It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Emergency/Disaster Rations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Does any one know of a way to buy " OFFICIAL" MRE's wholesale ?

On Ebay their asking $50-$75 a case plus another $30-$50 for shipping (insane).

Military surplus stores say the government won't allow them to sell them & anything I find on Craig's list is usually 2+ years old and you have no idea how they have been stored.

Help ! I need some cheap, safe MRE's.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Ask people you know who are/were in the military, that's about the cheapest way I know of! There are also certain websites that sell stuff made by the contractors (last I knew, major ones included Wornick and SoPackCo) for a decent price, I believe.

Or...

Get some investors together and place an order yourself from a contractor. That's what one guy I know did, I believe they had to order three pallets, they also needed a hand forklift to be ready to take the pallets of the truck when it arrived, however when all was said and done I believe each case worked out to be about $32 even with shipping taken into consideration (expensive).

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Hey, just get in the path of the next hurricane, then the Army will hand them out by the case at your local wal mart.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Cans are a fraction of the cost. If you don't want the weight, granola bars, power bars, crackers, foil packed tuna & chicken are a good alternative. Stick a meal in a gallon size ziplock and your good to go for a fraction of the cost.

Edit: almost forgot... candy bars, combos / trail mix mini bags, cheese & cracker mini packs, & Raisins, graham crackers.

I eat this stuff all day at work for lunch and my desk drawers are always packed with it. If you eat it, it doesn't go bad, otherwise rotate it out (use a marker on the bag with expiration date. This is so so much cheaper and taste better (to me anyway) than MRE's. Sure MRE's might have double the shelf life but cost 10 times more.

[edit on 22-9-2008 by infolurker]

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Agree with Infolurker. The prices you listed for MREs are basically the going rate. We have a couple of cases, and it cost almost as much to ship them here as the case cost. If you are set on acquiring MREs, I suggest you don't "bargain shop". It used to be fairly common to sell ancient, potentially harmful/outdated MREs. SOPACO is about the best I've found. I'm sure others have other favorite brands/types.

I've consumed a fair share of MREs. They've gotten better than in the past, but they are long on carbohydrates, salt and protein, and not necessarily "balanced" for the most part. My opinion. The only reason I can think of to have them is if you intend to carry everything you need on your back, and have a weight consideration. Even then, water is probably your primary weight @ about 8 pounds/gallon. In other words, if your intent is to have a self-sustaining week's worth of stuff on your back, then MREs make sense.

As Infolurker said, cans are cheaper, and you can balance your intake yourself. If you have planned for and have a secure or plentiful water source, dried/dehydrated foods can carry you for a long time. We have all three -- MREs, canned, and dried foods. Redundancy = choices, but a person has to be able to protect their goods.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
p.s. There are also "food tabs" sold that claim to have the caloric and protein requirements to sustain a person. We have two plastic bottles of these. They don't taste bad, but I've never tried to sustain myself on them. I think of them as a last-ditch thing, after the coconuts run out -- which for us would probably be..........never.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Go to work as a forest service fire fighter.

I would have a rented storage unit i keep in the summer stocked by the end of the fire season.

This used to keep me alive during the winter at collage when money got short.

The forest service uses about as much MREs as the US military.
its what the fire fighters live on when on the fire lines.

I got 4 meal a day of MREs and was so herd some time i would only eat 2.

The rest of mine went i my locked travel bag until we got back to the station house and i went to my storage locker.

At the end of the season i would have 20 to 30 cases.
and what i did not use during the winter at collage i would sell in the spring just before reporting for the summer fire season.

i believe that's where most of the MREs on EBay come from.

[edit on 24-9-2008 by ANNED]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

Agree with you on this as well. Its much cheaper and you can get much better nutrition by building your own MRE's. A gallon ziplock with the basics works very well. I stuff them with everything from power bars to ramen, dried beef, hard candy, fruit leather, dried milk, etc....

Aside from the cost benefit, I find these to be much lighter and easier to pack and store than a store bought MRE.

top topics

join