion, to include. Has that happened to you ?

And because we were children confronted with adults' certainty, we often accepted this and blamed ourselves for failing to tell or remember the 'real' circumstances surrounding our experience.

Some of us were not wholly convinced by adults' insistence that our version was incorrect. And as adults, we continue to seek validation and confirmation of our 'inexplicable' experiences via others experiences in fora such as ATS.

Internet is a blessing in more ways than one. Some of us are old enough to remember a world prior to internet. Back then, the only way someone could hope to validate their more puzzling experiences was through books, basically.

It makes you feel sorry for people of past generations, doesn't it .. because even a hundred years or so ago, those who'd had an 'unbelievable' experience (and dared speak of it) were considered 'odd', 'eccentric' or even as outright liars. And a few hundred years earlier, people were being accused of witchcraft, when their only crime was to have an experience which these days would pass for normal on ATS.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dock6
A lot of us as children were advised that we must have 'forgotten' some vital element of our experience, the suggestion being that there was a rational explanation, which we'd failed, in all the commotion, to include. Has that happened to you ?

Indeed. At least once where I became convinced myself that an experience I had must have been a dream because that's what I was told it must have been. As I implied in my previous post, I've been a magnet for out-of-the-ordinary experiences and I think it great if relaying my experience helps others in recalling theirs.

[edit on 24-9-2008 by TravelerintheDark]

[edit on 24-9-2008 by TravelerintheDark]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by TravelerintheDark

Hope you'll accept this as encouragement to recount more, not less, of your experiences : )

I know what you mean about being a 'magnet'. And understand the reluctance to recount experiences simply because there have been so many of them. But the fact there have been so many is just part and parcel of many of us. In my own case (and I'm sure this is true of most 'magnets' ) the vast majority of the experiences have been spontaneous, not deliberately sought. Some people win the Lottery three times. Others are struck repeatedly by lightning or their houses are robbed repeatedly whilst those around are not. It's just the way it is.

For years, I used to pore through books, searching for something that might confirm, if only partially, an experience I'd had. We need confirmation that we're not alone and that others have had similar experiences to us. Once we have that confirmation we're quite often able to proceed through life, no longer troubled by anxiety that we 'did something' to cause the experience. In extreme cases, we need confirmation from others as proof that we did have that experience and didn't 'imagine' or 'invent' it (which is often the 'explanation' offered by parents and friends).

We're not alone. When we're young, we fear we might be. But as the years pass, we hear a little here, more there, and reach the conclusion that basically everyone has had at least one 'inexplicable' experience. When we learn this, we can be more at ease within ourselves, reassured that we're not 'weird' or 'crazy' -- we're normal, just as the experiences themselves are. People are having these experiences now, just as they have since time began. It's part of the human experience.

The way I see it, recounting experiences here in ATS (and elsewhere) is a service .. just as those whose accounts in the past provided confirmation of our own experiences were doing us a service. For example, I can't tell you how relieved and interested I was when I first read a post by someone who said the ghost they'd witnessed had no visible legs below knee level. I'd seen three of what I strongly suspected to be ghosts, over a period of approx. 30 years. And in each instance, the ghosts' legs weren't visible below the knees approx. Yet nowhere in any book I'd read, was this point raised. So had I imagined it or what ? And if so, why had I done so ?

Then, my own experience was confirmed via others. It was a huge relief. Finally, I'd come across others who'd noticed the same thing about the ghost/s they'd seen. It meant I was 'normal' and meant my experiences belonged in the 'normal' range. Meant I didn't have to doubt myself any longer or wonder why only I had noticed the 'no lower legs' phenomenon.

It's the same all the way through. And why many visit fora such as ATS. Many are searching for confirmation/validation of their experience. And they too are often very grateful for posters who unwittingly provide that confirmation.

Each of us is helping others, even though we may not realise it and may never learn we've provided help. So please post all your experiences, because even though you might imagine you're alone with that experience, the odds are that someone out there is desperately searching for someone to confirm and validate a weird or troubling experience of their own, after which they'll be able to relax, reassured that it 'didn't just happen to them'.

