It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook and Narcissism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Now Facebook is getting a sceintific workover according to a story I just read...

A new University of Georgia study suggests that online social networking sites such as Facebook might be useful tools for detecting whether someone is a narcissist.

“We found that people who are narcissistic use Facebook in a self-promoting way that can be identified by others,” said lead author Laura Buffardi, a doctoral student in psychology who co-authored the study with associate professor W. Keith Campbell.

It got me thinking.....

The researchers found that the number of Facebook friends and wallposts that individuals have on their profile pages correlates with narcissism. Buffardi said this is consistent with how narcissists behave in the real-world, with numerous yet shallow relationships. Narcissists are also more likely to choose glamorous, self-promoting pictures for their main profile photos, she said, while others are more likely to use snapshots.

I wonder what this study would find if they examined BTS?!?!?
What would the signs that they would be looking for here I wonder?
Any suggestions?

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Hi VIKING.

They would realize that we (BTS-ers) are the most creative and thought-provoking people in the world.

Or that members like me need to get a job....I'm just sayin'.

Rush

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by hsur2112

hey Rush..Get a job ya bum!!
Who am I to talk.

You are right though in your analysis. I also wonder if the caring thoughtful side of BTSers would show or if we would also be considered narcissists with "numerous yet shallow relationships"? God forbid anyone doing the study should stumble across a LordInfamous thread.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I think they'd find pretty similar stuff to what they find on Facebook. With an extra anonymous/paranoid twist

And that we're the greatest people in the world, super-smart, super-creative, but with way too much time on our hands.

Or in my case, not really too much time on my hands, because there's plenty I could be doing instead, I just don't always use the time I have wisely

EDIT: seriously, I think a lot of the same criteria could apply here, just with a little adaptation. For instance, people who start a lot of threads but rarely bother to read other people's thoughts probably tend towards narcissism. People who use U2U a lot probably have made pretty significant relationships here. People who only frequent one or two specific forums might be using it more as a "career-networking" or "hobby-networking" site rather than as a social site.

Avatars would be a little harder, because whereas on Facebook most people use their own picture, that's relatively uncommon here. I had to laugh, though, about the contrast between people who used glamorous, self-promotional shots vs. people who use snapshots: it fits awful well with my own collection of Facebook friends

[edit on 9/24/08 by americandingbat]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by americandingbat
I think they'd find pretty similar stuff to what they find on Facebook. With an extra anonymous/paranoid twist

And that we're the greatest people in the world, super-smart, super-creative, but with way too much time on our hands.

Too True....

For instance, people who start a lot of threads but rarely bother to read other people's thoughts probably tend towards narcissism.

Yes. And people who insist on answering every single post individually instead of grouping them.....Oh no...did I just do that?!?!?:bnghd:
Oh Well. Better get back to the thread so I can S&F myself....

(Can someone please give me a token star since I cannot star myself apparently...
)

[edit on 24/9/2008 by VIKINGANT]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Myfacebebo is full of posers no mistake there.As for BTS, not so much, there is a handful i suppose who scream for attention and for one member that seemed to be their sole gimmick.By and large BTS is full of good and humble people and its always interesting to see what they look like and you can spot the posers on here from a mile away.

top topics

join