It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something Wicked Dwells Within.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
The New International Bible translation project began in the 1960's.Zondervan Christian publishers released the New Testament in 1973 and the full Bible in 1978.It is now one of the most used bible's in the world.(the Today's New International Version was released in 2005,but apart from the gender inclusive language,the translation has changed little.)

Yet it is bursting to the brim with errors.

Even though the men behind the idea boast the use of original material in the use of translating,the method of translating has allowed these errors.

Before the appearence of the N.I.V.bibles used the formal equivalence translation method;attempts to render the text word-for-word.Later translations use the dynamic equivalence method;attempts to convey the thought expressed in a source text.The danger of this is that quite often the meaning is lost or manipulated as translators try and get across the thoughts of experiances and events from centuries ago.Many modern bible versions use the dynamic equivalence method including the New Kings James Version.

My focus here is the New Testament.There is an estimated 300 changes within it.Only a handful of these changes have little impact as,even though the words have changed,the meaning remains.Howerever,a larger amount are the exact opposite.

My attempt here is to show how these newer versions manipulate our understanding of the bible.Below is a small list of verses taken from NIV and compared with the KJV.They are taken from the 4 Gospels as for many people these are the most important books....

Matthew 1:25
KJV.And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son:and he called his name JESUS.
NIV.But he had no union with her until she gave birth to a son. And he gave him the name Jesus.

Implication of Mary having other children and sons after Jesus is lost.

Matthew 5:22
KJV.But I say unto you,That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment:and whosoever shall say to his brother,Raca,shall be in danger of the council:but whosoever shall say,Thou fool,shall be in danger of hell fire.
NIV.But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment.Again,anyone who says to a brother or sister,'Raca,is answerable to the Sanhedrin.And anyone who says,'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell.

Just cause has been removed.

Matthew 6:13
KJV.And lead us not into temptation,but deliver us from evil:For thine is the kingdom,and the power,and the glory,for ever.Amen.
NIV.And lead us not into temptation,but deliver us from the evil one.

Change of Jesus' teaching.

Matthew 18:11
KJV.For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost.
NIV.removed.

An important mission statement that has been removed altogether!

Matthew 19:17
KJV.And he said unto him,Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one,that is,God: but if thou wilt enter into life,keep the commandments.
NIV."Why do you ask me about what is good?" Jesus replied. "There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life,keep the commandments."

The teaching that no one,even Jesus,is good in the same manner as God is lost.

Matthew 20:16
KJV.So the last shall be first,and the first last:for many be called,but few chosen.
NIV."So the last will be first,and the first will be last."

Important teaching lost.

Matthew 20:22
KJV.But Jesus answered and said,Ye know not what ye ask.Are ye able to drink of the cup that I shall drink of,and to be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with? They say unto him,We are able.
NIV."You don't know what you are asking," Jesus said to them. "Can you drink the cup I am going to drink?" "We can," they answered.

Teaching of us to have the ability to be like Jesus is lost.

Mark 1:14
KJV.Now after that John was put in prison,Jesus came into Galilee,preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God.
NIV.After John was put in prison Jesus went into Galilee,proclaiming the good news of God.

Gospel is a doctrine,something that is true.News usually means the report of a recent event and can lack importence.

Mark 6:11
KJV.And whosoever shall not receive you nor hear you,when ye depart thence,shake off the dust under your feet for a testimony against them.Verily I say unto you,It shall be more tolerable for Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment,than for that city.
NIV.And if any place will not welcome you or listen to you,shake the dust off your feet when you leave,as a testimony against them."

The teaching that a city which turns away a follower of Jesus will suffer a fate worse than S&G is lost.

Mark 10:21
KJV.Then Jesus beholding him loved him,and said unto him,One thing thou lackest:go thy way,sell whatsoever thou hast,and give to the poor,and thou shalt have treasure in heaven:and come,take up the cross,and follow me.
NIV.Jesus looked at him and loved him."One thing you lack," he said. "Go, sell everything you have and give to the poorand you will have treasure in heaven.Then come,follow me."

Jesus taught that we all have a cross to bear.Not in NIV.

Mark 10:24
KJV.And the disciples were astonished at his words.But Jesus answereth again,and saith unto them,Children,how hard is it for them that trust in riches to enter into the kingdom of God!
NIV.The disciples were amazed at his words.But Jesus said again, "Children, how hard it is to enter the kingdom of God!

