It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N.J. Gets Seaport Radiation Detectors

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   
"Jersey City has become the nation's first seaport to use new radiation detectors that scan all incoming cargo for nuclear or radiological weapons, federal officials said Monday.

Similar devices are planned for 90 percent of the country's seaports by the end of summer, said U.S. Customs and Border Protection Commissioner Robert C. Bonner.

"The best way to prevent a terrorist attack is by preventing terrorists or terrorist weapons from entering our country in the first instance," Bonner said at the Global Marine Terminal in Jersey City."

story.news.yahoo.com.../ap/20040322/ap_on_sc/seaport_radiation_detectors

My question is how are they going to tell the difference from the radiation of nuclear weapons and the Jersey water itself. I mean, have you ever been to the Jersey Shore!?!

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   
for some odd reason, I thought that all the seaports were using radiation detectors already?

wasn't there an incident involving a container and high radiation levels already at the Jersey seaport?

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
wasn't there an incident involving a container and high radiation levels already at the Jersey seaport?

Hummmm...refering to this or something more recent?

Navy SEALs & DOE To Test Container Ship Near NJ For Radiation
"Federal inspectors were to conduct tests Thursday (12sep02) on a container ship where radiation emissions were detected earlier this week during a dockside inspection.

Sandra Carroll, a spokeswoman for the Newark office of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, said investigators from the U.S. Department of Energy were to conduct testing either on or near the M/V Palermo Senator, a 708-foot container ship owned by a German subsidiary of South Korea-based Hanjin shipping and sailing under Liberian registry.

The ship, which had stopped in Singapore, Malaysia and Egypt, among other destinations, before docking Tuesday in Port Newark, was ordered back to sea and is being held in an exclusion zone six miles from shore until authorities can determine what is in its cargo holds and whether the radiation readings came from material onboard or from the ship itself.

Authorities wouldn't say what the readings were, or whether they were at levels considered dangerous."

www.mindfully.org...

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 04:37 PM
link   
yeah that's the one jonna, I would have thought they had the radiation detectors since then.

new topics

top topics

join