It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Army Invests in 'Thought Helmet' Technology For Voiceless Communication

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   

U.S. Army Invests in 'Thought Helmet' Technology For Voiceless Communication

www.physorg.com

At the moment, the thought helmet concept consists of 128 sensors buried in a soldier´s helmet. Soldiers would need to think in clear, formulaic ways, which is similar to how they are already trained to talk. The key challenge to making the system work is a software system that can read an electroencephalogram (EEG) generated by the sensor data, and pick out when a soldier is thinking words, and what those words are.

Because the brain is a complex system and generates such large amounts of data, researchers must also make improvements in computing power. Soldiers will also have to be trained to think "loudly" to make it easier for the system to pick out their words from the brain´s background noise. Also, every individual´s EEG signals are a little different, so users and computers will have to be calibrated so that computers recognize each person´s unique mental pattern.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Hmm, I'm kind of on the fence with this one.

On the one hand the technology sounds pretty cool and futuristic-A 'telepathic' communication medium of sorts.

On the other hand, I can see the potential for devices reading thoughts having the usual potential for sinister and controlling measures.

I do wonder though, if this is perhaps a glimpse of future communication mediums that all will be using eventually?

For people concerned about the ethics of the technology, Elmar Schmeisser, the Army neuroscientist overseeing the program, reassures that the technology will not allow mind-reading. As he explains, since every user has to be trained with the system, it would be impossible to use the technology against an individual´s will and without their cooperation.

Instead, the researchers are interested in potential civilian benefits. One such application might be a Bluetooth headpiece which could read speakers´ thoughts and transmit them to the person they´re calling - eliminating those loud, one-sided conversations in public.

www.physorg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 23-9-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I find this to be quite scary on different levels. But as is the case with all technology, the development is inevitable. If it can be invented, it will be invented, like the atomic bomb.

Obviously I worry about what this technology would mean for freedom of though, but I have another thought on the topic as well. And that would be what sort of psychological affects this sould wind up having on the soldiers themselves. I know that I have become very reliant on the automatic headlights in my car. To go back, I'm sure I'll be having a lot of dead batteries forgetting to shut them off, and tickets for not putting them on. I have already run into this problem driving other people's cars. And the remote entry. The other day I was actually stumped for a second as to why the button didn't unlock the door to my motel room.

Technology overload. What will this do to the reliability of our soldiers? Especially if they are suddenly without their helmet or somesuch.

join