It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biden garbles Depression history

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Biden garbles Depression history

Joe Biden's denunciation of his own campaign's ad to Katie Couric got so much attention last night that another odd note in the interview slipped by.

He was speaking about the role of the White House in a financial crisis.

"When the stock market crashed, Franklin Roosevelt got on the television and didn't just talk about the princes of greed," Biden told Couric. "He said, 'Look, here's what happened.'"

As Reason's Jesse Walker footnotes it: "And if you owned an experimental TV set in 1929, you would have seen him. And you would have said to yourself, 'Who is that guy? What happened to President Hoover?'"

link to article and YouTube interview:
ifreedomtrail.blogspot.com...

[edit on 23-9-2008 by ProfEmeritus]

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I am not posting this news to start any trouble. I read the article, and couldn't stop laughing. No disrespect meant to Joe Biden, but you have to admit, it was really funny. Actually, I like Joe Biden. He speaks his mind. It's just some times, he seems to make statements that seem like they came from Yogi Berra. Like Yogi Berra, I still can't figure out whether he is a genius or a comedian.
If you wish to comment on this, fine. I'm not out to flame Joe Biden, because I think he's a decent guy, but sometimes we have to laugh at ourselves and each other.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Heavens to Mergatroid it was obviously a slip of the tongue substituting "TV" for radio. It's really silly to get distracted by things like this when the world needs REAL thought put towards REAL existing problems.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Heavens to Mergatroid it was obviously a slip of the tongue substituting "TV" for radio. It's really silly to get distracted by things like this when the world needs REAL thought put towards REAL existing problems.

I guess you don't get it! Herbert Hoover was PRESIDENT in 1929, NOT Roosevelt!
It isn't the slip of TV for radio! I guess you don't know your American history either. However, if you'd like to have the Democrats take credit for the Depression, feel free.
You've just proven my point about the lack of knowledge of most American Voters. Where did YOU learn History?

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

I had left the link off by mistake. In the link is the YOUTube Interview by Couric of Joe Biden making the remarks.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by stikkinikki

Uh.. Biden also screwed up which president was in office at that time. It was Hoover.

Now before you try and pass it off as just "a slip of the tongue", you have to consider Biden's history of "tongue slips", and also how (probably) you and a ton of other ATS members and the MSM would have been crucifying McCain or Palin if they had said exactly the same thing.

Level playing field.

Deny hypocrisy.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Given Biden histories of gaffes, this one ranks pretty low in my opinion, in fact I think that 95% of Americans would have gotten this one wrong too.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
This is funny but that's about where it ends for me. I've been out of school for 15 years so I couldn't have told you who was president during the great depression either.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Maybe so, but I would have thought that a senator of 36 years would know who was the President during the crash of 1929. The TV part was just very funny. Again, I certainly don't think there are any political implications, it was just very funny, imho. As I said, I actually like Joe, he speaks his mind, which is unusual for a politician. Although I'm not a Democrat by any stretch of the imagination, Joe has been my favorite Democrat for a long time. I do agree with him, as far as his pro-labor stance, but not much else, certainly not on most social issues.

new topics

top topics

join