It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeschooling Banned in California as State Turns Parents Into Criminals for Teaching Their Own Chil

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Once home schooling is removed, watch. They will start introducing more mind control programmes similar to the Sesame Street "Let's Get Ready for Emergencies" crap.

And most people will think it's great.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Wonder if it has anything to do qith the fact that home schooled kids Don't have to be vaccinated?

Now everyone in california will have the vaccination when and where ever they are told. Otherswise you can't go to school??

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Sonic Infinity

I wonder what the credentials would entail? Anyone can pick up a semester or two...

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I was trying to find the percent but there's a high percent of homeschoolers that make it into Harvard and other ivy league schools. So they're doing something right.

Public school is like daycare, tax payer funded. Pretty much a waste of time..

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   
This is very old news. i don't know why they are just printing it.

This was overturned on Sept. 6. Homeschool defense league worked on it. HSDL - check their site.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by SonicInfinity

Excuse me!? I was home schooled by a mentally ill, incompetent, psychotic mother who never had two shreds of common sense, not to mention nothing more than a basic high school education. She was given free license to pull me and my sister from public school, use the inadequate ACE (Accelerated Christian Education) curriculum books, and all it did was further alienate me and my sister from society, set my sister back an entire year educationally, and instilled in me a horrific fear of mathematics that lasted until my early twenties.

If a parent does not have a teaching credential, they shouldn't teach what other people spend a greater portion of their lives learning in order to be a good educator.

You have offended me more than I ever expected this to. You don't know at all how dangerous and just plain ignorant your defense of uneducated people teaching uneducated children really is. Some people spend 20+ years in the educational system and still don't have all the skills necessary to be a qualified teacher.

What makes you think that a parent out of high school (which is also what you are condoning) has the skills required to teach anything in terms of knowledge required to truly succeed in this society? Dumb down our kids, that will make them complacent and will believe everything you tell them. Ah, the controlling parent's dream child.

You know nothing of what you are trying to peddle. Ignorance is your best friend, I'm sure.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by GideonHM

Obviously you haven't read this thread through very well.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with homeschooling, but I can assure you, you don't represent the entire nation's homeschool population.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ANoNyMiKE

If the kid can pass the entrance exam, who cares where he was schooled right? Or is knowledge only acknowledged when it's from a state accredited school?

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I have no problem with homeschooling in general. I just wonder in what income bracket would the families that homeschool their children fall into. My main problem with homeschooling children, doesn't come from altering educational priorities, I think bringing up different subjects in a homeschool setting is fantastic and I think it gives children many more oppurtunities than they would be afforded in a public school. However, if the trend continues and if we don't fund public schools and somehow make them adequate, then I think we would revert back to a system where only those who can afford it are properly educated (in the sense they can become productive members of society, to whatever ends). I'm a bit of an idealist, so I like the idea that education is the great equalizer and without fixing the public education system and solely supporting private individual education, I fear many people would fall into a self fulfilling prophecy of poverty and ignorance, especially when the middle class, job market is more technical than it was 25 years prior.

(pardon the anecdote) I have known people who succeeded in homeschool because of devoted parents, who had the resources to spend the time and teach their children (although some of his skills were lacking, like grammar but his inquisitive nature and critical thinking ability totally made up for it) and others who onely did it at the behest of the child because they didn't like the work of public school. I grew up in a rural part of California and since funding was great because of STAR test scores, I went to a better public school than most. Now that I am in the SF bay area, I definitely see all the problems you speak of.

To sum up, I'm basically worried that education won't be available to all (it isn't at the moment either, but I fear it will get worseas voters determine that public school is less important). Coming from a lower income family ~30k a year in California, and an immigrant family (from portugal), I just realize that we would never have been able to be homeschooled, or go to private schools and in a sense, I'm a bit loyal to the education I received. I think it should be overhauled first and foremost to increase efficacy, and homeschool rights should not be infringed. I just worry that we won't end up having both as viable choiced (right now public school is definitely not viable in all areas).

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   

dude, a wee bit over the top in the dramatics!! obviously she did not fail you in that regard.