Please just go ahead and start writing ... tell it all, hit 'send' and put it out there. That's the way to demystify what are, after all, human experiences that are too often hidden away. Let's push those barriers over. It's the only way we're going to shine the light on what is obviously a vitally important (yet often suppressed) element of our human experience. Until we can discuss these experiences openly, we're only half alive and still operating in fearful ignorance.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Dock6

Experiences in my case are also not ones I sought. In fact I found throughout my life that asking for things to happen, as a way of confirmation, only lead to disappointment. I learned to accept them as they happened as I got older. The bigger issue that remains is, "Why?". A question I started asking at a very young age. These days, I'm not entirely sure I want to know, or that I'd like to forget. Going through life being so keenly aware of people's emotions introverted me and brought me to self-imposed isolation. The human heart and the human hand so often seem disconnected. Being here at ATS has been a test for me, and not one I'm sure of being too successful at. But I'm working on it. I'll share as much as I can, as much as I'm told is beneficial. Thank you for the encouragement.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I love this thread and just wanted to share my crazy experience with you all. Not a life-and-death situation but whatever...
I was rushing the frats at UW in the summer just after graduating highschool. I drove home from a frat while quite drunk (stupid as hell but I don't do that anymore). I got home safely to my house and went down to my little brother's room. I was a pot head at the time and I'd never smoked with my brother who was 2 years younger than me. I convinced him that we should smoke but I didn't have a lighter on me so we both got back in my car to head to the gas station. I had a bunch of fireworks in my trunk, it was a hatchback Integra so they could be seen pretty easily. Once we got the lighter we started driving home and I let my bro shoot a couple bottle rockets out the window (I'm still drunk as hell and it's like 2:30 in the morning). We are almost home and this cop out of nowhere starts following me. O nooooo... I'm thinking... I try to drive straight and actually get all the way to my house and park when the cop finally turns his lights on. I'm *SNIP* I think, and I roll my windows down for the officer. He takes my id and asks me if I know anything about the fireworks that he heard a little bit ago. "I don't know anything about that" I say and I can't bring myself to look at him for fear he'd see the drunk in my eyes or smell it on my breath.
So he goes back to his car and I'm basically panicking because I'm drunk, have fireworks and chron on me and just got pulled over. About a minute later a huge explosion sounds out in the direction I'd come from.
Immediately I know I'm safe, and the cop walks back to me and gives me my ID back. "You guys home for the night?" he says. I respond in the affirmative and he drives off.
So basically I was saved when I could have totally been screwed, and pretty much deserved it.
Crazy timing eh?

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
What a fantastic thread!!!

I have alot of great stories one that I'm sure you will like. In my life, I've had the worst luck possible. Anything from failed relationships, failing jobs, losing money, you name it it happened to me. In life or death situations you cant imgaine how lucky I've been. Missing death by mere seconds... and in some cases, feeling like I was taking out of time and reinserted. I'll spare you the other 10 times I almost died stories.

The first time i almost died was when I was a kid, perhaps like 9 or 10 and I never learnt how to swim until maybe 13. I remember I was at a friend of the familes home where they had a swimming pool in their backyard!!!
Well, i was kicking my feet from the pool steps and one too many kicks sent sliding from these steps into deep water. I remember myself floating to the bottom from a lying down position looking up at the water line getting farther and farther away. I vividly remember I was thinking to myself I was going to die. I felt like a baby bird who had falling from the nest. Very helpless little child. No way to get back up to the top and next thing you know someone jumps into the pool, a man, and pulls me out. I dont even remember who it was. I thought it was my uncle but he dont remember it.

Well, i asked my mother if she remembers me drowning at her firends house and she told me she did not recall a story like that. I know she was there. So, who saved me? Now I'm beginning to question who it was who saved me. My whole life has been like that. It must of been an angel.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join