It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where are the gas trucks?????

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Remind your Congresspersons about this when they try and pass the phony drilling bill that only allows drilling where there is no oil. ANWAR could be producing in 3 years. Or, get used to it. Alternatives are decades away.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by SEEWHATUDO

Hey, thanks to all you providing updates on this from around the country. To those of us affected, it helps to know what is going on elsewhere. It is in fact comforting to know that this appears to be only (for the moment) a regional crisis.

But man I gotta tell yas, when you are facing your last tank of gas, it really does change your priorities. I can only imagine if I had kids, those priorities would be all the more complicated. Today I called a few stations in my work destination town, to find out if they had any gas, and they were out as well. So if I had gone, as my boss wanted me too, I'd have been screwed. 50 miles away from my house, in the middle of nowhere, and no gas.

If I were yous that currently have gas, I'd watch that situation like a hawk, and maybe even stock up a bit. That incident yesterday I described above was the first time I've ever been through anything like that over gasoline. I had to just laugh when I was down there in the middle of that, and one of my neighbors comes riding up onto the scene on a bike, with a gallon gas can (probably to mow his lawn). The look on his face when he saw that massive line of cars was priceless. Or scary, depending on how you look at it.

[edit on 22-9-2008 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   
There are several stations that have been keeping up with the demand pretty well, but only regular unleaded. I'm not worried about finding gas around me, but one of the stations looked a lot like the pictures and videos I saw of the energy crisis in 1979. There were four cars at every pump waiting.

The last time I filled up was the day this started. I paid $4.19/gallon, and it cost me $50 to fill up my little Honda. I FINALLY found a station that had gas left, and they had a $60 limit.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Funny you mention children...
2 of mine ride the bus and as of right now the school buses have gas so they will be going to school tomorrow.
My youngest child is in PreK and does not ride a bus and she will be staying home until this crisis clears up.
My husband needs the gas to get back and forth to work and we were only able to get enough gas for one car.
Wish we could stock up but as of right now there is no gas to stock up.
And if you are on a strict budget (like our family) the cost of stocking up or filling up more than one car breaks the bank.
Since Katrina this has been the 4th major gas shortage in Atlanta and it's suburbs, this should concern more people.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   
my parents live in franklin, tn. its a suburb of Nashville. they drove to Memphis, tn where i live and when i asked them about the gas shortage they were surprised. my dad told me the gas was above$4 a gallon, but he didn't have any trouble finding it at all. the Memphis news did show long lines in Nashville, with people waiting for gas.

in Memphis, tn we had some long lines when ikey hit but we never ran out, i never saw one station out of gas, and Memphis is less than 400 miles from Nashville.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   
It is business as usual here in Colorado. My husband is a truck driver who hauls fuel. There is nothing unusual from his standpoint.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Perhaps you can take the MARTA train into work. Atlanta has an extensive transit system. But then It could be you to far out? I know Cobb county has bus service for those who live there. I'm not trying to be rude, but the baby boomers and X'rs have burned up fuel like there's no tomorrow and spent money like drunken sailors for so long that now when the chickens finally come in to roost they can't handle it...denial ain't just a river in Egypt!

We have to start facing the inevitable reality that the major fields aren't producing as well as they have been and have passed peak...what's left is going to be far more expensive to get at and as a result prices are either going to shoot through the roof or we will have shortages or both. Also, why haven't more refineries been built? Literally that is the $billion question. It's either because it's not worth it because there isn't enough oil left, or it's in the interest of creating bottle necks and having shortages. Either way it's not in the best interests of the people or the national security, but it is in the best interests of the oil executives and speculators.

Maybe this really will serve as a wake up call for us to demand absolutely that we get off of 100% dependence of oil and move towards alternatives. Instead of gas mowers there are the silent, non polluting manual mowers for instance. On a more grand scale if our govn't put forward a new war like effort at putting affordable (subsidized...with the money we have blown on Iraq we could have done this already and been off of foreign oil) solar panels on every roof top then you could plug in your electric car when at home and plug in when you get to work...The oil companies (domestic and abroad) and the oil executives running the country have us all by the you know what’s and I for one think it's high time we do something about this and demand something different. It's time we dump the old guard and vote for folks who have "the people's" interests in mind...we see this with their background work and policy platforms...we need to take charge and demand change or...

Or we can do more of the same...watch the ball games, look at the Britney Spears stories in the tabloids, and be distracted with entertainment, and with our tail between our legs, keep voting in these oil people who are bought and paid for by the big corps...or we can change our habits like moving close to work, using public transport, and demanding electric cars and solar panels...

