It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japanese Begin Working On Space Elevator

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Japanese Begin Working On Space Elevator

www.timesonline.co.uk

From cyborg housemaids and waterpowered cars to dog translators and rocket boots, Japanese boffins have racked up plenty of near-misses in the quest to turn science fiction into reality.

Now the finest scientific minds of Japan are devoting themselves to cracking the greatest sci-fi vision of all: the space elevator. Man has so far conquered space by painfully and inefficiently blasting himself out of the atmosphere but the 21st century should bring a more leisurely ride to the final frontier.

For chemists, physicists, material scientists, astronauts and dreamers across the globe, the space elevator represents the most tantalising of concepts: cables stronger and lighter than any fibre yet woven, tethered to the ground and disappearing beyond the atmosphere to a satellite docking station in geosynchronous orbit above Earth.

Up and down the 22,000 mile-long (36,000km) cables — or flat ribbons — will run the elevator carriages, themselves requiring huge breakthroughs in engineering to which the biggest Japanese companies and universities have turned their collective attention.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Do you think they will pull this off??

NASA has also been working on such a project but they made some universities to do research on certain parts of the project.

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Can you say the Tower of Babelson?

Soon we'll all be speaking Japanese

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro

LOL. Babelson. But no, we will all be speaking Chinese.

Ni hao ma?

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I'm surprised Congress didn't make the bailout for $709 Billion and throw the extra $9 to NASA to get this built ourselves. Nothing like a good old international space race to quiet the masses, eh?

Not even remotely kidding here, but I remember a time just a couple of months ago when I'd have puked a little in my mouth at the thought of a government spending $9 Billion on a theorhetical "space elevator." Strange how things change, isn't it. I'm sitting here right now thinking "Ah hell, $9 Billion isn't that much and it seems like a productive way to use the money if they can get it to work... why not?" (Off Topic: I saw in the Seattle Times this morning that they're projecting a $3.2 Bil deficit for 2008 for the state of Washington. I laughed and I laughed at how puny a figure that seemed.)

sty

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   
well, i guess US should focus on fining a way to access space after the retirement of the Space Shuttle . This is a more down-to-Earth problem I guess.
As for space elevators - i guess we will need another 30 years to develope the Carbon NanoTubes needed to create the system (unless a miracle happens )

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Tsunamis and hurricanes and earthquakes

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by '___'eed

LOL. Babelson. But no, we will all be speaking Chinese.

Ni hao ma?

Hen Hao

I think this would be fantastic and I love hearing about research ideas like this. I hope it works one day.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Oh wow - this is great, I always thought the real work on space elevators would begin at least 100 years in the future. I might actually live long enough to get a ride! woo hoo
I could go orbital base jumping for my 90th birthday!

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by computerwiz32

Surely not! Is this even physically possible? If so rather them than me. Just sounds a little extreme, even for future technologies. Sorry i'm not convinced this is possible. Too many factors to consider never mind the cost.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I love the Japanese.
The space elevator rules.
The other good thing someone should do is the huge magnetic rail gun to push stuff out of the gravity well, you know, send the beef jerky canisters ahead to Mars so we gots food to eat when we get there.
Like so:
[www.popularmechanics.com...]

only more so...
Both of these methods seem so much groovy than burning chemicals to get off-planet...you could use nuclear power to make the juice for the rail-gun, then use the rail-gun to jack the radioactive waste into space...
The Emir of Dubai ought to do something interesting with his money, or the Saudis, build a space elevator or a rail-gun, instead of magpie-ing about and buying up boring pre-existing assets...
Getting off-planet is the only political issue that matters...
If the Japanese are selling shares in the project, I'll buy-up...they ought to go public with the project, and market-capitalize, hell yeah...

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Where would you start building it from?

Shoot the ribbon up with a rocket? It would get awfully heavy for the rocket.

Or just keep sending pieces of the ribbon into space attaching them together and keep dropping them down towards earth?

Once the ribbon was so long and heavy, wouldn't it start pulling the "spacecraft" down it was attached to once the ribbon started getting close enough to earth that gravity started pulling on it?

And with the earths rotation, I guess some sort of spacecraft would have to match the earths rotation to keep the ribbon from just being wound around the planet.

[edit on 9/22/2008 by Keyhole]

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Yeah and thats just scratching the surface. After carefull consideration i've changed my opinion on this thread from 'physically impossible' to absolutely absurd!

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Keyhole

I'm mathematically ignorant but I believe from having read discussions and heard smart people talk that the objections you raise are fairly generally thought doable in principle, and that the sticking point is in the strength of the cable...like the article mentioned as well, they are still short in that department, and are relying on continued trends of improved strength to make it possible...

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Questions:
So who will fix it when it breaks down?
What type of music will be played?

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   
it wouldn't surprise me.

The Japanese once tried to launch a man into space with only water and they almost succeeded

but all the joking aside they are capable of a lot so why not?

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Questions:

BRIAN ENO - JUJU SPACE JAZZ

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   

I'm guessing anything from David Bowie's first few albums would be appropriate.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join