I have taken a few college courses, but really all in all, I have learned more from doing my own research and teaching myself. I am actually offended that you would think I am LESS than adequate in terms of teaching my children and not "apt" enough to decide what I feel is most important for them to be educated in, in the first place. I am sure nature is offended at your attitude as well seeing that they were put in my care through natural processes and not in the hands of the gov't, the school districts, or you.

[edit on 24-9-2008 by justamomma]

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   
"A primary purpose of the educational system is to train school children in good citizenship, patriotism and loyalty to the state and the nation," Croskey wrote.

SCARRY! I wish I had the time to home school our kids. We are, however, very active in our childerns education & what goes on in their schools. The stories I could tell...
One of my kids still goes to school in trailers, 3 years after Katrina, while the Bay has a new ychat club.
My oldest daughter was harrased by 2 councilors and a cop for 'touching" a friend.
We refused to sign forms giving the school premission to give pshcy eval on our kids if they deem necessary.
the list goes on...

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Your grammar and sentence structure is good.

You obviously know how to navigate around the internet on a computer you know how to work.

You are definitely a victim of home-schooling.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Basically, people who taught at Universities had to fight to get the rights to even have free speech on campus at the turn of the last century. Now we have people that think citizens whom are not accredited with Institutions should not be allowed to teach their own children. This seems to sound like a familiar pattern of rights restrictions recently. I would say that for every kid with a crazy or incapable parent there are a dozen with level heads doing a great job. Freedom comes with a price sometimes, i would rather have one kid messed up than a entire classroom thrown away, which given that poor learning in public schools spread like memes, we should know better than to put them into the same rooms and to age segregate them too.

The association suggests that "The principles of Academic Freedom and Tenure" date back to a 1925 conference. Also providing a history, O’Neil (2005) suggests that the formal origins of the statement of academic freedom in the United States begins with an earlier 1915 “declaration of principles,” when the “fledgling” AAUP first convened (p. 92). While it seems commonsense that academic freedom aligns with the values of democratic rights and free speech, O'Neil (2005) also notes the ideas of academic freedom at the time were not entirely well received, where even the New York Times criticized the declaration, but that today the statement remains “almost as nearly inviolate as the U.S. Constitution” (p. 92-94). The AAUP notes that following a series of conferences beginning in 1934, the association officially adopted the "1925 Statement of Principles on Academic Freedom and Tenure," which then started to become institutionalized in universities only since the 1940s.

The AAUP offers the original principles, including the 1940 interpretations of the statement and a 1970 interpretation, which codified evaluation of the principles since the time they were adopted. The statement is straightforward, based on three principles of academic freedom. Briefly summarized, the first principle states that teachers are entitled to “full freedom in research and in publication of the results," and that the issue of financial gains from research depends on the relationship with the institution. The second principle of academic freedom is that teachers should have the same freedom in the classroom. The third asserts that college and university professors are citizens and should be free to speak and write as citizens “free from institutional censorship.” (American Association of University Professors, 1970)

What a long way we have come since 1970. Today professors can criticize anything EXCEPT the institutions they work for, why else would only 5% belong to a group that has advocated professor free speech rights since 1915. I find it ironic that at the university people are still being manipulated and having their rights violated and that the public school systems bear no relationship in some people's minds at all to the outcomes of kids that can't compete in college. I would even say that kids do good despite being trashed in public schools, but would do far better if given room to explore and learn from the greater world in general, rather than being locked into boxes 40 hours a week. That sounds more like a way to train people for boring jobs than a way to educate them. Now we have the internet and the school system can be seen for the prison that it has become.

"It is our liberty, above all else, that defines us as human beings, capable of ethics and responsibility. The struggle for liberty on American campuses is one of the defining struggles of the age in which we find ourselves. A nation that does not educate in freedoom will not survive in freedom, and will not even know when it has lost it. Individuals too often convince themselves that they are caught up in moments of history that they cannot affect. That history, however, is made by their will and moral choices. There is a moral crisis in higher education. It will not be resolved unless we choose to resolve it."---from The Shadow University by Alan kors and Harvey Silvergate

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Finally a State, and a Governor, with enough courage to fight against the worst form of slavery and brainwashing in America. I just hope other States have the same courage to ban this outrageous practice.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANoNyMiKE

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by ANoNyMiKE

You really have not clue how the home schooling is done do you, this no about a parent teaching whatever they want to their children, in order for the child to get credits for grades they have to pass the state test for their grade level, so the materials use for the home school are state approved.

