It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fears grow in Lebanon as 10,000 Syrian troops arrive on the border

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Fears grow in Lebanon as 10,000 Syrian troops arrive on the border

www.timesonline.co.uk

Syria has massed thousands of troops along its border with northern Lebanon in what officials in Beirut fear is a prelude to the first incursion since Syrian forces pulled out three years ago.

Although Damascus insists that its forces are conducting an antismuggling operation, the Lebanese Government is eyeing the moves with unease, believing that the unusual scale of the deployment has more to do with tensions between the two countries over recent sectarian clashes in northern Lebanon.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:48 AM
link   
uhhhh.......

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:57 AM
link   
If you can't beat up Israel, find someone weaker to pick on, like Israel's punchbag!

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by C.C.Benjamin

o_0 nothing to do with attacking/not attacking Israel

its an old deal, they moved in and kept troops in lebanon to protect it from Israel and prevent isreal from occupying more of Lebanon, israel pulled out out so did syria after a lot of international pressure when thier excuse of protection ended

now with Israel doing the whole grand stand 'were gonan hit iran' syria is just taking advantage of the situation to go stick troops in Lebanon again

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by noobfun

I agree with you that current developement probably has a lot to do with rapidly worsening Israeli-Iranian relations and possible attack by Israel and Iranian (or more important to the area - Hizbollah) reaction.
But just want to point out that Israel invaded Lebanon in 1981 (in 1978 small area too was taken). Syria had forces (40000) there, with mandate from Arab league, since 1976. Then was no Israeli presence on Lebanon soil.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Lebanon always had a small military force which is why it wasnt asked/expected to join in the yom-kippur war

the syrian troops were there as a supporting force should Israel break its borders and go on the offensive against its smaller neighbours palestine and Lebanon

well that was the official sell thats why they were there before Israel invaded and the same excuse they gave for sticking around after Israel left

the real reason .. its nice to have a certain amount of control on your neighbour and a large military group achieves that

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Yeah, despite your dense beliefs that these countries are all somehow in an Islamic alliance against Israel, they actually have political differences and so much so that it comes to potential war between them. Just because those people are "over there" does in no way make them "bad people" or all for one against Israel. I blame our education department

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Exactly. They cant even get along with each other and they fight amongst themselves constantly. They LOVE fighting. How can we expect them to ever have peace with Israel when "those folk sover there" cant even find peace amongst themselves?

Originally posted by DeadFlagBlues

Yeah, despite your dense beliefs that these countries are all somehow in an Islamic alliance against Israel, they actually have political differences and so much so that it comes to potential war between them. Just because those people are "over there" does in no way make them "bad people" or all for one against Israel. I blame our education department

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   
It always seems to escape notice that Lebanon has a very large Christian population.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

By using your logic, what do you have to say about America?

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by DeadFlagBlues

I would not say that America loves fighting because I used to be in the AirForce and know first hand that a lot of people Join because they feel that their country deserves hard working and dedicated citizens such as themselves... Other people ruined their lives and are looking for an escape. THe U.S. military is more than just war. When Catastrophes happen the U.S. Military will be there. The U.S. Military even does some community involvement work. Not only does it protect you (and im sorry but I regret to inform you that the U.S. Intelligence may not be perfect but they normally foil atleast one terrorist attempt a day to protect those that now hate their own country) The Administration is the Problem not the people serving their country. They thought they were doing the right thing and now they are bound by a countract. If they leave they can be shot, jailed or whatever the country wishes to do to them... you cannot just quit.

That said Syria Lebanon... who cares right?

All this fighting solves nothing. Jews are holding onto a temple that they worship, it goes against their religion but their shere ignorance does not permit them to see that they should just move to another location and let the childish babboon humans take it. It is land. It is sacred why? Jesus died there? Shouldn't the Christians be fighting for that land? They dont... (I mean Israel but the borders are what they are trying to control, so that they can move into the country itself next)...

Stop putting blame on Services of people its all about greed. We the People of the EARTH have to protect the EARTH and put certain people out of power. Humans do not think forthemselves anymore. I can see why in the Christian bible it says God was dissappointed and left for whatever reasons he did, probably to create more perfect beings. Leaving his corrupted Angels to watch over us... Life is sickening sometimes.

top topics

join