It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America has jumped the shark

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Good thread. The phrase "jumped the shark", which I first heard on the Howard Stern program, sums the situation up in a way that sneaks through any defensive spin. It's almost like saying, "America, you've pooped your pants."

This is something that the mainstream media can't even hide any more. lol. They are like the band playing dance music on the deck of the Titanic. A noble effort, but just not that reassuring, even to the drunks at the bar.

America could be saved, but not by corporate bailouts. It would take a lot of arrests. There is a giant infrastructure of financial know how in the US, currently working for the oligarchs that is in need of a navigational adjustment.

America, elect someone like Hugo Chavez. Someone with balls who actually cares about you and your welfare.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by azureskys

Mods: I don't know what a person has to do to get some points around here, but please somone alocate azureskys some serious points for that post!!!

I won't try and turn this into some partisan rant but why is it I believe that Barack Obama is different? I mean I come at this from a populist working class perspective and I tend to side with the Liberals on most issues. I also agree with some Libertarian aspects especially getting out from under this private owned banking system called the Federal Reserve that isn't anymore Federal than FedEx. I know history has shown that many (not all) Democrats side with the Republicans on backing the elites despite the public rhetoric. However, With Obama, we have a person who owns just one car (that's for he and Michelle, while his opponent owns more than a dozen) and just one house while his opponent doesn't recall how many homes he has (the number has been set around 8 or so for he and Cindy). Moreover he has the resume that shows years of dedicated solid effort in working for the people in the community (the lower levels on the socioeconomic ladder) and then takes out student loans for his higher education finishing top of his class in graduate school where he then goes on to do more work for the people...my point (before I get too close to partisanship) is that here we have someone that many of us have dreamed about for a long time, and I think we have to be careful not to toss out the baby with the bathwater. Biden isn't of the elite upper classes either. This is why I am voting for him; plus his push for umbrella health care coverage for all the people and his support on a variety of other platform issues.

I think many of us are so fed up with politics and the games and lies that we may be overlooking the obvious and it's analogous to having spent years digging tilling for that one gold nugget to the point where when it actually shows up in the pan we toss it down the creek convinced it's just another chunk of fools gold. What if that is what we are doing here?

serious replies to this only please. I've read all the typical replies and heard it all on am talk radio. I know he's not perfect. For example, I do not enjoy the fact that he voted for FIFSA, and has moved more center after the primaries, but from my vantage point it looks like there might be some diamonds in the doggie doo and maybe we aughta’ take what we the people can get, because the other pile is just a steaming pile of half digested Alpo and not a gem in sight!

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by skyshow

I think your post borders on a thread hijack attempt. Obama is a straw man. He's not tough enough.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by ipsedixit

Your entitled to your opinions as we all are, but I meant that post in earnest and was looking for a genuine answer to my question. Posting that video in my opinion is to derail but since you did it Iv'e got the following to say: First in defense of my post (that I shouldn't have to defend): There are some excellent posts on here and were it many other Dems in his place I might be more persuaded. I think we have the real deal here, and while this thread points out what is happening, I think we all would like a solution to the madness of these past 8 years and then some...

And by the way, that was the most shamefull rediculous horrible interview I have ever seen in my entire life. He (O'Rhiely) wouldn't even allow him (Obama) to answer. There is something clinically wrong with that snip on Fox who has a chance to find out some real facts, but instead tries to whip up his viewership base for ratings and does so with out any respect whatsoever to the guest who agreed to be on his show. I don't care what party he is from or who it is, that was totally unprofessional and a complete display disgusting child like disrespect I have ever seen. And these guys said Barack was arrogant? Wow! They bring new meaning to the term!

Oh, and then the next day or so I had the misfortune of catching him (O'Rielly) on his radio show bragging about what a terrific job he did on that interview. I was like huh? I've worked in the media. That had to be the absolute worst piece of video I've ever sat through...I believe he said he got more out of him in that 30 minutes than he has ever got out of anyone before...I was like "what?" Thirty minutes of him interupting and derailing and not allowing him to ever answer; how could he somehow twist that into getting more out of him??? If that talking head opinionator ever had any credibility he totally lost it that day!

[edit on 23-9-2008 by skyshow]

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by skyshow
There is something clinically wrong with that idiot on Fox who has a chance to find out some real facts, but instead tries to whip up his viewership base for ratings and does so with out any respect whatsoever to this guy.

The fact is, the world no longers respects the United States or its president. Respect isn't a right. It's a priviledge earned. Obama did nothing to earn it.

O'Reilly might be an obnoxious boor, but he did America a big favour in that interview. He showed them that the democrats have put a poseur in nomination for the presidency. If Obama can't handle O'Reilly, how's he going to handle someone in Putin's league?

