It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeschooling Banned in California as State Turns Parents Into Criminals for Teaching Their Own Chil

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Alarmist2012
Get with the program or go to jail... The choice is yours, you are FREE to choose!

And so the empty words are continually uttered, "one nation under God with liberty and justice for all."

The land of the FREE, c'mon.
America is no different than any other country except that it's been brainwashed the most into thinking that it actually is.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Alarmist2012State education is essential in child development and programming, without it they will end up with too many free thinking adults in the future.

We need a docile, compliant and obedient society if we are to dominate the world of the future. Homeschooling is dangerous, lacks the required learning that we want your children to have. Get with the program or go to jail... The choice is yours, you are FREE to choose!

Ya know, I don't have much help in raising my children. I am a single mom with two school aged boys. They are both in school and if this were to become a law in my state, honestly, I would comply. Hell, it isn't a law, but bc I am a single mother, I have to take advantage of that time when they are in school to work.

But if I had the advantage to keep them home, I would... no doubt in my mind. When/If they changed things up on me though, I would comply in this area bc they still come home to me and I am still able to teach them REAL life lessons outside of school. Ultimately, we need to be wise and not jump bandwagons and risk having our children taken away permanently, imo.

To paraphrase, if this becomes a reality in your state, my best advice is not to risk going to jail and losing your children, but use your intelligence in making it work to your advantage... anything can be manipulated to work for you and your family's advantage if you take the time to really think about it

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   
A parent is qualified to teach their children up to the level of their own education. I would even say that they could teach anything that they could learn at the same time. Teaching is understanding and translating that understanding to the student.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by ANoNyMiKE

You really have not clue how the home schooling is done do you, this no about a parent teaching whatever they want to their children, in order for the child to get credits for grades they have to pass the state test for their grade level, so the materials use for the home school are state approved.

The difference is that home school children do better than public school ones as they don't have to deal with the crap that goes on in public schools.

learn the facts.

100% truth there Marg

I cant really add much other than to say what a great post

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
"A primary purpose of the education system is to TRAIN school children in good citizenship, patriotism, and loyality to the state and nation"

Funny i thought the primary purpose of the education system was to TEACH children, not to TRAIN them. They should be teaching math, reading,english, etc.

You don't teach patriotism,and loyalty it's earned.You are patriotic and loyal to a country that deserves patriotism and loyalty not to one that tries to shove it down your throat. When did America become a communistic country that TRAINS their children to be patriotic and loyal ? You also teach good citizenship, you can't train people to be good citizens.

OMG i can not believe that some idiot actually made that statement ! They just flat out told us that they're primary purpose is to BRAINWASH our children ! I'm sorry but that statement outrages me.

They don't want to teach them anything, they just want to TRAIN them like dogs, or mindless zombies !

Who do they think they are kidding, they don't teach our children anything about these things anymore. Hell they don't even teach them what's in the constitution anymore !

All they want to do is to make sure that parents don't teach them about our constitutional rights, the fact that this country is a republic and not a democracy, and just how corrupt and out of control this goverment really is.

They don't want our children to be free thinking individuals, they want them to conform to what they want them to be, believe what they tell them, live as they say.

I seriously hope that these parents take this all the way up to the supreme court.

This stems from the fact that the goverment believes that every child belongs to them and that the parents are only allowed to keep them as long as they do what the goverment wants them to do.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SonicInfinity

I have had a thread about this since May of this year. It already has 105 replies:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
And then somebody else goes on to say that the children need to be "in a place where they would be observerd by people who had a duty to ensure their ongoing safety"

Just who do they think observed them and ensured their safety until they enrolled in school ? Their parents, that's who and they did it out of love, not duty.

They can't keep our kids safe in school anyway and we all know it. We've got massacres inside our schools now. Teachers molesting our kids. Police patrolling the schools because of the gangs, metal detectors,etc. How are they keeping our kids safe ?

What a bunch of hogwash ! They are trying to take full control of our children is what this is really about !!! They're saying that it's not a constitutional right to home school our children, but where in the constitution does it say that we have to send them to a school to learn ? Where does it say that we can't home school them ?

They take our money, they are taking our rights a little at a time, and now they are trying to take our children ! When are we going to say enough is enough ? When are we going to stand up and take our lives back, take our country back ?

