It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I was attacked today. I am stunned.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by seejanerun
As to reporting it, I probably will but the Columbus Police aren't going to do anything about it. The other thing is this; As I said in my post I don't think he's crossed over to criminal yet and IF they put him in jail, even overnight, he's gonna come out a worse person that when he went in more likely than not.

Some one needs to inform him that what he did is criminal. I suspect in many places he might be charged with assault. 17 or 18 is adult for crimes in my state, maybe yours.

I do not believe letting him get away with this is a good thing. Your call though, your town to live in. What happens to the next woman?

[edit on 9/22/2008 by roadgravel]

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by seejanerun
The second block I started to see gang graffiti and got a little nervous. The third block I saw apartment complexes that I wouldn't let my dog live in and thought damn I feel sorry for people that have to live like this day in and day out. I didn't see anyone on the street though so I relaxed a little and got to the strip mall. I made my car payment and started home.My safest bet was the same street I had just walked down.

I sincerely believe that your body.. your radar was working for you. It didn't feel right the first time you went down the block. That should have been an indication to take a well traveled path on the return trip. ( i am in no way blaming you.. i hope it doesn't come across that way... i was mugged in NYC many moons ago .. and i saw it coming.. but thought NAH its broad daylight.. this guy wont dare try anything with all these ppl around. HMPH! )

I am thrilled to know that you are unharmed physically. I cannot imagine the shock you must be in. What a terrible thing to have to go through . Your quick wit was your saving grace. You handled yourself amazingly well under that kind of duress.

I imagine that derelict has quite a record of accosting ppl .I also agree that a call to your local precinct or a visit to the station is in order.

I hope that this teaches ALL OF US to listen to the inner voice inside. Thank you so much for sharing your story .. we can all learn from it.

Rest up.. feel better... and know that we are all here to support you!! (((hugs)))

Mod Note: How to Quote– Please Review This Link.

[edit on 23-9-2008 by Jbird]

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by seejanerun

And just to add one more thing. The best way out of a situtation like that is to humanize yourself. Make them identify with you somehow. I don't know how, but it seems that you were able to do this. I don't think it was necessarily what you said, but how you said it. The "thanks for spraying me" bit could have been it, but it could have gone the wrong way too if he thought it was exaggerated in any way. Mental chess, this sort of thing is.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I'm not stunned. I'm shocked and I would not put up with anyone whom was merely trying to be stunning.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Congratulations. You succeeded. You survived.

Be happy you did not pull a gun. In the first place, any time you pull a gun, expect there to be legal repercussions. In the second place, a gun is a long-range weapon. All it would have done is to incite more violence.

Instead, you took the hit, managed to not escalate the situation, and remained cool and calm until it was over. I can well understand you may be shaken up by this experience, but keep telling yourself you did the right thing.

Pepper spray would have been the best offense you could have used, but even it takes time to get out and aim. Your best defense would have been to avoid the area on the way back once you saw the run-down buildings. But when things happened, it was too late to do that.

Under the circumstances, you used the best weapon you had: your mind. Well done.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by anyone

I am not wrong YOU and I repeat YOU are responsible for your safety no one else. The police are there to clean up the mess afterward not to protect. IMHO a gun can be that TOOL that helps. With the proper training and the correct mindset (which can be taught) a gun could have stopped her attacker cold. The next time she may be so lucky as to just get knockdown. The next time it could be a real gun and she would be is dead instead of just wet. I'm not trying to scare Jane just inform her . I hope this attack awakens a sense of Power in Jane that she can protect her self. Best Wishes TGM

[edit on 22-9-2008 by TexasGunMan]

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
Be happy you did not pull a gun. In the first place, any time you pull a gun, expect there to be legal repercussions. In the second place, a gun is a long-range weapon. All it would have done is to incite more violence.

Are you insane?

OP, it is for stuff like this that people DO carry guns. You, being a woman walking alone would have MUCH greater leeway on when to pull a gun than a man would have.

Go find a reputable gun shop, were they teach self defense with firearms, learn how and when to pull your weapon, and how and when to shoot.

You may have survived, but now those guys know you are an easy target, a victim. You can be assured they will be remember you if you run into them again. What if they decide to do "other" things next time?

If you DO ever have to pull your gun, make sure it's not as a "deterrent". If you are in a situation where you HAVE TO pull a weapon, you MUST be prepared to shoot, and be prepared to kill. As for the legal repercussions, you were afraid for your life, correct? If so, that gave you the LEGAL AND MORAL RIGHT TO END THEIR LIFE.

It is indeed better to avoid violence, however, if you are confronted with it, it is better to use overwhelming force, and make sure any attackers CANNOT do anything but worry about their own survival. A double-tap to the chest usually ends all thoughts for the attacker but survival.

Edit to add: Yeah! What the guy right before me said!

[edit on 22-9-2008 by sir_chancealot]

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
TGM- It truly get what you are saying. I can tell you this; If someone broke into my home, they are dead if I can get to the gun. No qualms.
As for the police cleaning up the mess, I agree. I always taught my son that you don't call 911 unless there is a dead body in the middle of the living room floor. I didn't want to make him anti police so I would also joke and add unless you can successfully hide the body. He's not anti police and neither am I but it is unrealistic to believe that the police can protect you. I think I learned today that protection is something I need to look into more, I can't see a CCW permit. I would either pull the gun and shoot or I would end up saying something like Do you really want to play this game and do you fully understand the rules ? In that time I would get shot. My response would depend on how afraid I was in relationship to how angry I had become.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   

I would definetely call the police and have this little tyrant arrested. if you don't let him know he can't get away with that he will do it again to someone else and he will take it a step further, who knows maybe next time he will have something caustic in the gun, or worse yet...urine...

have some guts and report it, you will feel better that you weren't just a victim but you fought back.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
i don't understand how this topic ended up wanting to kill a 17 or 18 year old kid who had a super soaker. I think you would be a criminal to even point a gun at another person let alone enact shoot the weapon. Truthfully it doesn't make you a better person for even owning a weapon. You already are a better person for the way you did handle the situation. I would suggest getting the self defence classes if you are still feeling insecure about yourself.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Another reason to call the police ASAP besides the reasons already mentioned....

