It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LateBreaking: Cities Running Out Of Gas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Oil jumped $27 and now cities are running out of gas.

First report from Houston

Some gasoline stations in parts of the Southeast are out of fuel and shortages could persist for days as refiners continue to recover from the one-two punch of hurricanes Ike and Gustav.

Industry officials also say a crush of people topping off tanks -- or panic buying in some cases -- can worsen the problem.

"The system is not equipped for that," said Jeff Lenard, spokesman for the National Association of Convenience Stores, which represents more than 2,200 gasoline retailers. "The system is equipped for people to buy gas once or twice a week."

Atlanta also appears to be running out.

Gas remained hard to find around much of metro Atlanta on Monday morning, as lingering supply complications in the wake of two hurricanes had many motorists driving miles out of their way in a search for fuel.

Overnight deliveries replenished supplies, at least partially, at some stations that were closed Sunday. But others remained dry. And some that did have fuel, like the Shell station at Clairmont and North Decatur roads near Decatur, were running out as cars lined up during the morning rush hour.

“I should be out, maybe before noon,” said manager Andy Jiw, shortly after putting a bag over another nozzle. By 7:30 a.m., cars were lined up five and six deep behind the only two pumps with gas.

Has anyone else heard anything on this?

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
A BP was coned off off I176 the other night in Cleveland. Just what we need. People idling for hours for gas and waste more of it.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Everything seems "normal" here in Northern Illinois.

Its kinda funny that people will wait in line for hours wasting fuel because there is a fuel shortage . Go sheeple Go!

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
When I got gas last Wed there were 2 stations that only had 87 and a day earlier one of them was closed.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Maybe it's time to invest in companies like this

Don't be surprised if you get hit tonight.
Lock it up people.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro

Lock it up people.

I completely agree with you. I bought one of those about 3 years ago when the prices first started rising.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro

Lock it up people.

Thats to keep the honest people out, In Miami they are drilling holes on the bottom of peoples tanks into a container, spilling half the load, talk about waste.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Thats weird that you posted this. Last night I went to the gas station for a pack of cigarettes. As I was pulling out of the spot I noticed out of the corner of my eye that the pump closest to me had a bag over the nozzle. I wonder if that had something to do with this article. I didn't really think enough of it at the time to look at the other pumps. I will make note of it later if I go again.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Am I safe in San Diego?

Do you think the government will go state by state shutting down the system?

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by '___'eed
Am I safe in San Diego?

Do you think the government will go state by state shutting down the system?

Dude all you have to do is drive across the border and get cheap gas there, I'm sure Meheeco doesnt have any shortage

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I am happy to report that here in Salt Lake City gas prices are falling..........

I just filled up my tank at 3.57 USD per gallon

......there WAS a line at this station with this 'lowest price in a long time'.....but it was not a long one. I only had to sit through a couple songs on a radio while I waited my turn.

2 weeks ago the best deal you could find was 3.93

[edit on 22-9-2008 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
tonight I am sure $0.50 jump min, $30.00 oil jump and 375 point crash today....

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by 38181

Its not that easy:

1) Mexico is out of the way. It may look close on a map, but its 45 min away.
If you throw in traffic it could be 3 hr to get there and up to 3hr to get back.

2) The tourism industry went to crap, the streets that were booming at night are now silent. Which means thieves and corupt cops have less money.

3) Passports and more documentation is needed. More controls are in place that make everything slower.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
They are simply doing this to continue to rise prices. As long as the US "government" lets them do as they please. Our troubles will continue.

In the 70's when we had the so called shortage - as soon as congress eliminated the control on gas prices - suddenly there was masses of gas.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
We have no lines, no waiting and no shortage in southeast Georgia.

I paid $ 3.87 per gallon yesterday.

My heart goes out to those that are having problems finding gas.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 01:24 AM
link   
I live in Canada and I have already witnessed the extent to which this credit crisis is even affecting smaller businesses on this side of the border. An office supply depot is currently out of stock of all supplies; I talked to one of the cashiers and she said that stocks are not being replenished for several weeks; which is implicit in suggesting that whatever I see on the shelves is what I get.

It looks like, however, the House is going to reconvene on the current bail out "concert" this Thursday night... investor confidence is apparently returning, but that doesn't mean there isn't an enormous possibility of the occurrence of a depression. It all depends on how easily we are willing to abandon our egotism for the sake of responsibility. This is our fault; we have to let a little corporate capitalism run its course and we should be able to reestablish financial order.

This all comes back to the founding fathers laying their foundation for Republic. They were wary that mob mentality of the few, or high ranking officials (Congress, in this case, which is meant to be a representative voice of the collective people) would distort the true vision this country was founded on, presumably destroying the liberties and welfare of the people in the process. However, even the collective people is not the best safeguard of its own liberty. The personal interests of the people shouldn't interfere with the good will of governance. "Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other (John Adams)." This is not a situation where it is "the people" pitted against the "Government". This is a situation where "some people" are weary, misinformed and generally spiteful of the current economic crisis, and that has distorted their ability to think for the greater good of the Republic and the rest of its people. It's become a game of blame.

In the end, it's the Congress' fault for not listening to the right people (for listening to the seats in front and behind them); it's their fault that a mentality of mob rule has overcome their ability to make a decision representative of an impartial voice of its constituent. It's the people's fault (some of them) for weighing their own interests over those of their neighbors, i.e. the "hard working Americans" (and their representatives) feeling they don't need to bail out their neighbors of a crisis that they themselves sowed.

Though I am not American, I wish I were. My business is, in fact, entirely contingent on the ability of my clients to attain credit, and having that all of my North American clients reside exclusively in the U.S. about half my income is itself at the grip of this entire financial crisis. Hope you can still take what I say seriously.

[edit on 2-10-2008 by cognoscente]

new topics

top topics

join