It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to prepare for a depression

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Lately, I have been looking, listening, watching, for signs of bad times and needles to say you would have to be a blind man not to see the signs.
Im just a Ole Country Boy living on a farm trying to survive just like everyone else. This past spring my wife & I discussed many options for the up & coming year. One thing is for sure even with the price of a barrel of oil@ 90.00 and declining its only take 1 thing from Russia or Iran to change that. These 2 countries are really getting pissed off at oil declining and now they are losing money. So saying that we are putting in an outside wood furnace to heat our home. Thus eliminating our need for fuel oil. I would rather bust my own butt getting fire wood than pay some Arab to heat my home.
We increased our garden size 3 fold and froze & canned extra veggies.
We raise our own beef, and stock up on sale items. Today, I bought 40lbs of Perdue Chicken Breast's and 40lbs of Perdue Chicken Thighs for .88cents a lb. I split them with my neighbor and vaccum sealed and froze them. I will be getting a generator as well. I will also have 3 propane
gas grill bottles for back up for cooking etc. I have been buying xtra ammo to protect my supply if needed when everyone else is in a panick mode. If I can offer you any advise stock up on FOOD.
With the up and coming issues at hand we are headed for Stagflation.
Loss of Jobs, Slow Economy, Crime on the rise and High Prices especially on food.
I have taken the level approach and started my build up early.
Here in the north when a snow storm approaches the 1st thing a supermarket runs out of is Bread, Milk, & Eggs. Can you imagine what another Depression would cause ? People would panic and wipe out the food supply. So GO BUY FOOD but use the level headed approach.
Now is the time to invest in you & your families future & survival

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I personally feel a little nervous ,i've been shopping on and off for the last five days,i came in with a sack of rice on my shoulder and my wife laughed at me,she thinks i'm nuts,my dog doesn't though'(don't forget the dog/cat food!)
Most people are so unaware and will completely freak out if this market goes from bad to worse,we will open up our home to other families if necessary,so i am stocking for more than just us, just in case, ,i think this is a time when people need to pull together and help one another,just my thoughts.

[edit on 10-10-2008 by all2human]

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by all2human

Even though the market has come back some, I'm still a little nervous also.

We've been buying more each time we go to the store and stockpiling things that we use.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

Always a good idea to pick up a few extra items. Not like you wont use it in the long run anyways. Dont forget barter items. Things like tobacco products, alcohol, etc...

Depression=People being depressed. Vice items will carry special weight should we find ourselves in that posistion. You want a drink, I need a ditch dug.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
INVEST IN COMPANIES THAT MANUFACTURE ANTI-DEPRESSION DRUGS

Good question tho, seems like a no-brainer to me.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I am getting ready to make a purchase of freeze-dried foods from www.TheReadyStore.com.

Does anybody have any comments about this company and/or the idea of freeze-dried foods?

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Convert cash into any commodities you can-food,water,gold,silver,guns & ammo.

Read Holly Deyo's "Dare To Prepare"-there is little if anything she has left out.

Good luck and good cheer.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Two books that are worth the money:

The New Complete Book of Self-Sufficiency by John Seymour

Back to Basics: A Complete Guide to Traditional Skills, Third Edition by Abigail Gehring

(tried to post links, but it didn't work- they're readily available on Amazon)

[edit on 14-10-2008 by antisocialbutterfly]

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Harry S. Dent, Jr. (economist) wrote a book back in 1992 called the "Great Boom Ahead". In that book he used demographics and spending patterns to predict a boom through the 90's and early 2000's. It makes since that the economy will expand if each successive year has more people born than the previous and a contraction will happen if the opposite happens. The key is to know when babies born on a particular year will spend the most money in their lifetime and that happens to be between 46-50 years old. After that, they spend less money - kids grown, focusing on retirement, etc.

Dent graphics the demographics curve and shifts it 46 years and gets a good picture of how our economy reacts. He predicts the peak of this boom to be approximately 2007. He extended it to 2009 in a later book - adjusted for immigration. The graph shows a downturn that will not bottom out until approx. 2023. That is 14 years of recession/depression!

Dent is not exact on numbers or dates but his main theory is sound. In fact, if you take his adjusted curve and overlay it with the DOW (adj for inflation) it matches very closely - data going back to 1953.

There were 2 booms before the baby boomers in the first part of the last century and they were the Henry Ford and Bob Hope Generations. At the end of Henry Ford's generation was the 1st great depression. After the Bob Hope Generation was the recession that started in the late 60's and ended in the early 80's. The early 80's was the beginning of the baby boomers spending wave. The end of the 2000's decade will be the end of their spending wave. The Y-generation boom begins it's peak spending years in 2023.