[edit on 23-9-2008 by ipsedixit]

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   

I think Barack was being gentle and respectful and trying his hardest to bring logic into an interview that had no motivation to be logical. Look, as this thread talks about, America is in sad shape. Let's stay on that issue and I was on here asking a question and now we have to argue about that stupid interview...huh?

moving on now...

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by skyshow

I agree with your last post. America's problem for many years (and it has been discussed in these forums before) is that it's governmental structure of three balancing branches, legislative, executive and judicial has been sabotaged and brought to a point where it is no longer functioning properly.

The executive branch, during the outgoing administration has been in outrageous contempt of congress and the intent of the consitution. But these problems didn't start with the Bush presidency.

America's big problem is what to do when you can't get the lawmakers themselves to enforce the law. The answer to that question will determine America's future.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 01:36 AM
link   

America's big problem is what to do when you can't get the lawmakers themselves to enforce the law. The answer to that question will determine America's future.

Excellent point. Following the "thumpin'" in 06', had the congress moved towards impeachment on multiple counts they would have been working to enforce the law. On the one hand that would have been a good thing because it would have set a precident and clear signal that that the executive branch is not above the law. On the other hand it likely would have turned into a long drawn out distraction at a time when our troops are stretched thin all over the globe and particularly in Iraq and Afganistan. It would have sidetracked the massive issues of the present (economic) which I think they all saw coming, and with an impeachment of two maybe more on the hill who knows what might of happened. Perhaps by taking it off the table they did us a favor so large it's almost unfathonable? I don't know, but some kind of deal was brokered with Pelosi. Man, how I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall when that meeting took place! Maybe we will never know?

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by sc2099

I really love your views. I'm only 28 but I read up on my history and have be disenchanted since the murder of Robert F. Kenndey. For some reason I have just had a spark of HOPE with the speahes of Obama. I know he may not have that much experinece but he does give some of us HOPE. I know he is the lesser of two EVILS but I think having a person who is NOt a rich white man for once, and who doesnt care about the advancement of the rich white men gives a slight glimmer of hope. It is also quite nice to feel that I'm not the only american who thinks things HAVE BEEN and ARE GOING doing the toilet since the 60's. They have kept the dosile american public in FEAR since the COLD WAR and CONTINUE to do so with the so called "Terrorists" of today. It makes me smile, just the slightest bit to know that I'm not the only american who is not a tool and can see that things are NOT how they are supposed to be. Other Americans may be Happy with their cars, plasma screens and whatnot, but I am and WILL NOT be happy until the true point of this country is realized. We are SUPPOSED to be a beacon for justice and democracy, not some Capatilistic Tyranical Money Grubbing shadow of itself. We are meant for SO much more and it's tmie for more Americans, and non Americans to REALIZE this and OUST the THEIVES that are controlling our everyday lives. We need to stand up for this country before it goes down the drain as you so eloquently predicted. STAND UP AMERICANS!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by skyshow

America has had generations of being decisive and dynamic for the most part. Most nations have periods like that but they are short, separated by long periods of just "muddling" through.

I think I see in your post the real thoughts of mainstream America. I like America in so many ways. I feel bad for it. The wrong people are going to have to suffer for misplaced trust.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam
I'm somewhat confused why it's only the US that is *SNIP*. Who do you think bought all of that worthless paper?

Whether the the realization has hit or not, we are all in this flaming airship together.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 9/22/2008 by maria_stardust]

yep, most of the so called 'free democratic' western nations along with their puppet sattelites around the globe could sink to the bottom...

I will not shed a tear, I will be selfish ignorant and arrogant *SNIP* just like most of people on the west are now

so you can learn on your mistakes BIG TIME

but the question is

will you (learn)?

[edit on 23-9-2008 by donhuangenaro]

[edit on 23-9-2008 by donhuangenaro]

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 02:35 AM
link   
I'm afraid that we are *snip*! (Figured I'd save the Moderator some time and snip it myself!) But what really scares me is that it seems all the conspiracy theories are coming together. The doomsday prophecies, the NWO, the PTB, the UFO connection, etc. Just about every 'wacko' conspiracy theory is mentioned by the Web Bot Program. Wanna know how bad were *snip*? Check out this thread!

Web Bot's Prediction for October 7th, 2008

You have no idea how *snip* we are!

[edit on 23-9-2008 by JaxonRoberts]

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by donhuangenaro

I can appreciate where you are coming from and that sentament. I'd like to point out that we are not all selfish and arrogant in the west. There are many many of us who genuinly care about the welbeing and welfare of all of the poeple's of the world and work hard to right social wrongs and promote peace and humane welfare. There are many things I can be proud of about the west while at the same time much that I can be ashamed of.

