It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What a trillion dollars looks like

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 07:01 AM
link   
We have all been hearing about the 700 billion dollar bail out and how it could be over a trillion after the FED is done with it. When that is piled on to the already insanely large national debt it just becomes numbers that people can't even really comprehend. A million, a billion, a trillion.... that is about as far as most people think of it.

So I started fishing around for some illustrations that show just how much it is.

www.ronpaulforums.com...

If you had gone into business on the day Jesus was born, and your business lost a million dollars a day, day in and day out, 365 days a year, it would have taken you until October 2737 to lose just ONE trillion dollars.

buelahman.wordpress.com...

If you laid one dollar bills end to end, you could make a chain that stretches from earth to the moon and back again 200 times before you ran out of dollar bills! One trillion dollars would stretch nearly from the earth to the sun. It would take a military jet flying at the speed of sound, reeling out a roll of dollar bills behind it, 14 years before it reeled out one trillion dollar bills.

100777.com...

As it turns out... a trillion is a lot of money. So when they tack on a billion here or throw out 50 billion there... what's the big deal? It is just a drop in the bucket when you look at the absolute insanity of our national debt and the scope of this bail out.

Just food for thought...

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 07:14 AM
link   
The fed seems to be getting away with a heinous amount of money printing, without devaluing the dollar too much (all thanks to that hegemony).

Surely they should stop worrying about costs at this stage and just go for it full out, spending as much as they want on space exploration, medical science etc. i.e go for broke!

I hate fiat currency, but since theyre using it anyway they might as well derive the benefits.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Wow, excellent thread.

Thats very scary.

Starred and Flagged

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

I agree. Imagine what could be done with the money if they were to spend it in a beneficial manner.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I've always wondered this....how many zeros are in a trillion?

Is it 1,000,000,000,000?

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Wow, those stacks are huge!!

Makes you sick and how much money they throw around here and there and how much good could be done with said money.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Yes, it is a number (ie:1) followed by 12 zeros.

Just image if we spent half that amount on the Third World. There would still be change to fix the Second World people as well.

Oh but what am I saying!! There would be no one left to wash the cars, serve the tables, and iron the cloths of the First World people.

Sheeesh...shame on me. The First World needs the Third World to make the First World the First World. Make sense? No, nor does greed...

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Remember, government debt is a hidden tax on wealth. It is the equivalent of printing money.

So how is that inflation looking?

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Starred and flagged KH.

There seems to be a minor technical detail that most folks leave out of this discussion. It is Part 6 of Paulson's proposed "bailout"

Sec. 6. Maximum Amount of Authorized Purchases. The Secretary’s authority to purchase mortgage-related assets under this Act shall be limited to $700,000,000,000 outstanding at any one time

That last bit, "AT ANY ONE TIME".

Think about it. What the esteemed secretary is proposing is a MONEY LAUNDERING SCHEME for his cronies on Wall ST. .

One trillion indeed. By the time these clowns are done with Fanny, Freddie, and whatever other debt they deem necessary to absolve, we will be up the pike for north of $7 Trillion.

Don't take my word for it. Read it yourself.

NY Times, Bailout text

I strongly urge everyone to clog the phone system in DC for the next few days. I've been calling all morning. Let our employees know that they will be out of a job come November if they vote for this garbage.

You can find Senators here
Senator directory

And Representatives here.
Congressional directory

Please, please, please. lets stop talking about this mess and DO something about it.

G

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Unbelievable. Thanks for graphic and explanation. I think.

I'm going to go hurl now.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Really make you stop and put some perspective on these numbers that are being thrown around. That 21 billion they lost in Iraq would not have been easy to loose, not like it fits in a few suitcases, more like 18 wheelers. And the grand daddy of all time, D. Rumsfeld telling congress they can't account for 2.5 trillion, we lost it. I bet all those military contractors are good at finding it. Oh well, what is a few trillion among friends.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Flagged and starred.

Shocking to think the USA's debt is 9.5 Trillion, imagine the good if that 700 billion could do if given to communities instead of the banks, the people deserve it more.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by WatchNLearn

I disagree there.

