It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

question about medal's in vietnam.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   
i know my father was in Vietnam around 68 69
every once in awhile he mention Vietnam like when Forrest gump is on.

but never say's why he got these medal's.
2 purple heart's seems like i remember one has something on the purple heart..might be wrong
1 bronze star
and one is bronze star with a oak leaf cluster he says it is..i got no idea.

they are are in the box's they came in when he got them i rekon.
seem's like there is another one..i would have to look.

he was in some thing called tropical lighting 47 infantry or Calvary.

but he will never tell me what the medals are for....ive asked him a hundred time's.

can you give me a idea what each medal is for that i stated.
thanks in advanced.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by beforetime

Military Medals

Hi.....

Well.... Purple Hearts, which I only have one, are for being wounded in battle in a war zone. Having two means that he had been wounded in battle on two separate occasions. The Bronze Star, which I am not that familiar with, I believe is for bravery. The Oak Leaf cluster indicates either a separate distinct event or different campaign. I am only familiar with Air Force so the other branches may have a bit different criteria (excluding Purple Heart of course).

I gave you a shortcut at the top where you can find information on specific military medals.

Hope this helps....

Dave

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Thanks giving it a look see now.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Tropical Lightning is a nickname for the 25th Infantry Division. Here's a wikipedia article on them. You can take it from there.

en.wikipedia.org...(United_States)

The Bronze Star is given for Heroism, Meritorious Service, or act of merit. Again, here's the wiki article:

en.wikipedia.org...

With an oakleaf, it's a second award (Army does the same as AF). That's why one of his medal's has the oakleaf and the other doesn't.

And as Dave said, Purple Hearts are given for combat wounds or death. Your dad was wounded twice.

Originally posted by beforetime
he was in some thing called tropical lighting 47 infantry or Calvary.

And it's "cavalry". "Calvary" is also known as Golgotha, the hill where Christ was crucified. Don't worry, a lot of people make that mistake.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by beforetime

25th Infantry Division is called the Tropic Lightning, Headquarters is In Hawaii...

new topics

top topics

join