It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN Larry King Live - Iranian President Interview

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Same goes for the person who thinks "raping bats is all the rage".

Sorry to waste your time hot shot. You do recall that you were the one who first replied to my post, not even addressing the full post and taking my statement out of context? Or is your memory that short?

You need to put some ice on that swelling head, all you do is skip off or whine in threads that aren’t going your way lately and it is quite nauseating to see an adult acting so petty and childish.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by mapsurfer_
I am southern redneck, and I approve this message.

Lets go up on the ridge fer' the shin-dig. *puts wad of backer in my lip*

But seriously, If Bush's outlook on things where like Ahmadinejad's, we would not be at war with people dieing, we would have a stable economy and we would of saved over half a trillion dollars.
Ahmadinejad said several times, he dose not want war or any conflicts with anyone, Iran has not invaded anyone in over 100 years, Iranians generally stay in Iran.
Meanwhile we have military bases stationed all over the world, waging war, killing people for nothing and soon the $1 will be used as toilet paper.
Who's the real bad guy when you step back and look at the whole picture?

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by theblunttruth

Social and religious freedoms hardly exist, unemployment is rife, inflation is at absurd levels and foreign investment is seldom. Yet he still insists on creating a larger divide with the western world because of his skewed view and ideology.

Might want to look at all the restrictions being put on the country thats causing that directly or indirectly.

As far as the religious part, I have no opinion. Different governments have different rules. I don't know enough about there's to say if it was fairly voted in or not.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by rapinbatsisaltherage

Uh, we are still talking about the Larry King interview right? You got anything left to add on that subject?

In the meantime, this thread might help you out on what and how to post.

ATS Thread

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
reply to post by rapinbatsisaltherage

Uh, we are still talking about the Larry King interview right? You got anything left to add on that subject?

In the meantime, this thread might help you out on what and how to post.

ATS Thread

I thought you put me on ignore? If not please address my post on the topic, since you cared to grace us with your presence. I mean my original post that was on topic before you singled out one part of it, took it out of context, and brought us into the off topic discussion you staggered away from when it wasn't leaning your way. K?

[edit on 30-9-2008 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Ahmadinejad is not a dictator by definition as he does not hold absolute control of all internal affairs, it is the unlected mullahs who hold the power. The president is almost a symbolic position as to give the guise of a democracy when in fact it is a religious theocracy.

Sure, and Americans didn't vote the republicans into office either of the last two times. There is plenty of tyranny to go around!

They hold presidential election as to give the illusion that people are actually voting for policy when in fact the power of the president is quite limited. This is the nature of their political system.

This is the nature of far too many systems that are nominally democratic! You can vote for your candidate but when it comes to them actually doing what you asked you find that your vote didn't matter all that much.

In response to your question "how many has he killed?", well the people who he inevitably serves were and are responsible for thousands and thousands of slayings of their own people during the revolution!

Sure but at least Iranians are dying with Iranians having at least some choice in rising up and fighting back. What chance did Iraqi's ever have in voting for Bush or Cheney?

Not to mention Evin which has housed hundreds of thousands of political prisoners over the past 30 years, many of which were killed for merely voicing an opinion against the regime!

And what do you call a drug user in the US other that a political prisoner? Why is there no nation on Earth who has a higher percentage of their citizens behind bars? Are Americans just more criminal than people everywhere else in the world or could you entertain the notion that at least as many as half of all people in the US justice system need therapy/help/money and not terms behind bars?

Stellar

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by StellarX

Sure, and Americans didn't vote the republicans into office either of the last two times. There is plenty of tyranny to go around!

Hardly a fair comparison is it?! Your talking about two entirely different systems!! I suggest reading up on the difference between two party republics and a theocratic system. Candidates are barred from running for merely being female for gods sake.....Not to mention being barred for not swearing allegiance to the unlected mullahs and an Islamic theocracy that no one voted for and was fooled by Khomeini promise of secularism!

Sure but at least Iranians are dying with Iranians having at least some choice in rising up and fighting back. What chance did Iraqi's ever have in voting for Bush or Cheney?

The same chance they had voting for Ahmadinejad and the IRGC, who, may i remind you are also meddling in Iraq along with Lebanon and Palestine. How many deaths were caused at the hands of Hezbollah, Hamas and Iraq Shia militias all sponsored, trained and armed by the Iranian regime.

