It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain sending citizens misleading absentee ballots?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Source

"Misleading" absentee ballot applications are being mailed out by the McCain campaign to registered Democratic voters in purple states. The return addresses are inaccurate, as well as other information. "Misleading, lying" mailers are going out in Florida and other purple states. It's a caging tactic.

Calls are coming in verifying that this is happening in small towns, as well as larger ones.

The host is trying to determine the scale of this subversion of our democracy.

Dudes and dudettes, our democracy is being subverted.
Surely, this must be some kind of mistake, right? Right!?

[edit on 22-9-2008 by 4N6310]

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Interesting find, definitely not a mistake

I'll keep my eyes open for one of these, since I live in Florida. If anything comes up I'll scan it and let everyone see it for themselves; it can join the other pictures of similar subversive ballots that are popping up on the internet from people around the country.

On caging:

It's a common tactic for the Republican party these days.

The GOP slipped up in 2004 by sending e-mails to the anti-Bush website georgewbush.org instead of georgewbush.com, the e-mails had lists of people that lived in Jacksonville, Florida that the Republican party was going to try and suppress from voting.

Some good information on these sort of tactics in the past elections

You can see the e-mails and download the actual lists here if you're skeptical, just search that page for "caging"

Then you've got guys like Kris Kobach from Kansas in 2007 saying:

“To date, the Kansas GOP has identified and caged more voters in the last 11 months than the previous two years!”

Source with links to other interesting information on him and caging

Apparently he's proud.

I am going to conclude that this probably isn't something that was sanctioned by McCain, this is just the GOP machine at work.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by davion

Wow, those sneaky bastards.
I wonder if the democrats do the same thing.
Thanks for the great info, by the way.
I wonder what McCain would do if this were to be brought up with him. Would he condemn the misleading of american citizens seemingly for his own benefit? It would be the honorable thing to do, IMO.

Looks like the RNC has been at this for decades:
projectvote.org...

[edit on 22-9-2008 by 4N6310]

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Both parties have ways to push their votes, it's just the Republican party has been more vocal and gotten caught more. They don't really appear to hide it, they just hope people don't question what they are doing.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Today is October 3, 2008 and my son, a new voter who is registered Libertarian, received a McCain mailer today. The mailer has attached request postcards for absentee ballots and states on the card "I am a Republican voter in the county." This is blatantly FALSE! He is not a Republican he is a Libertarian, like me! I left messages at the state and national offices of the GOP but do not expect to hear back from them. I also contacted my county supervisor of elections who advised NOT mailing in the cards to obtain an absentee ballot since doing so could potentially disenfranchise his vote. They suggested we request a ballot directly from them. I also contacted my State supervisor of elections, who was no help other than to give me the #'s of the Federal Election Committee (also no help, they only handle finance issues) and the Department of State Division of Elections. The woman there was very helpful and gave me their web address- election.dos.state.fl.us... She suggested filing a complaint using their site, to do so, just search "complaint" on their site and it brings up a list. The top result is what you want. Print out the form and mail it along with a copy of the mailer if you also receive one. This is outrageous behavior and The Republican Party has ensured I will not vote for them and their slimy tactics!

join