Manipulation of Jesus' teachings.

Mark 11:25-26
KJV.And when ye stand praying,forgive if ye have ought against any:that your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.26 But if ye do not forgive,neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses.
NIV.And when you stand praying,if you hold anything against anyone,forgive them,so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins."

Manipulation of important teaching from Jesus.

Mark 15:28
KJV.And the scripture was fulfilled,which saith,And he was numbered with the transgressors.
NIV.removed.

Speaks for itself.

Luke 2:14
KJV.Glory to God in the highest,and on earth peace,good will toward men.
NIV."Glory to God in the highest heaven,and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests."

Good will is available for all,the good and the bad.Not in NIV.

Luke 2:33 (see 2:43)
KJV.And Joseph and his mother marvelled at those things which were spoken of him.
NIV.The child's father and mother marveled at what was said about him.

Father?

Luke 4:4
KJV.And Jesus answered him,saying,It is written,That man shall not live by bread alone,but by every word of God.
NIV.Jesus answered, "It is written: 'People do not live on bread alone.'

Important teaching of Jesus lost.

Luke 6:48
KJV.He is like a man which built an house,and digged deep,and laid the foundation on a rock:and when the flood arose,the stream beat vehemently upon that house,and could not shake it:for it was founded upon a rock.
NIV.They are like a man building a house,who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock.When a flood came,the torrent struck that house but could not shake it,because it was well built.

Jesus is the Rock.(see 1st Corinthians 10-4)

Luke 9:54-56
KJV.And when his disciples James and John saw this,they said,Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven,and consume them,even as Elias did? 55 But he turned,and rebuked them,and said,Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of.56 For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives,but to save them.And they went to another village.
NIV.When the disciples James and John saw this,they asked, "Lord, do you want us to call fire down from heaven to destroy them?" 55 But Jesus turned and rebuked them. 56 Then he and his disciples went to another village.

One of the reasons for Jesus' mission has been removed.

Luke 11:2
KJV.And he said unto them,When ye pray,say,Our Father which art in heaven,Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come.Thy will be done,as in heaven,so in earth.
NIV.He said to them, "When you pray,say:" 'Father,hallowed be your name,your kingdom come.

Changing of message on the will of God.

Luke 17:34
KJV.I tell you,in that night there shall be two men in one bed;the one shall be taken,and the other shall be left.
NIV.I tell you,on that night two people will be in one bed;one will be taken and the other left.

Speaks for itself.lol.

John 6:47
KJV.Verily,verily,I say unto you,He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.
NIV.Very truly I tell you,whoever believes has eternal life.

Belief in Jesus gives everlasting life,not just belief.

John 9:4
KJV.I must work the works of him that sent me,while it is day:the night cometh,when no man can work.
NIV.As long as it is day,we must do the works of him who sent me.Night is coming,when no one can work.

Jesus' work,not his and his disciples.

John 14:2
KJV.In my Father's house are many mansions:if it were not so,I would have told you.I go to prepare a place for you.
NIV.My Father's house has plenty of room;if that were not so,would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you?

Mansions imply plural heavens,rooms imply one heaven only....

(should also be noted,the newer versions have removed the words Lord and Christ when in reference to Jesus,along with the word begotten.)

So,as we can see from just these few verses,messages and teachings are lost and some have been removed altogether.

Though you may not agree with my interpretations i'm sure you'll agree that these modern translations are a cause for concern.

How can the world be under one faith if people knowingly change the Bible?
And why do people who are aware of this support it?

Millions are be lead astray,the bible tells us this will happen but,as we live in an age of enlightenment where the truth is available for all,i would like to know why those who use the NIV and other modern translations believe that it is the true Word of God when its clear that it isn't!

[edit on 22-9-2008 by jakyll]

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Thanks for the info!
That's why I stick to the King James and it's not fully translated, so I use the Strong's concordance.
If you know much about the NIV translators, you know that one was Virginia Mollencott.
A self-proclaimed lesbian.
Jesus is Lord!

THE AUTHORIZED KING JAMES VERSION
Deuteronomy 23:17- There shall be no whore of the daughters of Israel, nor a sodomite of the sons of Israel.
THE NIV
Deuteronomy 23:17- No Israelite man or woman is to become a shrine prostitute.

Zondervan also publishes the satanic Bible.

