It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeschooling Banned in California as State Turns Parents Into Criminals for Teaching Their Own Chil

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 01:55 AM
link   
In my opinion this will be the test of what American's will really put up with - or not.

Let's just see what happens.

...taps...

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Is it possible for my child (when he reaches school age) to be homeschooled and attend public school at the same time? I do believe an integral part of the education is to instill patriotism and loyalty to the People. Being a rather young parent, and knowing the mistakes I made, I would like to homeschool my child for the first few years of his life to help him understand what he is going to enconter in school.

I want my child to still attend public school so that he is able to make a connection with the general population and his peers in the community, and not grow up with a possibly elitist view of less privelaged or educated individuals whos parents do not have the time or opportunity to offer the same.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by ANoNyMiKE

How do you know that they aren't? This seems entirely reasonable to me, if I were a university I wouldn't accept a kid that went through high school at home getting taught whatever his parents thought were important.

If said *kid* could pass any entrance test given then you'd have no reason not to accept the child.
Unless what you wanted enrolled in your *university* were robots. Good little patriotic New World Order students.

...taps...

[edit on 24-9-2008 by silo13]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:08 AM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Something like over 60 percent of the land here in Alaska is owned by the Government, yet we have the least roads of any state in the union. A HUGE portion of society up here lives in extremely remote villages and homes.. Home schooling is the only logical answer to this problem. But home schooling shouldn't just be limited to where it is needed it should be an option for any parent.. What we need is the government to openly allow and support home schooling by whatever means.

For any state to ban home schooling is un-american and unacceptable. It isn't up to the government how people choose to school their kids.. Some people are going to home-school their kids regardless of whether or not the government backs it because in some cases it is the only answer.. What we need is the goverment to support the appropriate decisions of the parents. It's ultimately the parents that take everything into account when making the decision anyway, not the government.

In many cases public or private schools are not even available, are too expensive, and/or are thought to be too much of a risk to the child because of how dangerous the schools are these days. If this happened to Alaska people here would be so pissed off I don't even know what they'd do. It should be up to the parents anyway... Sometimes home schooling can be a much better learning environment than public schools, that's for sure. I would have LOVED to have the opportunity to be home schooled when I was growing up.

-ChriS

[edit on 24-9-2008 by BlasteR]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by BlasteR

For the people by the people!

Instill patriotism? Let's start with instilling global unity first.

edit: that last line is meant for dyepes.

[edit on 24-9-2008 by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ANoNyMiKE

Why should the kid suffer... agreed!
Home schooling all the way.
Do some research. The home schooled kids blow away the state taught kids.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Something stinks about this news source, why am I not seeing this anywhere else? Like at hsld.org, or the LA Times? Hsld.org is usually pretty speedy with these things, and the only article I see on their website is: Washington Times Op-ed—California Court Reverses Decision’ this is about a victory for homeschooler's in ca.

[edit on 24-9-2008 by sexysadie]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Edited out my own post with incorrect information in it.

[edit on 24/0908/08 by neformore]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I'm a little late on this thread but I have to chime in. I have said before, I have three kids, my oldest is 14 now and has always been a straight A student. This summer he told me he didn't want to go to high school because the newest trend is online school and all his friends are doing it. I said if all your friends jump off a bridge would you want to do it too? So I enrolled him in high school. By the way, his high school is one of the top rated schools in the country. Not the state, THE COUNTRY. But because I love my son I spent a lot of time researching online school. I found out it's just as good if not better than actually going to an actual school. I checked out the courses, spoke with the counselers, the principal, etc. My son has an above average IQ and being in a classroom is frustrating for him. So I caved and started him in online school this month and withdrew him from regular high school.

So far he is getting straight A's still and is nine weeks ahead in most of his classes. He has regular online live conferences with his teachers and other students and his teachers call the house once a week just to touch base. This has been a blessing. He is so happy and doing so well, I can't beleive we didn't do this sooner!

Home schooling and online schooling is the newest and for us; the best thing to ever happen.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:09 AM
link   
It's the same in Germany -

"After the Nazis were defeated there still remained laws on the
books hostile to home schooling and those laws now are being
enforced by the German government. Home schoolers are fleeing
their country and some are moving to Austria right across the
border which allows home schooling. I heard about one who went
to Norway with this family.

One man I saw interviewed who knows what is behind this says
that the German government does not want the kind of citizens
in Germany that the home school movement produces. But the
German government encourages their own diplomats abroad
to home school their own children using the curriculum put out
by the German government.

The goal of the German government is to completely wipe out
the home schooling movement because they want to keep all of
their citizens brainwashed by the state system curriculum."