Someone brought up ANWAR; even if we drill there and suck it all out it won’t fix the problem, and at best will only slightly prolong things…they aren’t even drilling on the hundreds of millions of acres already set up and with almost 5,000 drilling permits…they like shortages, and like the old cliché’ you ain’t seen nothin’ yet! So go with the phony drill baby slogans, or demand real change. The choice is ours.

[edit on 22-9-2008 by skyshow]

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I'm in Woodstock GA, about 30 miles north of Atlanta, and of the 7 stations that are within about a 2 mile radius of my house, at any given time since Ike we've had 1 with gas, 2 tops.

Yesterday, 2 of the 7 stations had gas when we left to go eat. When we were done eating, 1 had run out again and the other was in the process of raising their price 14 cents.

Today I saw lines over 10 cars long where there was gas. My mom told me she saw lines backing up onto the freeway.

Colonial Pipeline services the Eastern US, from TX to NJ, and they are running at about 60% capacity. My father-in-law, who works for Colonial, told me it would be about 2 weeks before they are pushing 100% again. I can confirm that the Doraville tank farm/terminal/distribution center near Atlanta had run completely out of gas just after Ike hit.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

I haven't seen any stations around where I live out of gas at all. Prices have pretty much stabilized around $4 a gallon for the different blends give or take... Chevron being the typical 20 cents higher than anyone else.....

However as promised in my last post I did keep an eye out for fuel haulers... even on highways I could see but wasn't driving on to and from work.... didn't see a single one....

HOWEVER (dot com
) When I drove very late at night for my previous employer, I did notice the pattern was usually gas trucks at the stations around 4am... This could be why I don't see them anymore as I'm usually at home a half hour after midnight and in bed by 3am...

Sometimes... I vary my schedule...

[edit on 23-9-2008 by Shaker]

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

That's what I am wondering about, we have family in florida and they aren't seing any kind of shortage, but eveyone around here is running out! I also have family on the NC coast, no shortage there yet either.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by skyshow

Public transportation is non exsistant where I am, there are a few city buses that run from 7am-7pm, but they are very limited as to where they go, pretty much to the hospital and mall and back. I do not live in Atlanta, I live north of it, and I can tell you most of the surrounding towns are like mine, no public transportation.

Emergency vehicles and police cars are being told to sit without running the engine until a call comes in, instead of patroling like usual.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by skyshow

I think you aimed that at me and Marta does not service all of North Georgia just the main routes in the most populated areas. My husband works North of Cobb so nope, no Marta.
Now if public transportation was more widely spread around then yes we would take full advantage because we need all the extra money we can get. If we could get rid of gas prices, auto maintenance, tags, tax and payments believe me we would.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

Yep we have family in Florida (Panhandle) that are having no problem getting gas and say that prices have actually fallen. Can't figure that one out since those family members were the first to warn us of gas shortages 2 weeks ago, right before and after IKE.
Like I said before this is the 4th major gas shortage in and around Atlanta since Katrina, something to think about...
Seems ironic to me that gas prices stayed high and continued to rise while the rest of the country got a little break for a while. On the local news last night Atlanta placed 4th on highest gas prices in the nation, woo hoo!

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Atlanta uses a cleaner burning gas than other cities. That gives us a huge tax break for the city every year. We can't just go to another city to get a shipment. It has to come in from the sources, which is the problem. Until they get the pipelines back up and running, we're going to be short here.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I'm going all in now...

This is a damn conspiracy right here people:

www.bloomberg.com...

Kinder Morgan Energy Partners LP said a fire late yesterday shut its Pasadena oil terminal in Texas, which connects refineries from along the Gulf Coast to pipelines serving the eastern and Midwest U.S.

``We are having to pull barrels from other origin points,'' Steve Baker, a spokesman for Colonial Pipeline Co., which transports fuel from the terminal, said in a telephone interview today. ``That is a large tank farm with a lot of supply.''

So the Southeast is already crippled and now it will extend to the East Coast and Midwest. I swear they are just trying to immobilize us so that when the SHTF, no one can do anything or go anywhere.

I may have been on ATS just a bit too long but this stinks even if you are not wearing your tin-foil hat.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Atlanta got permission from the EPA to use regular gas until they can get a supply built up again. So we're starting to see more gas rolling in. We still have shortages, but it's going to get better pretty quickly.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

I'll confirm that as well, I live in Hillsboro

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Well today it really got bad around the Rome Ga area, I could only find a single station with gas and they were limiting the amount you could get, that was this afternoon, by the time I came to work even they were out, and the owner told me that they don't know when the next shipment would be in, but the gas driver had told him it could be a week or more.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join