[edit on 22-9-2008 by Clearskies]

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Your welcome and,uhm...i'm a lesbian too,so you can carry on talking with me or flee into the hills,whichever you are more comfortable with.

Yeah,i've heard that before.But my copy is published by Avon Books.(an imprint of HarperCollins publishers.) A friend bought it for me,if you're wondering why i have it.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   
The King James version is suspect to me..Ill stick to the aramaic translation of the bible

The first edition of the King James Bible, which was edited by Francis Bacon and prepared under Masonic supervision, bears more Mason's marks than the Cathedral of Strasburg.-Manly P. Hall, from a lecture Rosicrucian and Masonic Origins 1929

link

[edit on 9/22/2008 by iiinvision]

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

No, that's false, Zonndervan's parent company, HarperCollins publishes the satanic bible.

But, that's just as troubling.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by iiinvision
The King James version is suspect to me..Ill stick to the aramaic translation of the bible

The first edition of the King James Bible, which was edited by Francis Bacon and prepared under Masonic supervision, bears more Mason's marks than the Cathedral of Strasburg.-Manly P. Hall, from a lecture Rosicrucian and Masonic Origins 1929

Nice link.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

No, that's false, Zonndervan's parent company, HarperCollins publishes the satanic bible.

Well, that's what I get for not looking it up! SORRY!

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   

I find that version to be a lot similar to the KJV than the NIV.

Even though (if) Bacon was an editor it must be remembered that a large part of the English translation came from William Tyndale who used the original translations or Jewish copies of the original translations.What he didn't translate was taken from the Latin Vulgate after his death.

Little actually changed from his NT to the KJV NT.
www.studylight.org...

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
You are totally wrong. Your edition of the NIV must be wrong. For starters, get yourself a good lexicon, and if you used BibleGateway.com, ALWAYS READ THE FOOTNOTES, which are denoted by superscript letters you can click on.

For second, you really are using loose constructivism/trying to see pnumberas. There's nothing in that verse that states Mary had multiple children.

Example: Matthew 18:11 in my relatively new NIV is there with brackets and a footnote saying that early manuscripts don't contain it. Therefore, it's validity is up in the air. See footnote "a" here: www.biblegateway.com...-NIV-23737a (The same thing goes with Matthew 6:13)

You are being way too legalistic in your views of using the word news instead of gospel, among other things. Furthermore, did you ever think that perhaps the translators of the Bible for the KJV took liberties? It's also true that they had way fewer manuscripts to go by. No original manuscripts exist, but when the thousands are put together and distilled, the original works for the most part shine through. Mark 11:25-26 is there and footnote, saying manuscripts don't contain it. The early manuscripts are more likely to be accurate to the originals, for your information.

Anyway, I was just pointing out that your legalism coupled with your ignorance and obvious overlooking of various footnotes,lexicons, and other important factors have left you with an off kilter view. Please go and study on these things, and then come back and then post what you think after having been more enlightened to the truth.

(Edited to fix ugly formatting)

[edit on 22-9-2008 by joesomebody]

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
so which version should i be reading.. i have a KJV now.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   
KJV coupled with NIV or any other "modern" translation (NOT the same as a transliteration like the NAS), coupled with a lexicon is the best way to go to get the full meaning...unless you feel like learning ancient languages.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   

You are totally wrong. Your edition of the NIV must be wrong. For starters, get yourself a good lexicon, and if you used BibleGateway.com, ALWAYS READ THE FOOTNOTES, which are denoted by superscript letters you can click on.

I used the NIV official web site.
www.ibs.org...

For second, you really are using loose constructivism/trying to see pnumberas. There's nothing in that verse that states Mary had multiple children.

Firstborn means first in the order of birth;eldest.It would not be used in the case of an only child.

And i did say you may not agree with my interpretations.

Example: Matthew 18:11 in my relatively new NIV is there with brackets and a footnote saying that early manuscripts don't contain it. Therefore, it's validity is up in the air.

This line appears in Tyndale's bible.See link in post above.

[edit on 22-9-2008 by jakyll]

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Oh yikes. A KJV vs. NIV debate. I typically stay FAR away from this debate. It is one of the major debate topics that causes so much hostility between fellow Christians.

I looked into this matter for about a year off an on regarding the two versions before coming to a conclusion. To be totally honest, I'm scared to even state my opinion because I've never seen this go down civilly.