Which state/country will be next?

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by SonicInfinity

This is an old story and the verdict was changed in August.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:33 AM
link   
This is SERIOUS!!!!!

Please people of America, STOP THIS!
I am not of your country, I live on the other side on the date line, but decisions like this made in America set strong precedents in my Country. Our corrupt government looks to America for its marching orders. If this is allowed to stand, it directly puts everyone's freedom at risk.
Please, please take back this right of yours to be the true authority over your children.
If you let this slide, the rest of the western world faces a terrible uphill battle.

PLEASE regain control of this mess! If you don't you will leave the door wide open for the state to take away more of your authority over your children.

Just turn the TV off and get this fixed. Please!

If you can do that, we'll all know that American's are still people who care about people.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Recouper

I wouldn't worry so bad Recouper, I haven't seen any proof that this is real. See my post four up.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by sexysadie

I wouldn't worry so bad Recouper, I haven't seen any proof that this is real. See my post four up.

Gez, I hope your right. I just used NaturalNews' feedback facility to request confirmation whether or not the article is true and correct.

Also, I've read through a few pages of comments here and noticed some people stating along the lines that this doesn't sound bad as home schooling probably isn't that good and a state schooling institution probably covers education better.

This isn't about that. What if the curriculum changes and suddenly you as a parent are extremely concerned about you child's belief system being shaped in a way that is directly at odds with what you would consent to? What if the only school you could send you child too is dangerous and sending your child there puts their life at great risk?
If you have no choice, then that's just too bad.

Whether a state school or home schooling is better for any particular child, the decision absolutely and most certainly needs to belong to the parents of each and every family. That must never be taken away from them.

If you think your child or children will be better off going to school; great, send them to school. Just make sure it remains your decision.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 04:38 AM
link   
www.informationliberation.com...

This is why they are going to ban Home schooling, they are conditioning our children to be passive and dependent on others, having little to no self esteem or character. After reading this article i fear for the education for my future children, if that is i decide to even bring children into this mess of a world we live in. I would almost think it unfair to the child that is forced into this world.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 05:04 AM
link   
I don’t know about Cali, but Germany has in fact banned home schooling. It’s all about control. Controlling your child’s world view and particularly their ideas about gov. After all, if you’re abdicating your responsibility as a parent to see to your child’s education and giving it to the gov, you have to expect the gov to see to it’s own self interests first when dealing with your child.

Even if you send your child to gov schools, you’re going to have to do a fair amount of educating anyway, and most of the stuff that really matters. What kind of education a child gets is all about good parenting, and if that doesn’t exist, no gov school can correct it. Children of poor (bad) parents don’t do well in gov schools as it is. How much worse could it be if they’re home schooled? All they’ll be missing is the gov indoctrination.

Also, I think that the whole ‘socialization’ aspect of gov schools is way overblown. There are plenty of ways to have your child interact with others outside of gov school. Get them in a YMCA sports league, church activities, etc. In these situations, it’s much easier to choose who your child is exposed to, and so what kind of behavior they learn. This is particularly important in the early formative years. In gov schools, your child will learn about the least common denominator in math class, but will be exposed to it in the social sense as well. It’s not elitist to not want your child to be hanging out with the children of crack heads.

edit schmedit

[edit on 24-9-2008 by resistor]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Yes I agree with parents right to home-school, but again I wouldn’t worry about CA. they just won a major victory. What is NATURALNEWS.COM? Sounds like a website I might create after my sixth Scotch whiskey,

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Homeschooling doesn't seem to be very common at all in the UK, but I definitely plan to do it - either fully or partially depending on work commitments.

I'm trying to imagine the practical implications of disobeying a law like this. If they were to ban homeschooling in the UK, and I refused to enrol my children in the local school with the intention of teaching them at home, I guess I could probably expect to have my children taken away from me on the grounds that I'm unfit to 'care' for them. When you look at it like that, the potential for anti-homeschooling laws is actually an enormous issue. You can take away someone's car, home or job and they'll begrudge it, but take away their children and it's everything to them. Who would dare disobey a law that might result in losing your children? No-one that's who. This is absolute totalitarianism. A huge step towards complete oppression IMO.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by SonicInfinity

That is part of no child left behind the Obama and the left wants to get rid off. People who homeschool get a 2500 credit to buy school supplies and books, if you go to a public school then the goverment gets that cash. Democrats want all the cash they can get for all there be whoever you want to be programs even at the expense of our childs education. It happening here in Alaska. Begiegch or Begbitch however you want to pronounce it, wants to get rid of no child left behind up here too.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join