It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should all saints be saints?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2003 @ 02:10 AM
link   
I've heard before the real story of how the Library of Alexandria was burned, but I never heard before that the enactor of the mob, Archbishop Cyril or whatever, was made a Saint.

How is it this man, whom incited people to murder, and destroy, and bring about the second Dark Age, which would last for 1200 years, and set humanity back almost 1500 years, become a Saint?

I think whatever tomb this guy may have, should be put on the moon with "I'm going to hell" written on it....if that wouldn't be Ironic to that bastard who made it his goal in life to "rid the roman empire of pagans".

Sincerely,
no signature

[Edited on 13-1-2003 by FreeMason]

posted on Jan, 16 2003 @ 10:44 PM
link   
every contury....every religion has its saints.......but how can you say....a saint should be a saint???......a man is considered sant by people these days....and in the past...the saim.....every man who follows god�s wish and god�s way is a saint in the life that he�s having in the moment but in the next life...his human part does a lot of damage tto the law.....god�s law....and than may he be considered a saint????...yes....because once he was there in the light....his soul cannot forget that and as the time passes...the man will change...and follow the truth.....embrace the future.....fly

posted on Jan, 17 2003 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Whats the difference between a polytheistic religion and christianity with saints who have different aspects and personalities?

XAOS

posted on Jan, 18 2003 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Do not judge a man whom you know nothing about.

what is a saint?

it is a human soul on earth whom has entered into perfection of the law on earth and
has bore witnesses and miracles of christ himself.

the catholic church does not canonize everybody, you must have had three legit miracles
happen to you in your time of the lord. Christ proves the saints by super natural miracles and curings.

many saints had different abilities and bore many different miracles.

they become perfect on earth and become saints which all are called to be. these saints gave up the world and the lust of the world
to be perfected by god, they bore miracles, they where holy on earth.

padre pio cured the sick, he had the stigmata for many decades. he was one of our recent saints
of this time and was just canonized.

of course people can mock all they want but lack the smallest understanding of who these people were and how holy they really were.

christ has made himself known to his people through the 2000 years of miracles and they bore witness to him and
they are in his kingdom, a kingdom in which we cannot understand nor grasp because we do not strive towards perfection, we mock
laugh hate good ect....

but he know the fithfull who will see the miracles and believe and they will be called to his church and the only truth and they will
be his children.

he has made himself known to the world and very few who (want) to believe.

peace.

posted on Jan, 18 2003 @ 11:20 AM
link   
but is catholocism monotheistic or what? the saints have much in common with lesser and demi gods of pagan pantheons.

I will now compare the greek pantheon with the pantheon of saints:

Saints often have shrines and churches devoted to them in their home villages.

Greek gods had their own temples in their towns of patronage.

Artisians, workers and other laborers utter prayers to their patron saints to gain luck and skill in their jobs.

Greeks would do the same for their Patron gods.

Would you like more examples?

XAOS

posted on Jan, 19 2003 @ 12:37 PM
link   
you got it all wrong.

Our church in no way teaches the worshipping of mary or the saints, those who do are excommunicated
at once..

the shrines devoted to saints are a (memorial) for them and the miracles they bore.

people go and honor those whom god has perfected on earth.

They do not worship the saints, those who do are totally anti catholic.

every saint has proclaimed the christ as god, they all bore witness to him. not one saint claimed to be god or a god.

They do not pray ((to)) the saints for (luck). this goes against every teaching of the church.

Luck is condemned a thousand times by the church and it is supersticious and of pagans roots.

those who believe in (luck) are not catholic.

heres the difference in praying to saints and gods.

pagans pray to their gods for their own reasons and worship what they are praying to as god.

indeed our church approves praying to the saints but only in asking them to pray for us and other souls.

just like i ask someone on earth to pray for me, same exact thing.

we do not pray to the saints as if they were god, but pray to them t pray for us and this is only what we do.

Those who do other wise are condemned and are not living by church teaching.

Any strait headed catholic knows not to worship a human saint.

this is what the church teaches.

peace.

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   
A saint is ANYONE who has aceepted Jesus Christ and Him alone for salvation. If someone is given the title of saint by man it could be true but it could also be false. You don't have to be dead to be a saint.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Should all saints be saints?

Religions work like politics. So, should all saints have been sainted? Probably not.

Voltaire once said: "History is the lie commonly agreed upon." The church can say whatever they want regarding "saints" to make them saints and make the people believe it. Just like our forefathers making us believe all kinds of things about people that are false. For example, Christopher Columbus. We celebrate Christopher Columbus Day every year because he is the wonderful man who discovered America....but, he was actually one of the worst leaders of the genocide against the Native Americans here.....

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   
There are many saints and prophets who many are now thinking may have had temporal lobe seizures, which produce religeous feelings and divine visions... and lots of people are saying that it's probable that the prophet John suffered from these seizures...

Now while some think that it's great and all that people are trying to discredit what the bible says and what people believe... I have some excellent problems with their agrument... Who cares if "it never happened" or if it was a seizure the point is whatever most people were seeing or talking about actually had some credibility, the point is IT MADE SENSE... Now some research that was done at Trent University (I believe) found that by using electrical/magnetic fields they could create the same sensations and visions, my question is.. maybe that's what the arc of the covenant could have been, a way of inducing profound visions and knowledge that we associated with a higher power.
Has anyone out there stumbled upon the same research as I have?
I'm also wondering if this is a means of extracting knowledge of things we don't know.

new topics

top topics

join