Giving money to the third world is about as effective as flushing it down a toilet. Corruption and lack of education mean that funds cannot be utilized effectively at the moment.

I think the best use for the money would be putting it towards cutting edge scientific research. You could spend money on grain for an african kid and keep him fed for one day, or you could use that money on high yield variety, drought resistant, GM crops etc... things that could keep Africa fed for years to come.

+ money on AIDS research. The rate of AIDS has hit 45% in Malawi, Swaziland etc. What good is food for these people when they are going to die anyway?

Basically there is a hell of a lot more they could spend money on. I would even be happy with a $700bn spend on space travel, anti-gravity, transport technology etc. Anything to cultivate progress and discovery as opposed to wasting money to maintain our current situation.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Wanna know what a trillion dollar bill looks like?

HOLY COW AND CAN YOU IMAGINE IF THERE WAS JUST 1 of them? Omg and then put it next to a human? I bet it would be so huge! Cept not... and that showing a stack of a trillion $1 bills isn't very effective.

Why don't you stack up a trillion dollars in pennies, I bet you could make a Sears Tower from it.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer

Giving money to the third world is about as effective as flushing it down a toilet.

Right... and the "bailout" deal is SO effective, right?

Originally posted by 44soulslayer

Corruption and lack of education mean that funds cannot be utilized effectively at the moment.

Yeah right... like corruption and lack of education were nonexistent in the US, or UK.

This is the most ignorant post on this thread.

Wake up brother... wake up before you get killed in your sleep.

Peace

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
In the "America has jumped the shark" thread azureskys posted the following very informative material:

Originally posted by azureskys
This was passed on to me in 2007

Subject: Interesting....

This is too true to be very funny

The next time you hear a politician use the
word 'billion' in a casual manner, think about
whether you want the 'politicians' spending
YOUR tax money.
A billion is a difficult number to comprehend,
but one advertising agency did a good job of
putting that figure into some perspective in
one of its releases.

A. A billion seconds ago it was 1959.

B. A billion minutes ago Jesus was alive.

C. A billion hours ago our ancestors were
living in the Stone Age.

D. A billion days ago no-one walked on the earth on two feet.

E. A billion dollars ago was only 8 hours and
20 minutes, at the rate our government is spending it.

The next time you hear someone use the words "fiscal" "conservative (or responsibility)" and "America" in the same sentence, punch them in the face.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Wow!!!
Terrific and poignant visual.
Thanks so much for posting it.
I am sending it to my office to use in presentations.
Cheers!
(BTW GD Scary!)

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
My GOD!
that is an insane amount of cash. The part about "if you were born at the time of Jesus and lost 1 million dollars a day" completely put the amount in total perspective for me. There cant be that much money in the bank somewhere...could there?...or are they simply going to print it off.

[edit on 9/23/2008 by CaptGizmo]

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Wow, Karl, ............. structural money... I wonder what sort of binder would be the best to tie it all together.... I'm guessing either an epoxy, or perhaps gunnite. Can't have people getting crushed by money towers, that would be bad form. No, WAIT! I have it!!! Adobe!!! Yah, that's the ticket; the paper will become soft and part of the matrix of clay.

Yes, I'm very visually oriented.
Thanks for the thread

cheers

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
nice thread did some looking around and found a guy who actually did the math and came up with examples of what a trillion dollars could get the U.S. here's one

Does anyone have any conception of what a "trillion" dollars looks like? The last time I looked, it cost about $4.5 billion to buy a modern aircraft carrier (warship) and another $5 billion to buy its aircraft. So call it $10 billion per carrier. We have about ten carriers, counting two conventional carriers in place of the one nuclear carrier which is typically refueling, in refit, etc. and thus unavailable. A trillion dollars is ONE HUNDRED AIRCRAFT CARRIERS, or TEN TIMES the US Navy's present carrier fleet. This is enough military power to operate at sea over 7,000 combat aircraft, able to handily devastate any armed power on the planet except maybe Russia or China (and even then, give them hives and fits).

there's other intriguing examples for you to think about on the site...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join