It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The only real solution?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I've been hanging out on the boards for a while, and it's very rare that I ever chime in. However, I am constantly seeing people who are complaining about the government, and about how we should "rise up" against the "evil", etc. etc.
I never see anyone actually trying to figure out a real solution to the problem, and to be honest, it's staring everyone right in the face in my opinion.
Yes, my solution is harsh, and I doubt that anyone would ever give up their air conditioners and heaters, but it's the only way to really say no to all the BS.
Walk away.
Right. Quit your jobs. Don't pay taxes. Don't support Governments or Corporations. It really is that simple.
It's only the people who hold the idea back with their constant desire for new TVs and such.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
It's not that simple, first of all that would never happen. Lots of people would be willing to work for dirt and would be very happy to see you walk off of your job. They'd be barging people in from malaysia and ethiopia faster than you can say rice cake.

Secondly, lots of people might think the way things are suck somethin awful but the fact is things work. If you go screwing with the ENTIRE system all at once you're talking cataclysm. Now in some general high minded sense you might say oh well that's just the big picture and we should get back to nature and blah blah. But in the back of your mind you'll be thinking "OH SHI*****!!!".

Destroying an entire countries way of life is not a "solution".

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I actually agree with you, but don't think it has to be "all or nothing".
Just working less, doing with a little less material stuff, and doing more for yourself and neighbours would go a long way.
I have always thought that we complain too much about what the system, government or big business is doing to us, because, if anything, we have been willing victims.
It doesn't matter what psychological tactics they used in commercials to get us to buy stuff we didn't need (and to go into huge debt over), in the end it was each of us that made the decision to open our pocketbooks ourselves and shell out the money we didn't have. It is our responsibility for going along with the propaganda, for buying into the program they set out for us.
We could just as easily have said no. Well maybe not easy but not so hard either. Even though not all your neighbours may join you, I think it is worth while for anyone who thinks a little about it to just go ahead and if not opt out, at least just pull back a bit from the craziness.
I've done it in my own life, and I have to say I have never been less stressed, (at least for my own situation, if not for the economy as a whole)
cheers!

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Yes, while quitting altogether instantly would be severe, cutting back is certainly where we should start. I already have personally. I quit my job, found one close enough to home that I can walk to. I haven't started my car in about 4 months now. I feel so great about the steps I have taken, but somehow it still doesn't seem to be enough.
I just don't understand all these people who complain about not enough money blah blah blah. If it's that bad, why don't they just lower their standards of living??

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Yeah, well, there's this thing called food that we all need to survive. If you have a free source don't keep it to yourself. Let us in on it.

I hear what you are saying, though. Bartering is good if you have a skill.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by kyanther

It's only the people who hold the idea back with their constant desire for new TVs and such.

Yeah, and their selfish desires to feed, clothe and house their children.

Seriously, once the economy fails we'll all be unemployed.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
It's a difficult problem, with no easy solution. Your solution is one of the few that could actually work, by which I mean that it could achieve the stated objectives; however, the results would be disastrous. I do not support this plan.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   
It's a difficult problem, with no easy solution. Your solution is one of the few that could actually work, by which I mean that it could achieve the stated objectives; however, the results would be disastrous. I do not support this plan.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by TheComte

Yeah, well, there's this thing called food that we all need to survive.

Sure, we all need food, but in the spirit of the conversation here, we don't all need it pre-cooked, processed and prepared. Not spending all your time working for the man, you might have more time to even grow some of your own, or at least buy locally fresh stuff and prepare it yourself at home.
The difference would mean less dependence on/support for the multi-national agro-business giants that are raping the earth.
The benefit might also be re-learning what it is to have food that actually tastes good and is good for you.
Food is just one arena where we can easily detach ourselves from the tentacles of big business. The part of living somewhere you can walk or bike almost everywhere you need to go is another. The list is endless once you start thinking about it.
And contrary to what the adds on tv say, life IS better without the junk they are trying to get us to become indebted slaves over.

top topics

join