And what do you call a drug user in the US other that a political prisoner? Why is there no nation on Earth who has a higher percentage of their citizens behind bars? Are Americans just more criminal than people everywhere else in the world or could you entertain the notion that at least as many as half of all people in the US justice system need therapy/help/money and not terms behind bars?

Oh please, how can you compare a fair judicial system with political prisoners. Murderers, criminals are worlds apart from say someone having a political opinion different to the establishment. Freedom of speech, you obviously relish it yet you speak out for those who crush it with force.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Hardly a fair comparison is it?! Your talking about two entirely different systems!! I suggest reading up on the difference between two party republics and a theocratic system.

Both are fundamentally about power and while one hides behind religion so the other puts on two faces so you can pick the aspect of the same motive you least dislike. If one wants to go further you can simple say that in the one country the religion is Islam while in the other it is the almighty dollar with people basically getting to choose which candidate best resemble's their personal views of the host religion.

Candidates are barred from running for merely being female for gods sake.....

So Iran is about forty years behind the US in it's battle against sexism. Big #%# deal. How short your memory is?

Not to mention being barred for not swearing allegiance to the unlected mullahs and an Islamic theocracy that no one voted for and was fooled by Khomeini promise of secularism!

Well the people did choose the Mullahs above the Shah so maybe we should discuss what they could have chosen if it wasn't for the Shah's brutal dictatorial regime? Who really robbed the Iranians of their choices?

The same chance they had voting for Ahmadinejad and the IRGC, who, may i remind you are also meddling in Iraq along with Lebanon and Palestine.

So is frequently claimed without much in the way of facts to substantiate it. As it stands why can't all countries meddle in the affairs of others ( which they are normally neighbours to or share cultural or historic ties with) when the US meddles everywhere from it's Continental fortress in North America?

How many deaths were caused at the hands of Hezbollah, Hamas and Iraq Shia militias all sponsored, trained and armed by the Iranian regime.

Not nearly as many deaths as Israeli and American violence in Syria, Irag, Lebanon, Iran and Israel? Again there is this presumption that Iran does all these things when the last person to be so accused, Saddam Hussein, proved to be innocent on all charges? Don't you learn anything from history beside that history seems to be 'anti-American' in that it does not reflect your propaganda induced view of recent history?

Oh please, how can you compare a fair judicial system with political prisoners.

I can because the American justice system is hardly fair and drug users plain old fashioned political prisoners while alcoholics cause destruction on a truly national scale.

Murderers, criminals are worlds apart from say someone having a political opinion different to the establishment.

Murderers may be but being a criminal in most other respects is largely something a government can decide if the people of a given country do not hold the reigns. How sure are we that the Iranians who are currently locked up for having 'different political opinions' are not suspected terrorist and foreign operatives in the eyes of the Iranian government and people? I mean who can the American justice system be used to prove this point when thousands ,if not tens of thousands, are currently held without charge for alleged terrorist 'ties'? If we are going to be truthful doesn't the Iranians have a better case for actually locking up suspected terrorist and foreign operatives given the history of western imperialism and coup staging in the middle east and elsewhere?

Not that i really believe that many in Iranian jails would be foreign agents but i can easily understand how the Iranian government can get away with without losing too much support in the Iranian public. Either way the Shah just had the political opposition assassinated so frankly the Mullahs have already shown that they are more humane than the average western puppet ruler.

Freedom of speech, you obviously relish it yet you speak out for those who crush it with force.

It's not easy to attempt a defense of a regime that the world can clearly do without so basically i would rather not say anything good about them if did not feel somehow compelled to paint a few clerics as what is 'wrong' with the world order. Such fantastical delusions is why the American government can get away with installing puppets, building bases or just invading countries without you raising your eyebrows as to just how dictatorial and 'evil' that in fact is.

In conclusion if you could concentrate on the problems with American society and the massive problems American sponsored violence is causing around the world i could do something more worthy than provide reasons why Iranians are putting up with their current largely unelected rulers. In fact if it wasn't for foreign interventionist there wouldn't have been anything like modern 'radical' Islam to 'deal with' in the first place!

As some prominent historians have pointed out the US have long created the enemies it eventually fought.

Stellar

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   
i]Originally posted by StellarX

Both are fundamentally about power and while one hides behind religion so the other puts on two faces so you can pick the aspect of the same motive you least dislike. If one wants to go further you can simple say that in the one country the religion is Islam while in the other it is the almighty dollar with people basically getting to choose which candidate best resemble's their personal views of the host religion.