It seems like every day they take something else away from us, i'm so sick of it. I don't think that i have yet to come across another thread here that has outraged me as much as this one. As far as the goverment is concerned.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I currently go to a top 1 percent high school in the nation in California and I honestly think that they are taking my education as a joke. My physical science teacher cannot spell nucleus, sulfur, kinetic, matter, and several other 'science' words that I expect a qualified science teacher to be able to spell. In several of my classes the text books have not yet arrived nearly a month in the school year. Nearly all of my teachers do not know how to manage a class room and most of the time it is out of control and hard to concentrate on the generic worksheets that we are given. And mind you, this is a 'top 1% percent" high school in the nation. That fact we do not stop hearing about since all the administration cares about is how well we score on tests that have no effect on our lives but goes towards the schools overall rating which in turn raises their paychecks. It's sad.

I forgot to add that our US history exam from the state last year stated that the USA launched the Sputnik probe.

[edit on 9/23/2008 by racerzeke]

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANoNyMiKE
I can't get my head around why you're essentially arguing you shouldn't need an education in teaching in order to teach your children. Why is that so ridiculous? Again I would think parents would want the best possible education for their children, why wouldn't you then get the proper training to enable that? This proposal in CA is simply stating exactly that, not that home schooling should be outlawed... The logic of your arguments escapes me.

What on earth makes you think that just because someone goes through a university and comes out with a teacher certification that they're "qualified" to teach? i'm sorry, but teaching is a "gift" and it is really not something that can be learned very well. You either have the ability to teach and to be a brilliant teacher, or you do not!

I have a bachelor of science from the University of Michigan. Does that "qualify" me to teach my children? I successfully passed engineering calculus. Do you think I can teach it? I tutored college adults in remedial math when I WAS IN HIGHSCHOOL. I've been told by many people that I have a gift for teaching and guess what, I don't have a teaching certificate. I design all of my own curriculum based on each of my children's individual learning styles, strengths and weaknesses and I concentrate heavily on the fundamentals of reading, writing and math.

I am of the belief that public schools are terrible, hideous places that churn out "average" adults that cannot think for themselves.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   

How do you know that they aren't? This seems entirely reasonable to me, if I were a university I wouldn't accept a kid that went through high school at home getting taught whatever his parents thought were important.

You should really do some research on home schooling.

Parents are not allowed to simply teach their children whatever they think is important. The states require the parents to supply the state with a teaching plan.

The children are tested by the state to make sure that they are performing at the state level for their age.

Home schooled children also have field trips, go to special classes at museums, etc to make sure that they are being exposed to the things that they need to be exposed to.

And most home schooled children exceed the required scores for passing the state test and actually excell over children that attend public and private schools.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by chise61

Actually, every state is different. Some states offer more freedom to homeschooers than other states. Some states require testing, but not all states do. I know this may sound wacky, but I am actually against testing, atleast at the early primary levels. In my state, I am allowed to design my own curriculum. There are 7 core areas that I have to cover, but I am free to cover them in whatever way I choose. I do not have to teach exactly what the public school is teaching at say, the first grade level. Maybe there is something that I want to save for 2nd grade, but there maybe a 2nd or 3rd grade idea that I want to teach in 1st. I am free to do that, without worrying about teaching to a stupid test. I can teach to my child instead.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
What people here forget would appear that California has a budget crisis and a immigration crisis, specifically as a result of forcing people to use services by creating mandates for children to NOT have to learn english or to not be able to use the money from taxes on a use basis. You want to use public school, then here are the costs...etc. Instead everyone pays for something they all can't entirely agree upon, and then we have battles over what constitutes a "proper" education, when people have ignored the fundamental assumption being made, that all people "need" the same kinds of education. One size fits all solutions are no solution at all, you simply can't expect reality to conform to your expectations, that maybe why homeschooling makes sense, people that do this understand this and everyone else with common sense would rather have lower taxes and more time to spend with their kids, that would be unless they never wanted them in the first place, which leads to more issues of responsibility.

Kids who get homeschooling get an advantage over those that are forced to sit at a specific spot at a specific time and told to shut up and not question anything that a group of strangers tell them. Which makes them easier for the government to control when they reach adulthood, as well as easier to rip off if the government says something can be trusted in the world of finance. Plus they will appear less likely to follow orders without any examination of the premise. People that don't ask questions don't want to know much of anything in the first place, THAT has to be taught at an early age or else you can't manipulate them.

These debates appear like arguing over whether slaves have the right to read or learn to write. Frederick Douglas was a document forger in his day and he was free. Today you're a criminal if you stray off the school plantation, who do you think wants to keep the kids on that plantation?

