It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival Diet For Pennies

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by emsed1
reply to post by Amelie

I ordered a bucket of this from eBay. I believe it is made by Mormons in Orem, Utah. The LDS church seems to have a LOT of survival information available and they seem to be making preparations to hole up if needed.

I expect this will be just some bags of bland oatmeally goo, but it ran me about $80 on eBay and even though it says '3 months' it has been criticized for not really providing enough calories.

Here is the manufacturers website, which lists the ingredients:

www.foodforhealthint.com...

Ah yeah I just figured out if you click any of the foods for more info, there's a tab for nutrition. Looks pretty baron to me, it's all vegetables and soup and nothing of real nutritional value. There's no fat in any that I can see and getting some in your diet is extremely valuable on a calorie restrictive diet.

If you ebayed it real cheap, like 40 bucks or something can't really complain but around 100 is lunacy.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Sardines, sardines, sardines!

They are LOADED with calcium and have a lot of omega-3 fatty acids. Unlike the tuna, sardines are very low in mercury and other contaminants like that.

They're kind of pricy compared to tuna, but they are worth it. Hold your breath while you eat them.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by ANoNyMiKE

Dude, are you serious?? I just ate some tuna right out of the can minutes ago. Me and my girl friend have been eating a ton of tuna lately simply because it was cheap. All the while I have been warning my neighbor's about vaccinating their kids because of the mercury and arguing with the dentist to not use fluoride when they cleaned my teeth.

I can't believe I live in such a world that with all of it's modern commodities one must vigilantly sift through various inedible, genetically modified, or straight up poisoned food just to find something to eat. Are there any other foods I should be watching out for?

Edited for clarity.

[edit on 3-10-2008 by DisobedientCitizen]

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by DisobedientCitizen
reply to post by ANoNyMiKE

Dude, are you serious?? I just ate some tuna right out of the can minutes ago. Me and my girl friend have been eating a ton of tuna lately simply because it was cheap. All the while I have been warning my neighbor's about vaccinating their kids because of the mercury and arguing with the dentist to not use fluoride when they cleaned my teeth.

I can't believe I live in such a world that with all of it's modern commodities one must vigilantly sift through various inedible, genetically modified, or straight up poisoned food just to find something to eat. Are there any other foods I should be watching out for?

Edited for clarity.

[edit on 3-10-2008 by DisobedientCitizen]

Not so much as canned tuna. What happens is naturally occurring mercury is ingested by smaller ocean creatures that feed primarily on contaminated vegetation. The contamination is actually very slight but then top level predators like giant tuna eat the smaller ones who have mercury stored in their tissues. Finally we eat the tuna which is among the fish able to hang onto the most weight in mercury within their "meat". If you go higher up the food chain still, sharks have an even greater Hg content.

It's the water that makes the Hg diffuse over great distances so there's a small amount in basically everything; the higher up the food chain you go, the more they inherit from everything below it as food.

Although it's roughly double the price of canned tuna, you can get canned salmon (wild pink salmon being my favorite) which contain no mercury (undetectable, close enough). Something to do with fresh water lakes vs salty ocean habitat. I only eat canned salmon anyway, tastes better.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join