It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biden says ad mocking McCain is 'terrible'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Biden says ad mocking McCain is 'terrible'

WASHINGTON (AP) - Barack Obama's running mate says a campaign ad that mocked Republican presidential candidate John McCain as an out-of-touch, out-of-date computer illiterate was "terrible" and would not have been done had he known about it. (snip)
It included unflattering footage of Sen. McCain at a hearing in the early '80s, wearing giant glasses and an out-of-style suit, interspersed with shots of a disco ball, a clunky phone, an outdated computer and a Rubik's Cube.
"He admits he still doesn't know how to use a computer, can't send an e-mail, still doesn't understand the economy, and favors $200 billion in new tax cuts for corporations, but almost nothing for the middle class," the ad says.
(snip)
"I thought that was terrible, by the way," Biden said.

Ok what’s going on here?

Biden speaking out against his own campaign? Has he gone completely out of his tree? (And over something that, well, just happens to be true?)

This is getting crazier by the minute.

They’ve got to be kidding.

If it isn’t a beauty queen from the Great White North - It's a running mate who bad mouths his own campaign, and NEITHER inspire faith, security, or hope for the USA.

If anything makes me *see the light* that there will be NO election, this does!

...Ron Paul where are you!...

[edit on 23-9-2008 by silo13]

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 08:50 AM
link   
it seems being overly critical of your own team's ads is in vogue.

both sides have complained about this childish tactic but having it come from Biden is a bit harsh. that said, it should be noted that politics is all very well researched and scripted so whatever it is that Biden is trying to do by knocking his running mate will, eventually come out.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I can't fault a guy for trying to run a campaign with a little bit of class. That is one thing I have noticed that one side seems to be doing that the other side does not. I have seen Obama and Clinton both trying to make sure that people do not drag Palin's family into this, which I think is a good gesture.

I really don't like the no holds barred style of campaigning that politicians seem to be using these days.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Biden is a hilarious man. Not only is he sticking up for the competition, but he's also out telling people he wasn't the best choice for VP.

This guy is like a SNL sketch of himself in real life. It's priceless.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

it should be noted that politics is all very well researched and scripted so whatever it is that Biden is trying to do by knocking his running mate will, eventually come out.

Yes, you've got a great point there.
Still, I believe it's going to be hard for him to dig himself out of this.
He is continually stumbling over his tongue - in a most negative way - for his own campaign.
And if my first reaction is negative, I'm sure I wont be the only one - I wish I was don't get me wrong.

... * ...

[edit on 23-9-2008 by silo13]

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

I really don't like the no holds barred style of campaigning that politicians seem to be using these days.

Oh I agree 100%, and, in a back door kind of way I applaud him.
But not when he just blurts it all out to the press.
(Most) People just don’t understand honor these days, as pitiful as that sounds it’s true.
Some time ago in the history of the USA - his remark, though detrimental to his own campaign, would have been seen as the *right thing to do* - an act of a an *honorable man*.
These days?
Well, it just makes him look rather idiotic.

...oh bother...

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I was glad to see Biden's remarks. My respect meter went up a few points on him as well. Don't worry, though, he still has a long way to go in my book.

Still looks like this could all be leading up to a demo VP switch at the last minute.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
The tactic should be obvious. It makes him sound honourable and honest.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Well, any change in politics is good. I don't see anything bad coming out of what Biden said, honestly.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
The tactic should be obvious. It makes him sound honourable and honest.
...while bringing more attention to it as well.

They think we are stupid.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Within about an hour, Biden had issued a clarification through the Obama press office, trying to get back on message: “I was asked about an ad I’d never seen, reacting merely to press reports. As I said right then, I knew there was nothing intentionally personal in the criticism of Senator McCain’s views which look backwards not forwards and are out of touch with the new economic challenges we face today. Having now reviewed the ad, it is even more clear to me that given the disgraceful tenor of Senator McCain’s ads and their persistent falsehoods, his campaign is in no position to criticize, especially when they continue to distort Barack’s votes on an issue as personal as keeping kids safe from sexual predators.”

Biden's backtrack,

I bet his first response was the honest one.

www.boston.com...

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Joe Biden is a very blunt person. I respect him for that. He's worked with John McCain for decades on issues of common interest, and they respect each other. There is NO hidden meaning here. Joe is just speaking his mind. He felt that an ad that criticized McCain went too far, since John McCain does not have full use of his shoulder as a result of the torture he received, and using a keyboard is a very painful act for him. Joe is not the kind of person that does things for an agenda. He truly justs speaks his mind. Obama chose him, and quite honestly, Obama should not be chiding him, like a scolding parent, as often as he does. When Matt Lauer interviewed Obama yesterday, when Lauer brought up the question of the AIG bailout, OBama critized McCain for being against it, but when Lauer informed Obama that 3 minutes after McCain made his statement, Joe Biden also came out against the bailout, Obama criticized Biden, saying "Joe should have waited". Maybe Obama should TALK more to Biden, and get their act together. After all, it is Obama that is running for President.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I don't understand why everyone thinks that Obama and Biden have to agree 100% on everything, including opinions. They're not clones of each other. What's the problem with disagreeing, for God's sake? Being running mates doesn't mean that they're fused at the brain.

As far as I'm concerned, this is stupid. Palin and McCain disagree on some things, too. Nobody's throwing a fit about that.

People disagree. And if they don't, they're lying.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   

What's the problem with disagreeing, for God's sake?

I agree that they should be able to disagree. It is Obama, by his own words (check the Matt Lauer You-Tube interview) who feels that they shouldn't be able to have differences, and it was Obama that forced Biden to retract his statement that this thread is about. Obama has 2 years in the Senate. He shouldn't be trying to tell Joe Biden, with 36 years in the Senate, what to say.
Quite honestly, if the Dems had chosen Biden as their candidate, I would have probably voted for him, because at least I would KNOW where he stands and what he'll do. I can work with people that are honest, and speak their mind. I could never vote for someone who puts his finger to the political winds of public opinion, before deciding what side of an issue to come down on.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I don't understand why everyone thinks that Obama and Biden have to agree 100% on everything, including opinions.

I've no problem with them disagreeing, that’s only natural.
To air it publicly, now, when there is such a need for a STRONG alliance between the two - for the campaigns sake?
If they disagree - work it out behind the scenes - like any *marriage*.
You need to show the world a united and strong force, team.
Not a squabbling *Well I don't agree with you on that and it wouldn't have happened if *I* would have known about it*.
It also looks pretty damn lame that he's pointing the finger after the fact.
He should KNOW what's going on, every step that campaign takes.
Isn't that the job of the Vice President anyway?
To take care of the details the President doesn't have time to?
And yes, it is all in the details.

...taps...

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I just don't think they should "fake it" for public consumption. There's nothing wrong with disagreement. My husband and I disagree on some things and I'm airing it right here!

Being comfortable with some disagreement shows MUCH more strength than to having to verify ahead of time how they feel so they have the "appearance" of 100% unification on ALL opinions. That's fake. Nobody agrees 100% on everything.

Disagreement doesn't have to equate to "squabbling". This is a problem in today's society (that shows up here on the board). If we disagree, there's a problem. Well, I think acceptance of disagreement shows strength of character.

I agree that the finger pointing, clarification and scolding are lame. They should have just said that they disagree.

top topics

join