NOTE: This is the only post I am leaving on this thread. Say what you will- I am not going to argue or reply again. lol

I've got to say the NIV wins over the KJV in terms of translation. NOT that it isn't flawed in some aspects (because no translation is perfect due to language differences and idioms, advances in linguistic studies, etc.) but statistically the KJV makes more translation errors than the NIV and the KJV was shown to be flawed in some aspects too once older manuscripts were discovered. King James also authorized church doctrine to be added into the text that did not exist in the Greek manuscripts. Not in a malicious effort to change the Bible or to manipulate it, but for clarification purposes.

I am not bashing the KJV- it does get other things right that the NIV gets wrong. But, again, statistically the NIV is more accurate than the KJV. The best advice is, When in doubt, go to the Greek. In case of higher criticism, go to the Greek. To investigate controversy, go to the Greek.

That is ALL I have to say on the subject. I've heard a lot of stuff about the NIV and how it is a 'Satanic' translation or a Jesuit conspiracy. Everyone should do their own research and come to their own conclusion. This is a GOOD debate as long as it stays civil and we keep in mind we are all brothers and sisters in Christ but to be totally honest, I have never once seen a debate on this topic turn out pretty.

That's all. I wish everyone the best because BOTH translations offer the same message: Salvation is available through Christ and only through Christ. And that is the most important message that comes across very clear in all translations.

[edit on 9/22/2008 by AshleyD]

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
AshleyD: I totally agree with you.

I thought you were arguing Mary had children before Yeshua. She did have children afterward, probably...sorry about that one...

I'm not trying to be condemning towards your views, or you, I just am trying to get to the core of where you're going with this.

[edit on 22-9-2008 by joesomebody]

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I used to think that any bible translation would do, as it was just "modernizing" the language. NOT SO!!!!

ALL of the new translations, with the NIV being the worst of the lot, remove verses that talk about the blood of Jesus, and cause concern about his divinity.

Here are some links so you can make up your own mind.

www.av1611.org...

www.chick.com...

www.av1611.org...

www.av1611.org...

And for some historical perspective on King James jesus-is-lord.com...

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by joesomebody

Quick question- I said nothing about Mary. What are you referring to? Thanks.

Edit: NM. I see you weren't talking to me. Ok. Over and out!

[edit on 9/22/2008 by AshleyD]

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clearskies

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Well, that's what I get for not looking it up! SORRY!

No need to apologize.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by joesomebody

Lexicons corrupt the word of God, read Chapter 26 specifically:

"The Greek and Hebrew Lexicons and dictionaries are written by men,
'most of whom are unbelievers', writes Princeton and Yale scholar Edward
Hills. A few examples will suffice: 1) The New Brown-Driver-Briggs
Hebrew-English Lexicon's editor (Briggs) was defrocked by the 'liberal'
Presbyterian Church for his 'liberalism'. 2) Trench, author of the much
used: "Synonyms of the New Testament", was a member of Westcott's
esoteric clubs, as was Alford, whose Greek reference works are still
used. 3) J. Henry Thayer, author of the "New Thayer's Greek Lexicon",
was a Unitarian who vehemently denied the deity of Christ. (Thayer was
also the dominant member of the ASV committee!) His lexicon contains a
seldom noticed warning by the publisher in its introduction (p. vii). It
cautions readers to watch for adulterations in the work relating to the
deity of Christ and the Trinity. 4) The acclaimed A.T. Robertson's
"Greek Grammar" also sends up a red flag in its preface saying, 'The
text of Westcott and Hort is followed in all its essentials'. 5)
Conclusions drawn by Kurt and Barbara Aland of the "Nestles-Aland Greek
New Testament" elicit the response by Philip Comfort that "the Alands'
designations must be taken with caution". 6) James Strong, author of
"Strong's Concordance" was a member of the corrupt ASV Committee"
[S3P601].

Lexicons corrupt the word of God.

here

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jstykz31
so which version should i be reading.. i have a KJV now.

I suggest you read this essay and make your decision after.

Here:

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by joesomebody
KJV coupled with NIV or any other "modern" translation (NOT the same as a transliteration like the NAS), coupled with a lexicon is the best way to go to get the full meaning...unless you feel like learning ancient languages.

Joe, you should read this too:

Here:

You'll never look at modern translations the same way again, especially when you learn about Westcott and Hort.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join