It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chrysler Unveils Secretly Developed Electric Cars

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Hey all,

I guess I'll ask the question, since I haven't seen it asked yet.

Why can't a system to recharge the battery while it's being driven be installed? With all the engineers working on these vehicles, why hasn't someone come up with an answer? seems to me this should be an easy fix, but then the conspiracy nut in me, figures that mostly free energy, won't be here ever. No money to be made by the battery makers.

An alternator recharges a gas powered cars battery, but no alternative for an electric motor?

Perhaps I should put my thinking cap on huh?

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by saturnsrings

An engine that charges itself? Wouldnt that be close to a perpetual motion machine? More power to you if you can figure that out. Maybe if the connections within the storage unit were made of some a room or operating temperature super-conductor but as far as I know physicists havent come anywhere near figuring that one out.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   

haha! I love the question. I asked my father that when I was 10. Hes an electricician. He described it to me like this and so I suppose a lot of people see it this way.

It is inefficient due to the battery taking so long to actually fully recharge, for this method to work youd have to find batteries that charge quickly like Energizers 15 Minutes Rechargable batteries... but they dont have those for big batteries (that im aware of)

Not only is it inefficient but you are losing a lot of energy reguardless and your talking about a lot of energy being created thats just wasted. And to do this you have to add the alternators to the car which will hinder performance... mounting it is difficult also... I over the past few years have been designing (on paper) model cars in a way to get around these difficulties but you cant get around the difficult task of energy storage.

I agree with you their is much potential. But I've come to realize the corporate elite will not give up their power, they wish to make money while sitting on their butts and doing nothing. They wish to own an idea and make money off of it. All they have to do is buy the patent and nobody can touch it for 7 years? or maybe ever...? not sure. The reason all this new stuff is coming out... The Patents time frame is running out. The energy revolution will bring America out of this depression. We need intelligent people such as yourself working hard to actually put things into motion.

Edit to add:

I forgot to add the most important part... The amount of Batteries and the amount of energy they need is enormous. Dont forget that part. You acnt just use 1 battery your going to need a minimum of atleast 8 or 10(regular car batteries). Even that however isn't very efficient thank goodness for the new technologies out there!!

[edit on 24-9-2008 by rjmelter]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by daddysreturn

www.instructables.com...

Are you talking about a 12 year old boy or 14 year old boy?

Either way I wonder why this hasnt hit the world yet... and i will tell you why
Big business doesn't want us having free energy. These people who have worked their entire lives to put innocent poor people on the streets and hardworking americans in their factories.... need us to work for them, pay them all sorts of ways...etc.

Imagine a world without powerlines. Each house has its own power plant.

The landscape of the world would drastically improve.

The one thing that I feel needs investigation is HighWays and Roads... Do you have any idea how much heat Roads put off? You want to talk about global warming and you have your anwser. Stand barefoot on Asphalt or cement at 6 AM 8AM 10 AM then 12 AM. You will see my point. Then remember how many millions of miles of road there are in the U.S.A and other countries.

Humans have to rething civilization. It is that time again for adjustment.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by rjmelter

OK, I'll just throw my idea out there, but I get half of any money that's made from it, Deal?

There's four wheels turning right? There has to be a way to connect an alternator to each wheel, therefore recharging the battery, maybe it wouldn't fully recharge said battery, but it may keep the car running for a few hundred miles.

As a previous poster said, the powers that be won't allow for free energy. (paraphrased)

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Check the above post because I edited it to add:

I will summarize though.

You cant just use 1 car battery you have to have a lot. There is a certain amount of energy it takes to create 1 horsepower and I beleive it its 750 watts. Dont forget amps, current, all that fun electrical nonsense.

You can connect them to the tires (by tires I am also speaking axle and hub) but you have to keep in mind that they are spiingy they hit bumps they spring in the air that would rip apart belts and chains... there arent many other connecting devices. In theory you could design special tires with magnets in them that when turned create current, but the amount of technology that would go into that is still being produced today. It would have to be super strength due to the nature of how fragile wires really are. The Wear and Tear is exceptionally large factor also.

I would say that if that were to work I would pay you... but I would debate that first because I also had that idea lol. If you really want to help the world you would have to stay below 5% Profit off of the design. You ahve to keep it virtually free... while still financing your future experiments. You sound like a very intelligent lad. Keep the Ideas coming. You may yourself invent an electrical car yourself... or atleast a great concept of keepign it on the road. On the road charging I feel is imperative. As other posters said Solar and Wind technology has potential... like you could add a turbine on the car to charge it partially. The new Solar technology is amazing too. All 3 together you may have no need to recharge
The brilliant thinkers in this post should create their own thread for designing cars and marketing them or something because big businesses sure arent doing it.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Why secretly I wonder.. This sounds like a great idea.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by mapsurfer_

I am betting secretly because the Oil Companies bought out the patents years ago... and now that they are becoming available once more the Oil Companies have asked the car companies to keep the cars on the backburner, giving oil companies time to make profits and make engineering leaps to find ways to make money while sitting on their butts.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   

I wholeheartedly agree with you that, there are brilliant minds here on ATS.

