It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS: Sign here if you are an enemy combatant

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 05:23 AM
link   
This is something that I have been thinking about. It's all hypothetical, and is not a criticism about ATS, but certainly not beyond possibility.

With all the conspiracy about Martial law being declared in the event of a national emergency such as a terrorist attack and/or economic collapse, does it not occur to that your very presence here on ATS has effectively sold your information to those who wish to know who could potentially be a "problem" or an "unlawful combatant"?

If you stop and think about Above Top Secret, this would be the perfect collection point of every conspiracy theorist that has enough drive to get themselves signed up and speak about their anger or mistrust of the government. In World War 2, the French resistance caused a lot of damage fighting against the Nazi occupation and also helping the Allies. I'm sure the Nazis would have done anything to get hold of the names and addresses of all potential resistance fighters in France, except they were not fortunate enough to have the internet.

What I'm getting at is, by signing up to ATS, we have probably flagged ourselves as POTENTIAL resistance fighters BEFORE a War/National Emergency has even started. We have willingly registered ourselves as "enemy combatants", giving our names and addresses over unconsciously via our IP addresses.

Suppose Above Top Secret really is a collection point for "what we know" (its ridiculous I know) and even if thats utterly wrong, it couldn't be used/hyjacked for that purpose whether the staff object to it or not? Not just that, but a database of IP addresses and member details for an intelligence agency?

The ATS staff are not above the law, and would be forced to hand over our IP addresses. You, me and everyone on ATS would be "flagged" and would be the first to go, before anyone else, leaving only the ignorant and the unwilling.

So, IF all the consipiracies are true and the Government is really run by mad men - don't you think we've all scored an own goal here?

As I said, this is purely hypothetical and is not an attack against ATS.

edit: Spelling/Punctuation

edit: For clarity

[edit on 23-9-2008 by dodgygeeza]

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 05:30 AM
link   
My IP is bounced so I am good
but others may not be that lucky. This is a valid point but I doubt would be too much of a concern. I am sure that if it came to it the powers that be here would be able to 'Lose' the IPs etc.

[edit on 23-9-2008 by StarTraveller]

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by dodgygeeza

I think things would have to get really bad before they start pulling ip addresses of ATS members for a round up. I think there is probably a long list of more important people that they will be going after in the event of martial law.

While we may be vocal on this forum about how evil the government is, we are still all talk and no action. If it does come down to this, things will be so bad that the odds are we would be rounded up anyways.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by StarTraveller

Good point but I'm thinking a deal could be created for the protection/immunity of staff in exchange for member details.

reply to post by Karlhungis

Yeah, the truck would be outside our door before we knew there was anything wrong

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 05:37 AM
link   
"they would be able to lose the ips, etc" hahahahahah good thinking...

ya they are watching everyone here, this is like starting a huddle discussion in the middle of time sqaure and inviting anyone to join, about the most controversial topics on the planet, im sure cia, kgb, etc prbly rank ats in the top 5 things to do while you're bored....

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Great post. This has been on my mind as well. The only reason I did not mention it is because if the idea was not there, I did not want to create a "Self-fulfilling prophecy". But to be real, it was only a matter of time before someone mentions it.

This is practically what we are doing on ATS, getting our picture taken:

Run like hell when they show up at your door, maybe you can be this lucky:

[edit on 23-9-2008 by '___'eed]

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by '___'eed

Yeah, maybe if this thread isn't closed we can then assume that maybe we are insanely paranoid

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 06:43 AM
link   
what will they do to Millions of us?

If it is that bad... it won't be a round up it will be war, bombs

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 07:06 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Originally posted by dodgygeeza
Suppose Above Top Secret really is a collection point for "what we know" (even if the staff are “not in on it”)? Not just that, but a database of IP addresses and member details for an intelligence agency?

I wonder, do you have any idea how insulting that insinuation is to the owners of the site who provide you with a free resource, and to the board moderation staff who are spread out across the world and volunteer their time, unpaid, to keep this place from degenerating into the comments section of Youtube.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by neformore

As I stated, this is not an attack (I'v just edited the OP to make that a bit clearer). Regardless of whether or not that is even a million miles off the truth, it COULD have the potential to be used as such, whether or not the staff agree to it or not.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 07:33 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I Love our government and will do whatever they tell me...

*chants* NWO NWO NWO NWO NWO NWO NWO

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I'd just like to have it written for the record that I will happily side with our Government and help round up the rest of you.