You have no way of knowing if he is a repeat "offender". Maybe he has a record and a history of this stuff. Maybe he has a warrant out for him for something horrible.

Just because you may think the police wont do anything, you really dont know if they will or not.

I certainly wouldnt want that thug to get off so easy and make someone else a victim. Maybe you just got off lucky today with this individual. Who knows.

Now he knows he got away with it. That is not a good thing.

If you dont want to carry a gun at least carry pepper spray.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by nahsik

17 or 18 year old kid who had a super soaker

Did you not see where he attacked her and held her down?
A little more then him squirting her with a super soaker happened. He assaulted her.

From the OP:

He body slams me into the ground and proceeds to spray me with this damn gun in the eyes. The pressure hurt badly. My response is "THAT HURTS,STOP IT" he doesn't. My mind said you have to get up NOW. I got up and said" It's hot today and I have been walking so the water feels good, thank you. Now stop it." He didn't.

[edit on 9/22/2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by sir_chancealot

Are you insane?

No, just a little warped.

But on the gun issue, are you really not aware that a gun is a long-range weapon? Even a pistol requires some time to aim it. In this situation, as described, she did not even have time to trip her opponent with her foot.

Please, if we are ever in combat, do not pull a gun. I will feed it to you through the new mouth I carve out in your neck.

20 feet away and stationary, yeah, a gun is the best weapon. 50 feet and approaching, sure. 100 feet and charging, yep, plug 'em. But much closer than that and all you're doing is angering the attacker.

As it turned out, she survived easily, simply by using her wits. Now, had she pulled a gun, she would have threatened her attacker. She would not have had time to get off a shot (unless it was while she was being body-slammed). The attacker would have probably been angered or at least scared, and now he has a real gun... would you have her sacrifice herself so you could brag about how great guns are?

Your will is your weapon; your gun is your tool.

Ahhhh, nevermind. One less guy I have to worry about should there ever be a conflict.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I would bet this guy is waiting to trade his water gun in for a real firearm. IMO, there is a criminal mind set being displayed by this person. It is most likely only going to become worse with another successful attack.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
First off I am glad that you are OK. You did the right thing by simply getting up, saying NO, and then walking away.

I have been in "bad" neighborhoods all over the globe. Don't take my comments the wrong way as I mean no disrespect. I simply wish to teach, but you were in the wrong neighborhood, and as the assailant stated, you did not belong there. You noticed the gang graffiti and were concerned. The second you were concerned... you did not belong. You stated that you were nervous, and that is what made you a target. It is all about attitude and personal confidence. He said that you did not belong. He saw it in you. Not because he didn't recognize you, but because you did not fit.

Life in many places can be rough. Cultures develop to deal with these struggles and if you cant walk the walk, then it is best to walk another path. In the Favellas of Rio de Janeiro they will sort you out in a matter of seconds and if you don't "belong" you will face deadly aggression within a few minutes. Even the military police will not enter there without significant force, yet it is a place full of wonderful people full of life's passions for those who dare to enter as friends. If you wish to survive in a rough neighborhood, and this thread is about survival, you must show confidence, that you belong, for the second anyone perceives weakness, then the predators will approach.

The thing to keep in mind, is that it was only a water gun. Yes, not much fun and a bit humiliating, but not life threatening. It was a kid playing mind games on an outsider. Shrug it off and take it as a life lesson learned. He wasn't very polite and neighborly, but he didn't escalate into anything more sinister. He was most likely playing squirt gun games with his friends when you showed up, and he was playing at being tough in front of his buddies. Kid stuff. You became a target of a game, because you were obviously different.

Pulling out a gun, as was suggested earlier, would of been the worst thing you could have done. That would have escalated the situation, and perhaps resulted in more serious consequences. When faced with minor aggression, it is far better to calm things down peacefully, than to ad fuel to the flame. Make a joke out of it. Be self depreciating while at the same time letting them know you are on the ball. "Gee, it must be raining" is far better than saying "Back off A hole" Humor soothes the savage beast just as well as music.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   
So let me get this straight? You LIVE (not just visiting) TWO miles from this bank and you didnt know the neighborhood in between your house and the bank? Ive lived in crappy areas full of illegals who are drugged out of their mind (true story not just my opinion) and i knew where not to walk and im 6'2 225!! Seriously youre very lucky that your "awakening" wasnt your final rest. I would think a female would be more aware of her surroundings at all times.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I think people need to get rid of this if i fight back it will be worse mentallity what if that guy wanted to kill you it may have been to late for you to put up a fight at that point ultimately your survival is up to you dont let the criminal decide wether you live or die

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
hey lady dont feel bad, my mom got her purse stolen once up the street from us, in los angeles, CA. and i live in one of the worst streets of the avenues gangs ...haha dont be afraid...fear is like a disease that spreads like a virus!! u should man up lady....take some classes or something....carry 3 guns like malcom x or something hah jk.....good luck too ya

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Sounds like the programming from stupid violent teevee shows is adding to society what it was meant to add, more chaos.

Clearly that was more than just inappropriate behavior. More like, non lethal gang territory issues, considering his comments.

I'll bet the cops know him very well.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Fathom

" or worse yet...urine... "

FWIW, urine is sterile!

I wouldn't want to be sprayed with it, but just saying.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join