It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I was attacked today. I am stunned.

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

You now describe her family as so poor they did not have a small room, or even a couch for her and her child to sleep on.

First of all, she should not have to rely on anyone else, as a full grown American adult. That's half the problem with this country today, everyone always thinks that people can always run home to Mommy and Daddy if they fall on hard times. For many of us out here in the real world, that is not an option.

In her own case, no, there was no family she could turn to. The house she grew up in was liquidated when her mother got sick.

And her case is not rare. I too was raised middle-class, upper middle class in fact, and now I live out of the trunk of my car and sneak into vacant motel rooms. My mother was forced to move back in with her mother, so no place for me there. One of my uncles just lost his house in this whole mortage mess and a divorce. The other uncle lost his business and moved his family of four into a one bedroom apartment. No room for me there either. My father hasn't been in the picture since he left us in my teens.

In addition the kid is now in a group home. I realize some drug addicts will have a bunch of brain damaged kids and sometimes their families get overwhelmed and cannot raise them ALL, but one normal child?

First of all, she was not a drug addict. Second of all, you seem to have missed the entire point, there was no family to help her let alone raise her child for her.

Where is the father or the father's family? She is such a nice normal girl, who sired her offspring?

The father wasn't in the picture by the time the daughter was two. He punched his wife, because she had middle-class expectations that he was unable to give her. He went to jail. They divorced, he went back to jail for failing to pay child-support. I don't know what happened to him after that, or what his family thought about the whole thing. I do remember though, that she regretted ever calling the police on her ex-husband in the first place, once reality set in.

There are no paternal grandparent or aunts and uncles that would help out their own blood in such a dire situation?

Apparently not. My father's side of the family is of no help to me, and I grew up knowing them.

That is not a common circumstance among "normal" and non-dysfunctional middle class families.

And how do you define "normal?" A family that has never suffered long-term illness, the tragedy of a sudden accident, a blissful family adrift in hunky-dory land?

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox
First of all, she should not have to rely on anyone else, as a full grown American adult. That's half the problem with this country today, everyone always thinks that people can always run home to Mommy and Daddy if they fall on hard times. For many of us out here in the real world, that is not an option.

Yeah apparently maybe that is part of the problem. I have a small family, a mother, 2 sisters and 3 nieces, however I am quite certain if ANY of us was facing homeless any of the others would be honor bound to take them in. I know what it is like to have very little money, to buy $20 worth of groceries at walmart and hope that lasts, hope your car doesn’t break down, and pray none of the animals needs emergency treatment because that is all the money you have until payday. And you can bet I would share it (and starve if necessary) with any of my family members if they were facing homelessness. And doubly so if they had small children that would end up in FOSTER care or on the street! That would be utterly shameful.

Originally posted by jackinthebox
And how do you define "normal?" A family that has never suffered long-term illness, the tragedy of a sudden accident, a blissful family adrift in hunky-dory land?

In this case, you have a little girl that is now in foster care ultimately because both parents ended up incarcerated. The lifetime likelihood of a white man going to prison is 2.6%, and for white women it is .05%. For that kid to have BOTH parents end up in prison is not in ANY WAY normal for average Americans! Maybe it is normal in YOUR world but I can guarantee you that is NOT normal for the rest of America!

[edit on 28-9-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

Well, I give you a star there. I very much value family myself, but it is not a very important value around me. Not in my own family, though they would certainly say differently, and not in my community for the most part. My own brother won't help me at all, because his new wife has me stereotyped as a deadbeat because I am homeless. Nevermind that I work everyday, despite the fact that I just had a stroke and have Lyme disease.

While your numbers ring true with some validity, you are still missing the overall point though. The causes and effect of poverty are not so easily quantified. More importantly, the problems of poverty have been well known to minority races for a very long time, expect to see the "white" numbers go higher as the economy slides. I happen to be one of those on that slide, and I am not alone among my friends. Like a man who just turned forty and had to move into his parents retirement condo.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by seejanerun

I think by not reporting this to the police, you are "enabling" him to continue his behavior. He already committed a felony. And you think he has not "crossed over".

You are also "protecting" him from the consequences of your husbands potential actions.

You also state that even one night in jail will make him much worse. This young man has been making his own choices and decisions ever since he was twelve years old, or for about four to six years. By now he is not an innocent little child, he is a criminal solving his problems illegally. That is the definition of a criminal Someone who solves their problems illegally.

He did this in broad daylight. He obviously knew he would be protected.

Fifty years ago your parents would have called his parents and he would have gotten his rear end warmed up for doing this, and it never would have happened again.