Perhaps thinking outside the box is all that need be done, to me it should be an easy fix, something that as soon as it's built, everyone will say, DOH, why didn't I think of that.

Lets everyone put our minds together and get it done. As you said, the big wigs of the auto industry aren't getting it done.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   

It would be nice to get things in motion. Ill add you as a friend and keep in contact, however lets stay on topic

Im surprised more people are not responding to this article... years of being ruled by oil companies and finally being able to get away from it and everybody is pouting over losing their new car that gets petty MPG and costs them an arm and a leg. No need in being upset over it... Change is inevitable and it is always for the better, those who wish to obscure its importance are the ones you should be down cast about.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Shere Khaan

Wow, I find it cute, fascinating, and scarey all at the same time.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by mapsurfer_

It actually may be about competition. I know that a lot of the Asian companies are feverishly coming up with ideas. Pretty soon the electric/alternative market is gonna be heated like the gasoline care market.

Going to be kind of interesting to watch.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by rjmelter

It would be nice to get things in motion. Ill add you as a friend and keep in contact, however lets stay on topic

Im surprised more people are not responding to this article... years of being ruled by oil companies and finally being able to get away from it and everybody is pouting over losing their new car that gets petty MPG and costs them an arm and a leg. No need in being upset over it... Change is inevitable and it is always for the better, those who wish to obscure its importance are the ones you should be down cast about.
Thank you for the kind words, I'm going to put some ideas down on paper, so it's time to get off this computer.

I also added you as a friend.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
the minute on of these babies come out im getting one!! never again will I pay for gasolne!! f the oil companies!!!!

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Zepherian

Electric cars with solar power are already developed, check this out: Around the World with solar power

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I would be more excited about this news if:

1. They were releasing these cars now instead of in 2 years. What good does breaking the silence 2 years in advance get you, unless it's a move to attract more investors?

2. Dodge/Chrysler vehicles did not consistently rate among the poorest among domestic vehicles in Consumer Reports tests. I put great stock into what CR has to say about cars because of a 1992 Dodge Shadow I owned. CR's review was right on the money. Everything they said would go wrong did go wrong with that awful car.

BTW, that Peapod looks like something you should get with a Happy Meal.

[edit on 24-9-2008 by sos37]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
1. They were releasing these cars now instead of in 2 years. What good does breaking the silence 2 years in advance get you, unless it's a move to attract more investors?

Read the article... they arent "releasing" these cars in 2 years. They're expecting to display them in showrooms in 2 years. Which means that actual production is far longer than 2 years away.

Personally I think his lineup is weak and with little of interest. No doubt they're all gonna be expensive far beyond the average car too. Well, except the ugliest and crap performing car of course, they got to have one of those that no one want to buy them and they are forced to buy the more expensive car.

All electrical cars is clearly not the way to go: Car and oil companies are far, far to greedy for it (not to mention the electric companies, I'm sure their mouths are foaming just thinking on it). We need better hybrids, that can handle driving electrical for shorter distances.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
If leaving my laptop plugged in and mostly in sleep mode jacks my electric bill almost $30/month I'd hate to see what charging my electric pick-up would cost. As it is I only have to fill it once a month for about $40.

Jesus man, how much do you pay for electricity?.. and what kind of a beast of a laptop are you using?

At 5cents per kWh, and my laptop consuming 15W... that's... .075 cents per hour... makes, 54 cents a month... I usually round up though... a dollar.

... like I said, it costs you 30 bucks a month?!

What do you have for a cooling unit in that thing? An industrial freezer?

... I think someone is stealing electricity from you.

[EDIT TO ADD]

ROUNDUP OF COSTS: TESLA ROADSTER VS. HONDA ACCORD

Alright, the Tesla Roadster... the benchmark of electric sports cars, outperforms most everything else out there.

To completely recharge the vehicle, giving you 220 miles to drive, it would cost... approximately $2.64 on the grid I'm on.

So... if I were to drive 6,600 miles in a month (lol, extreme) it would cost me $79.20.

In one of the most efficient gasoline vehicles, the Honda Accord, this would cost me $23.84 per 220 miles... and... lol... $715.35 per 6,600 miles.

... so to recap.

TESLA ROADSTER : $79.20 to drive 6,600 miles.
Or, $0.012 per mile.

HONDA ACCORD: $715.35 to drive 6,600 miles.
Or, $0.108 per mile.

lol... I'll take the electricity bill, thank you very much.

[edit on 24-9-2008 by johnsky]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

Good to see that someone is doing the math. I was already wondering how comparative the numbers would be... Thats not comparative at all. Tesla Wins!

edit to add...

Am curious though, where did you get your numbers?

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   

A couple of places actually, just Google it, you'll find a few independent groups who have done testing on vehicles, gasoline, and electric.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join