It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Artifact from Atlantis?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I looked at that one also, the brown one, wasn't it from a reproduction site?

edited for excessive quoting.

[edit on 25-9-2008 by seagrass]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
More answers received from the owner

Excerpts copied from email:

Weight?=7.5 pounds 2.

Volume? About a liter or more for the oil pot

Has it been carbon-dated?

Not while I have had it. It was in a museum, so they may or may not have. This is the first time there were instruments for testing metal comp etc so in the past it could not have been done.

Where and when exactly was it found?

Can't be certain as to date. I remember the paper tag when my mom first got it and it said bimini. Used to think what is a bikini have to do with it.

It is 19" high and 5 3/4" at the widest point. It was dipped in gold and the patten is laying over the gold plate layer. I think that if there were any other items with gold covering people would know the finish but I doubt there are very many. I could take a scraping of the build up inside the flame part. They would be ash from the last time in history it was burned but not a solid age dating for the item.

It is indeed a torch and it is shown upright.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I knew it!

I remember the paper tag when my mom first got it and it said bimini

Bimini Keys/ Bimini Road... Edgar Cayce's predicted location for the rising remnants of Atlantis.

This makes things very interesting.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I trust the source of this information as sincere and trust that he´s not using Bimini to add to the mystery of it. If it indeed is Bimini, thats an Atlantis-correlation right there.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I love archaelogy, ancient civiliations, and all that goes with it. If nothing else, that is one great vase design, I love it.. wish I owned it.

As far as where it was found, that could mean nothing at all. Unless they find other items of interest in the same area, there is a very good chance it was just an item of trade, that with a sunken ship, ended up at the bottom of the ocean. Vases in ships were either used to store goods like oils and rice and so on, but this is not that sort of vase. It's decorative. So it probably was just an item in a merchant ship that lost cargo or sunk.

Was there anything else at all found with this item?

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Im not a metallurgist however i have worked with bronze copper steel titanium you name it in machining or castings. This is a fake , the dead give away is the green oxidation is brilliant green and obviously paint. When bronze or brass begins to oxidize it pits the oxidation does not sit on top of the metal it digs into the metal , it also tapers off slowly not rounded like you drop a drop of paint on something.

If this object is not metallic then i retract my statements.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
It is quite obvious that it was used to carry fire on ones journey. It has tie-downs on the sides to allow a strap or rope to go through and secure it to a horse, wagon or ship. Think of it as a giant lantern to guide the way. The design of it with the cutouts would allow air for combustion but would also prevent a strong wind from blowing it out. Maybe that cloud picture is a "Wind God" that they have overcome with the design?

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Ok.. I have some news... they just found some Mayan ruins in the Cuban shore so that might be a clue. Another thing I think it has to do with fertility not that I have a dirty mind but most artifacts display this (imo). As seen the way the picture was taken the "flame" looks more like a female reproductive organ and then I see 2 dragon heads then on the "bottom" looks like a male reproductive organ. My 2 cents.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
This is getting more and more interesting...

The Bimini conection...wow...what can i say more..!

[edit on 25/9/08 by Umbra Sideralis]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
So, at first it was "unlabeled" at the museum (hard to believe) but now there was a paper label that mentions "Bimini".

This story has all the earmarks of a tall tale.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAttackPeople
So, at first it was "unlabeled" at the museum (hard to believe) but now there was a paper label that mentions "Bimini".

This story has all the earmarks of a tall tale.

I agree thats a contradiction. Reason is, I was going from memory of the text accompanying the email more than a year ago.

However, find us an expert who can tell us what it is, and we can have some relief here.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I still think the markings closely resemble this authentic Ming Dynasty vase (this is not a reproduction):

Larger Version

Obviously, the item in question is not a vase, but the design elements closely resemble what is on this vase.

JMO, though. Maybe you could e-mail the pictures to a Ming Dynasty art expert and see what they have to say?? That would rule out yet one more thing that it couldn't be or verify what it could be.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
However, find us an expert who can tell us what it is, and we can have some relief here.

I am.

I spent a little cash and have one of those online antique appraisers taking a look. I'm not hopeful but maybe we can learn something.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
The objects immediately below the flame are a pair of Holly leaves.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

ITS A ROCKET ENGING.WHAT LOOKS LIKE THE FLAME OF A CANDLE IS ACTUALY THE PLUM OF A RCKET,,THINK VIMANA,,,ITS RIGHT ON THE THING,AND LOOK AT THE SHAPE,,THE SQUERISH THINGS ARE HOW IT WAS ATACHED,,[email protected]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by IAttackPeople

Very generous of you. Star

I find the bimini connection good, there has been dives aroung this place, and they have found interesting things. Like huge slabs, paved into the sea floor. and artifacts.

They also found an underwater pyramid there i think

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
My first thought upon looking at the "flame" was that of female genitalia. Could it be that this was a torch used in a fertility ritual?

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Notice the spiraling square design? I lean toward Pre-Columbian, though this site makes a case for the symbol meaning "sea voyages with safe returns or overseas explorations." Given that the spiraling square pattern is more square than elongated and the other symbols, I lean toward a pre-columbian motif.
www.symbols.com...

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I am certain, that it has elements of the chinese Bronze "gu" vases.

chinese artifacts

This one is a chinese Gu vase, bronze, and has similar maze markings

www.britannica.com...

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
More info from the Owner...

Excerpts from email:

It never had any paperwork. The few times my mother took it to so called experts they had no idea and never wrote anything up. The sole identification was one of the old time manilla tags about 1 1/2" by 2" with the red paper reinforcing ring and a cotton string tied to the bottom. It had numbers at the upper left and a word or two I don't remember and in the lower left it just said bimini. The back of the tag was blank as well as the middle part. My mom cut the tag off and put it inside when she got it and it was not there when it was delivered to me.

Seems like the experts are stumped. I hope some of the pictures passed around can reveal something.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join