I think that CCW is to equalize the imbalance of power between aggressive males and non-aggressive females. Whether that is assault, threats, rape, violation of orders of protection, robbery, burgulary, car jacking, home invasion. That urban legend of the weapon being used on you is not true. Privately owned firearms are used 1.5 milliion times a year in USA to prevent or stop a crime.

He has a criminal view of reality. You do not share that same viewpoint.
So which of the two of you are correct?
He is willing to assault you to prove to you that his version is correct.
You are not willing to do anything but make excuses for him, see him as a child, think putting hin in jail will somehow make him worse. I got news, bet he has already been in jail, already has a probation officer.

He was using you to practice on for later in the day, when he would have gotten his real gun.

There is a growing number of persons who can only be communicated with through the medium of violence, some of their own medicine.

[edit on 12-10-2008 by fmcanarney]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Re. the OP:

The second that guy put his hands on you (the "body slam"), he crossed the line legally. That's assult and battery. If that happens again, call the cops fer gawd's sake!

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   
I always carry a straight razor with me when I'm not with a sizeable group of friends, generally with five or more people you're considered too large a hassle to annoy/intimidate/harass. Not a real weapon, but a deterrent, these sorts of people stop being brave as soon as the odds become even.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Hi Seejanerun.

I'm glad you're physically ok. It's no suprise that you'll be shaken up by what you went through. No doubt you will be thinking or thought, why me and what if...?

Please count yourself lucky, it could have turned out alot worse.

That person, I can't even call him a man because he obviously isn't, is a COWARD and a piece of scum!

Unfortunatley, there are people out there like him, who prey on easy targets. I doubt he would have done the same to a bloke of his own size, even though he had his two mates near him. Just think how small and pathetic he is, it's what most sane people will think of him and what he done . It wouldn't suprise me if his mates who were watching thought that too, in the back of their minds.

if it's not too late to report him, please do.

Take care.

Jono.

edit on 30-11-2010 by JonoEnglish because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
You should always walk against traffic so you can see whats coming towards you, being carefull around tight corners. Its stupid to walk with traffic as you can't see if a car is about to crash into you, who teaches anyone to walk with traffic?!?!

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

People that have nothing..Tend to get territorial and think they actually matter. The person that attacked you is living under the high probability/statistic.. that he will die within a year.His drug adiction have already removed most of his reasoning ability..Think of it as a cheap lesson to pick your routes carefully.It could have been much worse.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by seejanerun

IF I had been carrying a gun, 2 things would have probably happened. 1) They would have taken it away from me as that would be a great bounty for them or 2) I would have possibly shot a juvenile for a water gun. That I could not live with. He looked 17 or 18 and the crime would not have fit the punishment.

As to reporting it, I probably will but the Columbus Police aren't going to do anything about it. The other thing is this; As I said in my post I don't think he's crossed over to criminal yet and IF they put him in jail, even overnight, he's gonna come out a worse person that when he went in more likely than not.

You an idiot liberal, but you will learn.
Any 17 year old who knocks down a 48 year old women and tells her she doesnt belong there, should be *&(^#@.
If you had done the deed that would be one less for society to deal with later.

I was attacked.
I called the cops.
After talking to them, I was more afraid of them
then the attackers. They are not on your side.
They told me the attacker would be let out on
bail the next day. Imagine how pissed he would
be then. The cops were probably lying,anyway.
But the accomplice who I couldnt identify would
still be out and looking for me.
So you see why fixing a problem right away
is sometimes the better solution.
Welcome to the NWO.
edit on 15-2-2011 by RRokkyy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   

personally i wouldn't underestimate the situation just because it was water gun, maybe he had pepper spray or something toxic in it and after spraying you would proceed with what he was doing, i would calmy let him get close then i would get arond him wrap my arm around him and smash him into the ground, then test his spray gun on him to make sure it is safe and ask what he is doing.

Mod Note: Excessive Quoting – Please Review This Link
edit on Tue Feb 15 2011 by Jbird because: replaced entire OP with reply to

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Im sorry this happened to you. Racism and violence and adolescence is an ugly combination. What a punk to attack a woman, but at least you werent seriously hurt, and now you know not to walk there. And honestly, its not about you belonging there or not, its about the fact that some humans are just chimpanzees with less fur. They attack people who live in the same neighborhood with them even more often than strangers. They are just nasty monkeys. I was driving down the street today and saw a bunch of kids playing in the road, and cars slowed down so not to hit them, and the little monsters, (about 13-15 years old) started yelling "Hurry the # up" at the cars.