The difference is that home school children do better than public school ones as they don't have to deal with the crap that goes on in public schools.

learn the facts.

Obviously I've hit a sore spot.

Being a parent doesn't quality you to teach math or science or history, sorry. Guidelines like this are put in place for the kids, the parents seem to think it's all about them.
Some parents probably make decent teachers, a lot don't, why should the kid suffer? Even if he takes a state test, why shouldn't he be given the best possible education? The parents that actually realized this isn't about them, who went to be educated themselves, would put kids through home school getting As, while the rest selfish ones will end up giving their kids C's and D's.
Here is a good reason why some parents are homeschooling there children, sex ed in the 4th and 5th grade. also in the state of tennessee there was a group of high grade seniors where give the G.E.D. test for the state which i have taken and pass with top scores, 95 out of 100 failed this test. this is why parent of kids have decieded to teach them at home verses sending them to public school. i am the product of homeschooling and private school. i hold a B.S. in C.A.D i hold my homeschooling and private school rank high on things i'm thankful for.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
*waiting for the "less socialized" card to be brought out of the deck*

Yeah, lol, that's usually the first card they pull out. My response is typically, "So what part of socialization are my kids not getting? USA swim team, community choir, AWANA, Warriors of Faith, Daisies (girl scouts), fieldtrips with other homeschoolers, weekly swimming with other homeschoolers, attending church on Sunday and weekly volunteering at the animal shelter. If anything, my kids get tooooooo much socialization! Then they say, "Oh, but most homeschoolers...." Like they really know.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANoNyMiKE
I can't get my head around why you're essentially arguing you shouldn't need an education in teaching in order to teach your children. Why is that so ridiculous? Again I would think parents would want the best possible education for their children, why wouldn't you then get the proper training to enable that?

You're kidding, right?

Do you know how easy it is to gain a teaching degree?
Do you know how useless most of the teaching units at a university course are?

The hardest part of being a teacher is managing undisciplined little failures, who obviously have never been taught anything by their parents, including respect.

Homeschooled children can ignore the crap around them in a school and learn to their heart's desire.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by ghaleon12
I was trying to find the percent but there's a high percent of homeschoolers that make it into Harvard and other ivy league schools. So they're doing something right.

Public school is like daycare, tax payer funded. Pretty much a waste of time..

I've read that Harvard, etc, are actually recruiting homeschoolers and they're put on par with private school kids - they're far more likely to get in than their public school counterparts. This is typically because they're not cookie-cutters. Schools like harvard are looking for something that distinguishes an individual and sets them apart from the rest of the pack. Public school kids tend to be cardboard cut-outs of one another. Like paper dolls holding hands. That's the image I have in my head. They're all the same.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I don't mean to be condescending towards teachers, but the material covered between grades 1-12 is seriously a joke. The notion that parents shouldn't be able to school their own children because they're not trained educators is ridiculous. We're talking about reading and arithmetic here not quantum theory. And when you consider how pathetic the American education system is right now it seems criminal to refuse parents the right to do it themselves.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Kruel

(Be warned, the following is not for the weak minded)

Yeah, home schooled kids are the bottom of the barrel. I mean, just look at how Tim Tebow turned out. You just dont get much lower than that.

Home schooled kids really do miss out though. I mean, they dont get exposed to as much racism, bigotry, the occasional knifing, potential shootings, sex crazed teachers, abusive bullies, etc. How ever can they learn when they have their teacher on hand 24/7 versus being in the wonderfully overcrowded public school system listening to incorrect answers and wrong logic all day? Why would any parent with sufficient knowledge ever want to home school.

(note: this post wreaks of sarcasm)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join