It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Artificial canal near possible Mars landing site?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I recently scanned through some images from the HiRISE (High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment) website
hirise.lpl.arizona.edu...

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I think i have placed this is the wrong section too - mods help?

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 12:36 AM
link   
SO NOT ONE PERSON thinks this is interesting??

Surely this isnt natural??

Come on people

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Sorry, but the only thing I find interesting about it is at the end where it spreads out a bit like the mouth of a river into a bigger body of water. Which kinda of shows evidence for large amounts of water on the surface once upon a time.

The feature you speak of itself is not all that interesting. Basic geometric shapes should be common in the universe and happen naturally from time to time. Look at the hexagon on Saturn for example. Before it becomes actually interesting as in life forms, you need a certain bit of complexity and functionality involved. For example, a snow flake is very geometric and produced naturally. But it has no real function as far as being used for something other than itself. The S shape doesn't really fit that bill.

I do btw lean toward there having been life on mars at one time, and possibly even intelligent life, and even more possibly advanced civilization. And it may still be there, I don't know. But I don't see anything that suggests that from the pictures.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Looks like an old glacier trail to me. The fact that the line is not even straight kind of confirms this. I love Mars anomalies and believe that there was something up there but not this.
Good find though.
Thanks

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by srsen

Try changing the viewing mode to visible or infrared. You'll see that the "canal" looks a lot more like a natural feature. The "diamond" shaped crater is round. The smudge disappears.

You still have the twin craters though.

[edit on 24-9-2008 by Phage]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   
oh well, so it seems i may have jumped the gun a little then - but who knows ay, who knows what the ravages of time may do to a once straight canal?

The "canal" still appears anomalous to my eye but i can totally see where you guys are coming from, and nature DOES produce some very interesting features at times i suppose.

Still, as Phage says, the twin craters remain mysterious.

And yes, regardless of the natural or unnatural, umm, nature, of the "canal" it does seem to be created through some kind of water process... Almost exactly as if taking water from an ocean on the left to a large lake at the end of the "canal". Interesting stuff.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Intresting to see if more such natural occuring canals exist on mars or other planets. A comparison usually helps. But so far this is a one off. But you could convince me this is man or alien made. Nice find.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by srsen
And yes, regardless of the natural or unnatural, umm, nature, of the "canal" it does seem to be created through some kind of water process... Almost exactly as if taking water from an ocean on the left to a large lake at the end of the "canal". Interesting stuff.

The elevation data shows that the terrain on the right (green) is higher than that on the left and that the trench slopes in that direction. If the trench was formed by water erosion it would have been draining the higher area.

[edit on 24-9-2008 by Phage]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by srsen
Several water-related features have been identified on Mars, there is no doubt that Mars was once partly covered in some liquid and that the liquid flowed freely in large quantities, the doubt is what liquid was that and if there is still some trapped beneath the superficial layers or not.

As they used to say, stay tunned.

top topics

join