Just like there is a range of human intelligence, and a range of human height, and a range of human attractiveness, there is a range of human civility. And some people really are little more than apes with technology. Not all of them wear thug outfits, either, some of them wear suits.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by seejanerun

As to reporting it, I probably will but the Columbus Police aren't going to do anything about it. The other thing is this; As I said in my post I don't think he's crossed over to criminal yet and IF they put him in jail, even overnight, he's gonna come out a worse person that when he went in more likely than not.

Once again, thank all of you for the replies. I don't feel so alone.

Trust me, he has crossed over. A male that would hit a woman and knock her to the ground and terrorize her IS a criminal. That was a criminal act. And it wasnt a property crime.

Where I grew up, (Waianae) white people were known to try to talk their way out of things, not fight, and just so you know, it made them MORE of a target, not less. Punks love to attack people they think will not or cannot fight back. You as an older female, perfect target for a true punk.

The less consequences he has for his behavior, the more he gets away with, the more he will escalate. You have a duty to report him, honestly. Whats going on in your head that you want to protect someone from the consequences of his own behavior? VERY unhealthy.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I feel bad. I'm so sorryy for what happened.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   

It's ok you're just a woman awakening to the facts of life, I see this as a positive experience that releases you from some of your prior naivety.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   

It is in a strip mall about 2 miles from my house. Part of it was the beautiful weather, part of it was I was bored. I got to a street that I had never been down before but it was only 4 blocks long. I could see the other end of the street and the back of the strip mall I needed to go to from the top of the street. It is a major street.

I walked one block down so far so good. The second block I started to see gang graffiti and got a little nervous. The third block I saw apartment complexes that I wouldn't let my dog live in and thought damn I feel sorry for people that have to live like this day in and day out.

seejanerun..
First, I'm sorry this happened to you, and I am glad you are okay!
>>about 2 miles from my house>>>The second block I started to see gang graffiti and got a little nervous. The third block I saw apartment complexes that I wouldn't let my dog live in and thought damn I feel sorry for people that have to live like this day in and day out. >>

Nothing on you personally..
Just on my "fellow americans" in general..
People are soo involved in their own little worlds and boxes that they are blissfully ignorant to the poverty that is practically right next door to them.

I see this all the time, and it always bothers the hell out of me.
Im sorry.
when i have thoughts i have difficulty suppressing them...

Anyway, Again, Im glad youre safe.
Don't let it take a toll mentally, just use it as a lesson, and get on with it.

A lot of it probably had to do with what you first thought>>

The second block I started to see gang graffiti and got a little nervous.

They sensed your nervousness and couldnt 'help themselves".

Whether we're aware of it or not..
the vibes we are feeling... others are also feeling from us.

I have walked through the worst parts of Harlem,
a skinny whiteboy with dreadlocks (back then), from upstate...
and I got nothing but respect and kindness from those I passed..
and I think it was because I just told myself it was like any other city ive been in, and just held myself like i was not in 'some strange, scary place" and I was not nervous or weirded out at all.
i just carried myself like I do on my own street at home.

people can sense these things.. and they will react to them.

Good luck. be safe

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by dontknowanything
reply to post by Ahmose

Vibes??LOL.. Sixth sense gangstas?? LOL.. White boy with dreadlocks??? LOL yea that or they are low down dirty scum that deserve to live in poverty because that is where they are at mentally and even that is not a good excuse for their chimpanzee like behavior. If you ever went to iraq which I'm about 100% positive you haven't. What americans like you call poverty an average Iraqi would consider living like a king. And yet Iraqi's actually manage to be very civilized, mature, intelligent and understanding people. Don't give me any of that poverty next door bullsh##@# because I'm not buying it. Good for them I'm glad those apes live in poverty they definitely don't deserve any better.

I think I've made my point.

Im sorry, did you say something?

I have no time for ignorant dicks .

edit on 7-5-2011 by Ahmose because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by seejanerunThe mods will get upset if I type the rest of my thoughts

It's a sad state of affairs when one can't state the obvious facts.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Nobody really knows how they will react to a dangerous situation until placed in one.

Most people probably like to think they would do just fine or even come out on top, when the adverse is true.

Sometimes it happens to the best of us. Cops & soldiers get caught off guard too, and it's their job to be wary. Even a hardened veteran has an 'off' day every now & then. Any one of us can be caught with pants down. Any one of us could freeze up.

Confusion is a potent tactic. We know how to settle fear. We don't know how to deal with the unknown.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join