Those of us that don't fall into the camp you talk about will continue to fight for fairness, equity, an end to poverty and hunger, equality for all, peace, justice and general health and wealfare for all, because we are all part of the human planet right. We have our share of problems here in the west as well, but make no mistake we don't all fit that stereotype. The marketing culture along with the power obsessed, religious and corporate greed is very strong here (and in fairness these features aren't exclusive to just the west) and like a hungry beast she devours all in sight, but were there's a will there's a way...good people will eventually figure it out and I believe good will prevale, at least that's my hope. This planet is far to beautiful and her people with hearts will eventually all wake up and realize that too much is at stake to let it all go to waste.

Remember humanity has made some incredible leaps and advances over the past two centuries and in particular the past 50 some odd years or so, and in comparison to the hundreds of thousands of years of more recent evolution nothing like it has really ever happend before (circa industrial revolution and technological advance along with petroleum based society structures). We need to be patient and allow for the changes to be able to be managed properly and used efficiently in ways that benifit people (and not just a small privelaged few at the expense of everyone else) without depleating resources, creating conflics, and poluting the place.

Sky

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Lets just burn it all to the ground and rebuild from the ashes.
Lets just have an anarchists orgy of destruction and tear this prison apart.
Lets stop being a bunch of little girls and get medieval on the ones who are to blame.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Grassroots action must begin. Make no mistake. It will take a new Revolution to bring America back to its once proud glory. The first actions towards starting a Revolution are always grassroots committees and activism.

Gather a small circle of friends and family. Inform them of what's going on what its going to take to restore liberty. Keep a clear vision of the future and do your part to restore America.

“We are mortgaging the future of our children and grandchildren at record rates, and that is not only an issue of fiscal irresponsibility, it’s an issue of immorality.”

- David Walker, former Comptroller General of the United States (Speech to Birmingham Rotary Club, Jan. 9, 2008)

Crisis on Wall Street

Massive fluctuations in the stock market are signaling economic unrest at home and around the globe. On September 15th, the stock market dropped over 500 points - the largest point drop since 9/11.

The Federal Reserve’s recent bailouts of Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, and AIG have already cost American taxpayers hundreds of billions of dollars, and the price may ultimately be in the trillions.

What’s the Federal Reserve? It is an unelected, government-licensed monopoly that inflates the supply of dollars in our economy.

The mortgage crisis and the current economic turmoil is a direct result of the Federal Reserve’s artificial lowering of interest rates - which spurred major banks and other corporations to back bad mortgages.

And the bills are now coming due. With each new bailout, you are forced to take on the liabilities of Wall Street, all while the value of your paycheck decreases due to the inflationary policies of the Federal Reserve.

What are our leaders in Congress doing about it?

“No one knows what to do….”
- Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (Bloomberg.com, “Democratic Congress May Adjourn, Leave Crisis to Fed, Treasury,” September 18, 2008)

Now, Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson (former CEO of Goldman Sachs) and Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke want American taxpayers to take on $700 billion in bad mortgage-related assets.

Is there a solution?

America became the greatest, most prosperous nation in history through low taxes, constitutionally-limited government, personal freedom, and a belief in sound money. The way out of this current financial crisis is to return to those timeless principles:

1.) End the Bailouts - The Federal Reserve’s authority to use taxpayer money to bail out Wall Street must be revoked and the Fed must be held accountable.

2.) Stop Congress’ Reckless Spending - We must freeze all non-entitlement spending by the federal government at current levels and eliminate wasteful spending both domestically and in our trillion-dollar overseas budget.

3.) Cut Taxes - If Wall Street can be given your tax dollars, shouldn’t you get some back? It’s time to cut taxes and return your money to you. Combined with spending reform, this will increase the purchasing power of our dollars and help lessen the economic storm.

4.) Reform the Monetary System - If we are to have long-term economic progress, we must end the system of printing money out of thin air. The current laws limiting the circulation of gold and silver-backed currency must be overturned.

What can I do?

Contact your representative and senator today and let them know that it is time to end the Federal Reserve’s stranglehold on our economic future! Ask them to reject the Paulson and Bernanke plan to prop up reckless banks at your expense.

Capitol Hill switchboard - (202) 224-3121

Visit www.house.gov... and www.senate.gov... to find the websites of your representative and senator.

In time, we can turn our economy around and secure our children and grandchildren’s economic futures. But we must take action now!

*SNIP*

Mod Note: Terms & Conditions Of Use – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 9/23/2008 by maria_stardust]

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by bugs_n_recovery
..EVERYTHING that is wrong with this country is because of the "MEDIA" know one can think for them selves the media tells us what to think ,say , vote, eat, mainstream media is "THE MAN".

No doubt, I am becoming so sick and tired of much of the Mainstream Media lately. This is what I have said for a couple of years now: The Major News Sources Do Not Report The News, They Make The News.