That analogy doesn't substantiate the original argument though. Your talking about political system complexities and narrowing it down to a simple analogy that is neither coherent to debate or accurate. The Iranian system ultimately hands the power to the unlected, contrary to the US. Btw, i'm not sure why your counter argument regarding the legitimacy Irans atrocious regime is that of a comparison with the US. When not only does it serve to further give credence to my point but also highlight peripheral anomolies in both systems subsequently sending the argument on a tangent!

So Iran is about forty years behind the US in it's battle against sexism. Big #%# deal. How short your memory is?

Regardless of time frame, it's relevant and dispicable. Especially when the leaders you condone in Iran have the audacity to suggest that women in Iran have the most freedom in the world. Women are also targetted in courts and have limited social freedoms compared to men. Take a trip there and you'll see.

Well the people did choose the Mullahs above the Shah so maybe we should discuss what they could have chosen if it wasn't for the Shah's brutal dictatorial regime? Who really robbed the Iranians of their choices?

Please read up on the transitional period between shah-revolution-khomeini. The mullahs were aware that a theocratic system would be unpopular so Khomeini actually declared that he would not interfere and let the people rule. He then stuck in a secular puppet prime minister during that period as to give the illusion of democracy. Once people rallied behind he got rid of him, then installed Khameini and established the theocratic state. The people by no way chose this system, to suggest so is ignorant to the facts. During this period, Khomeini then fully embraced the Iran-Iraq war, describing it as a "god-send". The perfect distraction and tool for national union and backing government. I don't understand why you have conveniently ignored these facts, i can only assume you are unaware of them!

So is frequently claimed without much in the way of facts to substantiate it. As it stands why can't all countries meddle in the affairs of others ( which they are normally neighbours to or share cultural or historic ties with) when the US meddles everywhere from it's Continental fortress in North America?

Here are pictures of Iranian supplies issued to Iraqi militias..

news.bbc.co.uk...

Their meddling has been also acknowledged by many monitors outside of US control. Deny it as much as you want. The problem is when it comes to US meddling (which im not denying) its accepted, meddling from any other state and its denial!!

Not nearly as many deaths as Israeli and American violence in Syria, Irag, Lebanon, Iran and Israel? Again there is this presumption that Iran does all these things when the last person to be so accused, Saddam Hussein, proved to be innocent on all charges? Don't you learn anything from history beside that history seems to be 'anti-American' in that it does not reflect your propaganda induced view of recent history?

Saddam was innocent of killing hundreds of thousands of his own people? I think not. Guilty as charged! Regarding Lebanon, i seem to remember the US supporting a secular government in Lebanon whilst the Iranians were arming a movement(namely HEzbollah) to the teeth with weapons. The same movement that stated in its manifesto that it intends to impose Islamic Rule over Lebanon. That certainly puts it into context.

Not that i really believe that many in Iranian jails would be foreign agents but i can easily understand how the Iranian government can get away with without losing too much support in the Iranian public. Either way the Shah just had the political opposition assassinated so frankly the Mullahs have already shown that they are more humane than the average western puppet ruler

Humane? Are you kidding. Did the Shah have his agents harrass people in the street for merely wearing a tie? Did he have women beaten to death and throw acid in their faces for not wearing a hejab? The mullahs slayed thousands during the revolution and continue to do so. THe mullahs have driven their population to the brink of economic and social collapse. You go ask the average Iranian who has lived under both systems which they prefer, the answer will be a resounding wish for pre 1979!

It's not easy to attempt a defense of a regime that the world can clearly do without so basically i would rather not say anything good about them if did not feel somehow compelled to paint a few clerics as what is 'wrong' with the world order. Such fantastical delusions is why the American government can get away with installing puppets, building bases or just invading countries without you raising your eyebrows as to just how dictatorial and 'evil' that in fact is.

I concur, the US has got to rid itself of imposing puppet governments. That policy has now come back to bite them to the degree where even any government innocently aligned and allied with the US fears the domestic allegation of being a puppet. Therein lies the challenge for future US foreign policy. America has to find a balance between assistance and interference and again has to win hearts and minds.

Stellar i just want to re-iterate that i mean no hostility with my opposition to your posts. I relish debate and as im sure you do also. It's nice to learn of opposing viewpoints and also to understand the foundations of such. A star for you for clearly taking the time to analyse, interpret and subsequently provide counter points for continuance.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join