A new version is in the works called "The Great Depression Ahead: How to Prosper in the Crash that Follows the Greatest Boom in History". I will pickup a copy. BTW - I have no financial association with Dent.

We have no children; I'm at the peak of the baby boomers and just turned 51. I just lost my job at the beginning of this stock market crash and we are preparing our house to sell. We just paid off our 3.25 acre land that is on a small river - with fish. We should have enough equity in our house to drill a well, buy a small RV and have some stash cash (not all US dollars). We will plant gardens and have a few chickens.

I hope this info is useful and good luck to everybody.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by antisocialbutterfly

I linked your books for you.

New Complete Book of Self Suffieiency

Back to Basics

Those both look like valuable resources.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Don't forget diapers, formula, and other essential baby items. If you are having a baby soon breastfeed to ensure a continued food source for the new little one!!

Soap for washing pots laundry and selves, a good homemade lye soap will for all and is better than anything you can get at the store anyway.

Most cats will be a great asset in times of hardship, even the declawed ones, as a great many of them are excellent hunters and mousers and rodents carry disease.

Dont forget heartworm medication and flea medication for your dogs, especially if they have flea allergies.

We also have sunscreen stashed, if we have to travel long distances on foot or bike or horse I do not want to do it with a sunburned cranky very blonde fair skinned child!!

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by gluetrap

We just got three years worth of heart worm medication for our dogs.

We also just bought two more bags of dog food.

You do have to think about the little furry family members even when times get tough.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
lots of things you can do , one of the most important, get pets that you can breed for food and barter.. example chickens , rabbits, even good dogs make good barter items..

as for the chickens, you pretty much have to be in a rural setting for that biut rabbits you could litterally do in a decent sized appartment, and they bread like well rabbits, a single doe can produce 1000% her body weight in offspring ina year and the offspring will be ready for eating in 8 weeks.. or use them to barter for other items you need.

Also get seeds now and not the hybrids that wont produce good seeds next year.

Barter items.. think about what people will really really need to survive, these things will become so valuable its not even funny.. think about this if you had a few rabbits making 16 to 24 babies every 8 weeks you could easly provide food for your self and breeding stock for others, a breading pair would be very valiuable to others. same goes for chickens.

Our survival group has chickens and rabbits in the plan..

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by E-ville

Good thoughts. Right now you can still get just about anything that you want at a reasonable price. That may not be so easy in the near future.

Another thing that people haven't mentioned yet is tools.

If you're going to garden you need shovels and hoes and things of that nature. You can purchase some nice ones at pretty reasonable prices right now.

I looking to replace some of my tools that are pretty worn with some nice ones that will last a long time.

Think and prosper.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

it called forecloser....the banks will forclose the morgages and if the owners cannot find a place to rent then they will become homeless. Thats what happened in the states....the banks gave morgages to anyone and everyone and now people cant afford it so now 70% of morgages are being foreclosed but the banks cannot afford it either so they are going bankrupt and that is what is going to cause a depression!

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by NW111

do you honestly believe this? you cannot prepare? you dont think all the things these people are saying are useful? you arent going to stock up on things???? I think you wouldnt be able to prepare if you are ignorant to the fact....however, familiarize yourself with what these people are saying and you CAN plan for the future and prepare for the worst! I think all the people who stock up now have a way better chance of surviving a depression then the people who have no hope at all!

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
reply to post by E-ville

Another thing that people haven't mentioned yet is tools.

If you're going to garden you need shovels and hoes and things of that nature. You can purchase some nice ones at pretty reasonable prices right now.

I looking to replace some of my tools that are pretty worn with some nice ones that will last a long time.

Tools could be bartered with and old tools cleaned up and shapened make great presents. Garden tools are very useful but so is a chainsaw, a metal digging bar/rockbar, axes and two-person saws, and my favorite trick up my sleeve is a cable pulley system for lifting heavy items. A Tirfor Griphoist (a come-along on steroids) will lift cars in the air and do the lifting work of bobcats and backhoes.

Tarps have multiple uses.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Banks can also go bankrupt. I'm not sure where you got your number that 70% of mortgages are being foreclosed on. Most of the people that I know are still making their payments. If they lose their jobs that could change.

But if the banks don't get their payments and end up foreclosing on a property, they don't want to keep it, they want to sell it. So, now, in my area, bank owned homes are being sold at about 1/2 of what they sold for at the peak of the market. If you've got a stable job it's getting to be a good time to consider purchasing a house.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
So, we're making yet another run to a warehouse store this weekend to further stock up. Our cupboards are bulging.

We're only purchasing things that we use and that we can store for long periods of time.

If a true financial disaster hits, we're pretty prepared. If it doesn't hit, we won't have to shop too much this year.

I do hope that everyone is getting prepared.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join