All too often I find myself debating a political situation with an individual, and all that I hear from them are quotes from the MSM. So many people believe whatever they hear from a single News Source, even if it is a downright lie, and they believe it. That is one reason why I have taken to studying multiple News Sources, and so far I have been able to determine where I am hearing the "Real Stories", and where I see them Manipulated so often (usually due to a Partisan bias).

I have a MSM News Source that I trust more so than the others, and one of the major reasons belongs to the fact that they have a vast array of hosts and panels, covering the entire political spectrum of views and experience.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by UmbraSumus

Ron Paul , a fiscal conservative was treated like a laughing stock for his comments on the economic health of the U.S.A.
It may be time to review some of his statements , either way, unbridled capitalism has been consigned to the history books .

The reason that Ron Paul was laughed at is because so many of his ideologies are not founded in reality. He simply could not, and cannot accomplish much of what was stated, without bringing about the collapse of the United States. Sure, he had some great ideas here or there, but overall he had NO idea of what would truly be required in order to implement his "fixes".

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 05:26 AM
link   
HELLO aMERICA...

Wake up because now you are going to change your Hymn of Democracy for the people, to the people and of the people..for the following thanks to cheney and bush and Company...as Democracy for the banks and Enterprises, to the Banks and Enterperises and Of the same.

because who will be sustaining the final payment ofall the 700 Billions dollars for "saving" the futures fialures of the Richs....the future people of the USA, that is the sons and daughters adn the grand sons and agrnd daughters for many years to come.

So, the american System will be now an Aristocracy, and the servants or slaves will be the people who works all day and night for these poor little rich people that represent 5 % of the population at the most.

This was the main aim of the Illuminatists to get USA in interminables wars until is broken in its economy and then create "the solution" of the big payout for the Banks and Enterprises broken with the money of the people..your money and your future.

So, from now on the History of America is a new one, a very sad for the common citizen that will have to sustain every failure of every Banks or enterprise or firm that fail.

The only solution is to immigrate to another country, not precisely England because that is already a 1984 George Orwell Kingdom, but another one.

That is only thing I want to say...Sorry..and of course I dont live in the USA.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 05:41 AM
link   
It's not the end,

It's a period through which you will have to somehow survive

and then

it is a new start

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by sc2099

But did we really have a chance anyway? To even begin to fight the system now firmly in place we'd have to begin at around age 5 and be on constant vigil, scanning for BS and lies, reading between the lines, researching, learning, protesting, writing your representatives, running for office...all while trying to get a job, pay the bills, and if you're lucky start a family. It was an impossible task all along. And because of this, we all just did what we thought we could in our spare time and hoped for the best. It's too tiring to fight all the time. Hell, sometimes it's too tiring just reading ATS and processing what we're really dealing with.

I never thought I would have to say this but I'm glad I don't live in America anymore. I think of my friends and family still there with the same worry as if they lived in [insert volatile country here]. They used to poke fun at me for leaving, joking that I was a traitor. Now they regard my expat status with flat out envy. I feel like I've watched the setting of my childhood being burned down before my eyes. Please, America, help pick up the pieces, take up your own slack, and let's build it again.

I am sorry to inform you there is no escape wherever anyone might be. I'm not an American myself and I feel the same issues. You maybe not be able to trace the same things in wherever you are yet but they are there probably. Its not just an "American thing" we all have been lied to and also screwed. Hell, newer generations don't have a chance knowing how it used to be. They are already condemned by past actions they couldn't even have a choice about them. They never had a chance. We now have to live with this. We the People must realize ways to get out of this mess, instead for living in our own petty fantasy world that everything is still OK in our part of the woods.

Flag and a star!

[edit on 23-9-2008 by spacebot]

Even we have our Ron Pauls but this local "version" is not going to work out because the local political history lacks any real innovation and there are no radical paradigms neither the voting base that would support them. I guess we are even more screwed than you people.
I am considering the possibility that someone has slided just a little the political door open for Ron Pauls everywhere to enter the scene so we all might not feel too overwhelmed and have to resort to panicky actions upsetting the political status quo anywhere. These things always work like a chain of events across countries borders once they would get rolling by an unexpected public decision. I am very skeptical about all these things.

I absolutely realize that when the US goes down, it's taking down lots of others with its flaming tentacles. But for now, it's hard to take in the sheer scope of what's going on when you're worried if there will be gas to put in your car or if you will be getting a paycheck.

Yes it could and even in more ways than we would be expecting. Not everything is clear as light considering the global economy, so I do expect unpleasant surprises from literally nowhere.

Also voting DOES count! Don't let others convince you of the contrary. Even by a margin of counterfeit votes who gets to rule is decided by the voters but if voters have no realization of what is happening and their votes get trapped for either side of the establishment the powers that be remain in control. Voting will count until the very day that someone decides it should be abolished and also successfully has convinced the masses there is a need for this.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join