Long live our inter-dimensionable shadow satanic lizard illuminati Alien masters from the future.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shamanator
I'd just like to have it written for the record that I will happily side with our Government and help round up the rest of you.

Long live our inter-dimensionable shadow satanic lizard illuminati Alien masters from the future.

Thanks. I needed a laugh.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Some food for thought...

1) If things really do get so bad to the point where some nefarious powers-that-be are suddenly interested in the IP addresses of ATS members... then...

a) Those powers-that-be are going to be really, really busy given all the sites and blogs that are critical of those newly cracking down powers-that-be.

b) The backwards trace from IP-to-You is time consuming, and would be turned into a bureaucratic mess trying to trace millions of people.

c) Your IP on discussion boards and blogs critical of the powers-that-be will rank among the very least of your worries (really).

2) It's not going to be possible to pull the IPs of posters without going through me first, and if I see it coming... oops, where'd they all go? Damn, they where here a minute ago... must have wrote the query wrong to pull them, now they're all gone.

3) It appears as though the strategies of political divisiveness, terrorist around every corner, and financial ruin have resulted in an excellent environment in which control is firmly in place, while preserving enough of a perception of liberty that the populace is not rising up... so why make matters worse by giving the populace something to get upset about?

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Some food for thought...
It's not going to be possible to pull the IPs of posters without going through me first, and if I see it coming... oops, where'd they all go? Damn, they where here a minute ago... must have wrote the query wrong to pull them, now they're all gone.

Nice one Skeptic

Though I do agree that we would have more to worry about than our IP's. I am sure if it was that bad that there probably wouldn't be an internet anyways.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Thats good to hear SO

Thanks for clearing that up

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Some food for thought...

This looks like a good spread. Dig in!

1) If things really do get so bad to the point where some nefarious powers-that-be are suddenly interested in the IP addresses of ATS members... then...

a) Those powers-that-be are going to be really, really busy given all the sites and blogs that are critical of those newly cracking down powers-that-be.

I agree. There are a few "other" conspiracy sites where the asshats will keep them distracted from us calm, reasonable, only slightly paranoid web monkeys!

b) The backwards trace from IP-to-You is time consuming, and would be turned into a bureaucratic mess trying to trace millions of people.

I almost wish this pain in the ass on the PTB!

c) Your IP on discussion boards and blogs critical of the powers-that-be will rank among the very least of your worries (really).

I, personally, can think of many other issues they would have before my ATS membership even comes into play. Well said, SO!

2) It's not going to be possible to pull the IPs of posters without going through me first, and if I see it coming... oops, where'd they all go? Damn, they where here a minute ago... must have wrote the query wrong to pull them, now they're all gone.

THAT'S my kind of class. I would so do everything I could to break you outta Jail, man! You're good people!

3) It appears as though the strategies of political divisiveness, terrorist around every corner, and financial ruin have resulted in an excellent environment in which control is firmly in place, while preserving enough of a perception of liberty that the populace is not rising up... so why make matters worse by giving the populace something to get upset about?

Too funny.....and way too accurate.

Good post SO. Made me laugh, made me cry, made me twice as paranoid! I was reading the OP and subsequent replies and as I scrolled down, I was like "SO is going to have fun with this one", then BAM! There it is!
Right on.!

I myself, have a few issues I'd have to deal with first before my membership here even emerged. I have contacts in both the list of PTBs and in the subversive, "second-class society" that may be targeted (more?) when the poo hits the rotating blades.

Cuhail

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by dodgygeeza

I thought about this also. Which is way I never log on at home, and my e-mail I signed up with is in no way tied to me personally. I also bounce the IP address of the computer I use. Hopefully it wont come to the gov. breaking down our doors over this site, but I wouldn't put it past them. I guess if someone is really worried about being busted by the feds then they should watch what they say and do what they can to hide themselves. I like to tell people to remember that the internet isn't as anonymous as one would think.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   
With all due respect SO, it wouldn't go down that way, and never does. They'd find out way before hand where the physical servers are, and the server site would be raided at 4 am, no warning. They'd also probably raid your, Springer's and Simon's houses, among a few others simultaneously, and take you all into custody. And then if they knew they had the hardware, the last thing they'd do would be ask you to write the query. I'm sure the guys down at forensics would be happy and quite capable of writing any query they needed, even if they had to decipher through encryption, cause they'll eventually crack that too.

While that part of your response sounds comforting, and you'd be on our side, which I don't doubt, I am sorry but I think if they want us they'll get us. Just my .02

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Again... I think if such a scenario actually is happening, we'll all have much more to worry about than what we posted to ATS.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join