It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Men with sexist views 'earn more'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Men with sexist views 'earn more'

news.bbc.co.uk

Men who grow up thinking women should stay at home may be labelled "old-fashioned" - but could end up well ahead in the salary stakes.

A US study, published in the Journal of Applied Psychology, suggests that they will consistently out-earn more "modern-thinking" men.

On average, this meant an extra $8,500 (£4,722) a year.

One UK psychologist said men inclined to wield power in their relationships might also do this at work. The study, carried out by researchers at the University of Florida, was conducted on a large scale, with 12,686 men and women interviewed in 1979, when they were aged between 14 and 22, and three times in the following two decades, the last time in 2005.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.telegraph.co.uk
www.marieclaire.co.uk

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Out-earn more "modern-thinking" men?
Very strange find, from an unusual study.

Thoughts?

- Lee

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by lee anoma

Out-earn more "modern-thinking" men?
Very strange find, from an unusual study.

Thoughts?

That is out and out quality. I reckon it's because their women are at home and they have to earn more to make up for the fact that their wives aren't earning. I hope the women beat them into it aswell.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Don't flame me for this as I am a self proclaimed chauvinist. My 6 month G/F is a feminist so we make a odd pair but we still respect each other greatly.

I think that old school thinking for men has been devalued over time by the media and we are told that us being leaders and providers is out of date and sexist. Masculinity is frowned upon. We are naturally the leaders and providers, but so many man-boys are no longer men anymore, they are females with penises. I hear from women all the time that they want a real man, that they want chivalry. Well, I got news for ya sweetie, chivalry is dead and feminism killed it. Don't get me wrong, I think that women should be treated equally and payed the same as men, but men SHOULD STILL ACT LIKE MEN.

Men that are still in touch with the old school way of thinking and are more aggressive make better leaders and therefor get paid more and have better chances for advancement.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuperSecretSquirrel
but men SHOULD STILL ACT LIKE MEN.

There's two levels to that, discipline maketh man, manners maketh man and education maketh man. No quarrel. There are some parts of Spain I would never show my face in as a Brit, because of 'MEN' kicking the *snip* out of tables and bars and windows and locals. That's part of the problem with what you say, the 'laergin it up' crew really turn what you say into an almost dichotomous ambiguity.

Men that are still in touch with the old school way of thinking and are more aggressive make better leaders

Aggression can also be folly. True power is to both know when to be and not to be........'capable of being more aggressive'......I would respect that more. Leaders train too, and that is very feminine, gentle and something else that men need to understand.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 9/24/2008 by maria_stardust]

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by redled

I agree with what you say here. The aggressiveness needs to be controlled and testosterone run amok will cause serious problems as well. However, we should not allow ourselves to be made to feel guilty for being men and pressured to act in a more "metro"way though.

I really think that men who are old school are more self reliant and more driven, whether it be from long instilled obligations or a sense of pride that propels them to the front of the pack among their peers.

[edit on 22-9-2008 by SuperSecretSquirrel]

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperSecretSquirrel

It's more horses for courses for me....... Be driven enough to be strong, be strong enough to be weak, know when to give tender loving care, know when your loved ones need a kick in the balls, know how to hold your position for yourself, when to be romantic for a woman, and oh so many other anecdotes. I trust in my judgement, not stereotypes.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by redled
reply to post by SuperSecretSquirrel

It's more horses for courses for me....... Be driven enough to be strong, be strong enough to be weak, know when to give tender loving care, know when your loved ones need a kick in the balls, know how to hold your position for yourself, when to be romantic for a woman, and oh so many other anecdotes. I trust in my judgement, not stereotypes.

Very true, a lot of us just get bad wraps from the minority of real men that are real *snip*.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuperSecretSquirrel
Very true, a lot of us just get bad wraps from the minority of real men that are real *snip*.

Real *snip* are not real men. They just masquerade.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
That's completely understandable and almost obvious. The sexist man is probably a manly man. While morally in today's society that might not be couth, biologically we're still animals, we still have the alpha-male-beta-male structure determining our day to day workings. They are more dominate in every aspect of their life. In animal life, the male gets the female and does the muscle work, while the female takes care of the young. I know some people want to pretend we're past that but we aren't. Both genders are equally valuable- but not the same.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by redled

I think you and SuperSecretSquirrel are using the wrong term. It's not about being aggressive. It's about being on average more *assertive*.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I think there are a lot more "old school" men in the world than our culture will admit to. They just hide it under a cloak of acceptability.

Being modern is merely an affectation. Even those who think they've "become modern" can quickly step out of that shell when it becomes maladaptive or the situation becomes a crisis.

If there is ever a crisis that challenges the authority of the politically correct, I think you'd see the old ways reassert themselves instantly. And probably without much fanfare.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I believe the american family went down the drain the moment
women moved into the business world.

You were born with certain sexual reproductive organs for a reason.
All you gotta do is look at the divorce rate to see that Im right.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
The family really has gone down the tubes since the role of "mother" is so frowned upon by the neo-fems. It is so hard to be a mother and it is a thankless job. Women that choose to raise their kids instead of plop them in a daycare are seen as submissive and old-fashioned. Actually, they are heroes. Hasn't anyone ever heard the term, "The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world"? Giving your children to somebody else to raise while you go to work is so sad and is becoming increasingly necessary because households now rely on two incomes just to get by.

SO.....

It is more and more important the male do his best and be assertive when it comes to providing for his family monetarily and the woman's to provide they can for the children and husband. They are both incredibly important jobs and the sexes are not supposed to be equal at them.
A mother who forgoes a career to raise her children has far greater respect in my eyes than a female CEO that barely knows her kids.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Man = beating chest with fists and hunting wild game with spears
Woman = pregnant & serving man.

Seriously, what decade and century are we living in?

I am however totally grateful to chauvenistic rhetoric. I don't think I would have pushed myself as hard or gone this far in life to prove the "Boys" wrong about a girl.

I am the only female working in my lab, and the guys are scared of me...lol

I believe in Evolution of the mind

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft

I think there are a lot more "old school" men in the world than our culture will admit to. They just hide it under a cloak of acceptability.

I think so as well.

I mean the "old school" rewards old school mentality. I guess though if you play by the rules you get the spoils.

Even for some women who do get into the club, they sometimes over do it once there. Try to out "man" the boys using the more vulgar aspects of male behavior, just for the approval.

It's a sad sight.

- Lee

top topics

<<   2 >>

join