It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Runway accidents

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Today mark the 2nd and 3rd runway overrun accidents in as many days. The first was a Lear 35 on Saturday in NC that killed 4 people and left 2 in critical condition. It appears that they blew a tire on takeoff.

The second was an American 757 that had an electrical problem and diverted to O'Hare and slid off the end of the runway after blowing a tire.

The third was an F-28 carrying 62 people in Equador. Reports say that it hit an antenna at the end of the runway, slid 400 meters through a brick wall before stopping.

Not really seeing a conspiracy here, but three runway accidents in as many days in such different parts of the country/world sure seems a lot to me.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Must agree that its odd at least Zaph. Though I don't see how it would be any specific failure of a related system as you pointed out. Just a string off sad coincidences.

One thing I could pull out of it though is some already known facts. One being that this is one of the most dangerous parts of any flight fro anything to go wrong. Second that the issue runways and the areas around them not always having safe room to deal with emergencies due to urban sprawl or terrain.

*Good to see you online Zaph

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 08:36 AM
link   
With the number of flights there are a day, you are not actually seeing anything weird at all - the simple explanation is that after one event, the media starts reporting everything they can find in the same vein for a period of time. That just makes it seem like there are more incidents.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Doesn't change the factors in creating the crash though. The issues faced by airports and aviation in general when you need to land at airports that have next to no buffer zone for landing aircraft in the case of an over run.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
They almost had another runway accident in Allentown, PA yesterday. A United Express was cleared to takeoff after a Cessna landed. The trainee in the tower thought the Cessna had turned off, when it hadn't. The UA bird had to brake and swerve and missed it by roughly 10 feet.

Actually, I haven't really been seeing these reported in the media with the exception of the first one. The media reported them, and then forgot about them like most non-fatal accidents. Most of these are coming from Flight or other sources. They report all accidents.

[edit on 9/23/2008 by Zaphod58]

new topics

top topics

join