Google Video Link

“Grades are a problem. On the most general level, they're an explicit acknowledgment that what you're doing is insufficiently interesting or rewarding for you to do it on your own. Nobody ever gave you a grade for learning how to play, how to ride a bicycle, or how to kiss. One of the best ways to destroy love for any of these activities would be through the use of grades, and the coercion and judgment they represent. Grades are a cudgel to bludgeon the unwilling into doing what they don't want to do, an important instrument in inculcating children into a lifelong subservience to whatever authority happens to be thrust over them.”---Derrick Jensen

[edit on 23-9-2008 by bubbabuddha]

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Wasn't the obvious title of this thread:

Home Schooling TERMINATED in California...

?

I subscribe to the "the state can't mold kids into what they want if they are at home school," and "it costs the state too much money" arguments.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ANoNyMiKE

Being a parent doesn't quality you to teach math or science or history, sorry. Guidelines like this are put in place for the kids, the parents seem to think it's all about them.
Some parents probably make decent teachers, a lot don't, why should the kid suffer? Even if he takes a state test, why shouldn't he be given the best possible education?

The public school system doesn't offer the best possible education. That's a lie.

On November 16, 1990, the National Home Education Research Institute (NHERI) released its first report on 1560 homeschooling families:

"his research showed that on students K-12, “On standardized achievement tests, the homeschooled students performed at or above the 80th percentile on national norms in terms of their reading, listening, language, math, science, social studies, basic battery, and complete battery scores.” The national average in conventional schools is the 50th percentile.

Both the SAT and ACT publishers have reported for several years that the scores of the homeschooled are higher, on average, than those form public schools. For example, for the 1999-2000 school year, the home-educated scored an average of 568 in verbal while the state-school average was 501, and 532 in math while the state-school average was 510.

Homeschooling: Facts VS Myths

Deny Ignorance, the Public School system is actually an inferior education, not vice-versa.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Being a parent doesn't quality you to teach math or science or history, sorry. Guidelines like this are put in place for the kids, the parents seem to think it's all about them.

Even if he takes a state test, why shouldn't he be given the best possible education?

Being a teacher doesn't qualify some teachers to teach math, science, or history either. In some private schools the teachers don't even have teaching credentials, and they have even found some in public schools.

There are kids graduating high school that can't even read at an eighth grade level. They enroll in college and must take pre college reading before then can even take college level english, they must take pre college math before they can take college math. That doesn't say much for the state's education of our children in my eyes.

Parents that home school don't think it's all about them, quite the contrary is true, they think it's all about their children.

In many cases home schooling IS the the best possible education.

Maybe you should reread the article, because the state doesn't seem to be worried about teaching children math, science, and history anyway. They seem to be concerned with training them to be good little loyal patriots and good citizens, and making sure that they are "kept safe ".

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Ron Paul Girl

Thanks i wasn't aware that there were states that didn't require testing.

The way that they allow you to teach in your state is one of the reasons that home schooling can be so beneficial to children. You are allowed to teach your children at the pace that you feel is best for them. You can give them and individualized education that is basically an impossibility in a school, especially a public school. The guidelines that schools must follow don't really allow any room for the individual child, where home schooling does.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonicInfinity

How long until this is implemented in all states across the US? I guess they think parents are teaching our children the "wrong" things.

www.naturalnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

How do you know that they aren't? This seems entirely reasonable to me, if I were a university I wouldn't accept a kid that went through high school at home getting taught whatever his parents thought were important.

Then you would be an idiot administrator, with a university full of fellow idiots. University people USED to think like you. That is, until they started actually TESTING those kids. Turned out, they do WAY better than any other class of students. Nice try at the propaganda though!

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by sir_chancealot

30% better to be precise.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
*waiting for the "less socialized" card to be brought out of the deck*

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Why is requiring formal training in education in order to be an educator a bad thing?

Most of what I learned that I have used in "real life" I did not learn from someone who had formal training in education. As a matter of fact, the most important things were learned either before entering school or after leaving it.

Having formal training in education does not give you Yoda-like powers. Teaching is providing the information and guiding someone through that information. As an adult, I learn every day, without the help of a teacher. I seek out the knowledge on my own and use my experiences to assimilate it. Children need to be presented the information. They sometimes need help in translating that to "real world" scenarios. I don't think a college education is required to do that.

What do you think formal training in education gives that most parents would be lacking in?

Studies regarding homeschoolers have shown that having a parent with a teaching certificate does not change academic success.

HSLDA research

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join